The Obama Legacy

I don't think a lot of people -- across the political spectrum, mind -- appreciate just how much America's affirmation of multiculturalism is the entire ball game for people who aren't in the majority demographic.

Nor have they grasped how fragile and hard-fought this affirmation was.

This reminds me... I didn't have any problem with the CNN guy's "White lash" comment on election night. People have been getting up in arms and pissed off every time a non-White person talks about issues they go through. Then they try to prove that it's all an exaggeration or that it's a lie or an anomaly. Or that "it happens to White people too!"

Blacks and other minorities have finally felt like they can speak out (maybe because a Black president was elected?), and then get punished for it. It was happening before Trump was elected. It's like these people want to make sure minorities go back to their proper place.

Kind of like how black people and minorities do not have to personally be killed at the hands of the police to have a reasonable fear and nervousness towards the police and a concern that racist prejudice and bias is running rampant through our police departments, I'd imagine.

OMG, what nonsense.

It's more rational than fearing "radical Islam", isn't it? I mean, how often do you come into contact with the police as opposed to ISIS members?

How many people of color have been wrongfully killed by police as opposed to how many people have been killed by Islamic terrorists in the past 30 years?

Got some numbers?

Kind of like how black people and minorities do not have to personally be killed at the hands of the police to have a reasonable fear and nervousness towards the police and a concern that racist prejudice and bias is running rampant through our police departments, I'd imagine.

OMG, what nonsense.

It's more rational than fearing "radical Islam", isn't it? I mean, how often do you come into contact with the police as opposed to ISIS members?

How many people of color have been wrongfully killed by police as opposed to how many people have been killed by Islamic terrorists in the past 30 years?

Here is some advice, comply don't die. If people of color are that afraid of police then why do they 1) do so many things that put them in contact with police and 2) when they do have contact, why do they force the police to become the judge, jury, and executioner?

With your first sentence, are you asking foreign, domestic or both? And what is the significance of 30 years - why that number?

With your second sentence, I used to think along the same lines as you. The thing you have to keep in mind is there are a lot of psychological and socio-economic reasons for black crime rates and cop on black violence, or vice versa. You're presenting a simple and elementary solution to a rather complex problem.

The root of all this is black Americans still face a lot of disparity in our culture - much of it is self-inflicted but much of it is also the result of centuries worth of racism.

• Fire 2

I think where he failed is that he made it "cool" to hate on the police, and this occurred as early as his first term with the incident regarding the Harvard professor that was breaking into his own house. And there were many other examples after that where he could have defended the 99.9% of police who are brave and risk their lives everyday for the betterment of our society while also making a point that there are a few bad apples that must be dealt with. Instead he and his cabinet encourage all the protests and the BLM movement and did little to quell the fires literally and figuratively.

You're full of absolute dogshit.

Obama has called for unity in the wake of the shootings, but also a recognition that biases and mistrust exist. He reiterated his belief that the country is not as divided as it seems and said he remains optimistic that things will improve. On Thursday, the President called himself “Mr. Hope.” But he acknowledged the reasoning behind both the Black Lives Matter movement and the frustration expressed by police who say they’re expected to do more than just police neighborhoods.

“You’d have to find any message that did not include a very strong support for law enforcement in all my utterances dating back to Ferguson,” Obama said. “I rely on law enforcement.”

“Kindness and compassion expressed by these two sides … that makes a big difference,” Obama said. “Sometimes people just want acknowledgment.”

Obama - "I don't think that what happens in Ferguson is typical. The overwhelming number of law enforcement officers have a really hard, dangerous job and they do it well and they do it fairly and they do it heroically. And I strongly believe that. We need to honor those folks and we need to respect them and to not just assume that they've got ill will or they're doing a bad job."

“I know that you do your jobs with distinction no matter the challenges you face. That’s part of wearing the badge,” Obama will say. “But we can’t expect you to contain and control problems that the rest of us aren’t willing to face or do anything about.”

Obama plans to say he could not tell the families of police officers who died in the line of duty he did everything he could to protect them.
“I told these grieving families how sorry I am for their loss,” he said. “But I could not honestly tell them that our country has done everything we could to keep their loved ones safe. And that’s a travesty.”

One speech does not change the tone he set throughout his Presidency, and again, there is evidence of a dip among blacks and whites regarding their views on race relations during his Presidency, something that had remained constant across multiple administrations before him. Are you old enough to even be posting on here?

Now regarding the bolded part, are you old enough to even be posting on here, because the level of immaturity you continue to display when pressed on a topic is outrageous.

Its not solely Obamas fault, and with every issue there are multiple factors play. But when the history books are written about race relations under Obama, it will not judge him kindly, and that is the point of this thread...what will be Obamas legacy.

You could be right. But it's just as likely that history will look back and see that racial tensions were high for a longer period of time than just 2008-2016 and things just flared up over that time period. Personally, I think Obama has done a lousy job getting out in front of many of these issues, and that he'll be remembered as a great campaigner and speaker but a poor leader.

Well said, especially the last sentence. Obama is an awesome orator and communicator but has really been a terrible leader, and that was the criticism of him heading into taking the oath of office...that he had zero executive or leadership experience. I think where he failed is that he made it "cool" to hate on the police, and this occurred as early as his first term with the incident regarding the Harvard professor that was breaking into his own house. And there were many other examples after that where he could have defended the 99.9% of police who are brave and risk their lives everyday for the betterment of our society while also making a point that there are a few bad apples that must be dealt with. Instead he and his cabinet encourage all the protests and the BLM movement and did little to quell the fires literally and figuratively.

Too early in the morning ... I +1'd this instead of hitting reply - so don't think there's someone aligned with you on this.

What I meant to type in reply is that your comments above are just irresponsible and ignorant.

Seriously, I disagree with you politically but respect your right to feel as if you do, but this is offensive.

There were multiple times where Obama could have used the bully pulpit to discourage rioting and violence, and instead he either sat back and let it happen without saying much (and we know how he loves to give speeches), or he actually offered support to groups like Black Lives Matters who have protested on more than one occasion that they want "dead cops." Now we can debate whether he took this approach because of his ideological views, or the fact that he really does not understand leadership. I think it could be a combination of both as his lack of leadership experience was evident in many other parts of his tenure.

Just because various police officers were exposed rightfully or wrongfully killing black people that resulted in riots or protests during Obama's time as President, doesn't mean he was the CAUSE of that unrest.

So let's say during the Trump administration that he continues to speak out about Muslims and targeting muslims for fears of terrorist attacks, yet there is no legislation that actually states that officials or officers should target them. Yet when the data comes through, there is a spike in how many Muslims are targeted from 2017 to 2020. Would you suggest the DJT deserved any blame for that increase in Muslims that were targeted?

Your hypothetical equivalence is absurd as Zrod and Landlord have pointed out.

Another dodge...is that three from you this week?

I think where he failed is that he made it "cool" to hate on the police, and this occurred as early as his first term with the incident regarding the Harvard professor that was breaking into his own house. And there were many other examples after that where he could have defended the 99.9% of police who are brave and risk their lives everyday for the betterment of our society while also making a point that there are a few bad apples that must be dealt with. Instead he and his cabinet encourage all the protests and the BLM movement and did little to quell the fires literally and figuratively.

Obama has called for unity in the wake of the shootings, but also a recognition that biases and mistrust exist. He reiterated his belief that the country is not as divided as it seems and said he remains optimistic that things will improve. On Thursday, the President called himself “Mr. Hope.” But he acknowledged the reasoning behind both the Black Lives Matter movement and the frustration expressed by police who say they’re expected to do more than just police neighborhoods.

“You’d have to find any message that did not include a very strong support for law enforcement in all my utterances dating back to Ferguson,” Obama said. “I rely on law enforcement.”

“Kindness and compassion expressed by these two sides … that makes a big difference,” Obama said. “Sometimes people just want acknowledgment.”

Obama - "I don't think that what happens in Ferguson is typical. The overwhelming number of law enforcement officers have a really hard, dangerous job and they do it well and they do it fairly and they do it heroically. And I strongly believe that. We need to honor those folks and we need to respect them and to not just assume that they've got ill will or they're doing a bad job."

“I know that you do your jobs with distinction no matter the challenges you face. That’s part of wearing the badge,” Obama will say. “But we can’t expect you to contain and control problems that the rest of us aren’t willing to face or do anything about.”

Obama plans to say he could not tell the families of police officers who died in the line of duty he did everything he could to protect them.
“I told these grieving families how sorry I am for their loss,” he said. “But I could not honestly tell them that our country has done everything we could to keep their loved ones safe. And that’s a travesty.”

One speech does not change the tone he set throughout his Presidency, and again, there is evidence of a dip among blacks and whites regarding their views on race relations during his Presidency, something that had remained constant across multiple administrations before him. Are you old enough to even be posting on here?

Now regarding the bolded part, are you old enough to even be posting on here, because the level of immaturity you continue to display when pressed on a topic is outrageous.

He just presented you with loads of quotes from Obama condemning violence, supporting the police, and generally disproving your generally completely wrong assertions. But I suppose your feelings about his "tone" take precedent over the things Obama has actually said and done while in office? And I suppose the dip you talk about regarding race relations was entirely on Obama, right?

Or could it just be that you don't like that fact that he's speaking out about the plight millions of black Americans face every time they have an interaction with police?

This is the problem with the GOP. Any amount of speaking to any kind of race-related issue re: the police automatically becomes an attack on the police from a person who doesn't support them. It's irrational, emotion-based bullsh*t that prevents a mature conversation from happening about a serious subject.

One *CAN* criticize our policing system and still support the police.

But hey, as Newt Gingrich said, "You can have your facts, and we'll have our feelings."

Please, also, if you would, lay out a cogent plan you think would work to improve race relations. What do you think would be effective in this arena?

• Fire 3

He just presented you with loads of quotes from Obama condemning violence, supporting the police, and generally disproving your generally completely wrong assertions. But I suppose your feelings about his "tone" take precedent over the things Obama has actually said and done while in office? And I suppose the dip you talk about regarding race relations was entirely on Obama, right?

Or could it just be that you don't like that fact that he's speaking out about the plight millions of black Americans face every time they have an interaction with police?

This is the problem with the GOP. Any amount of speaking to any kind of race-related issue re: the police automatically becomes an attack on the police from a person who doesn't support them. It's irrational, emotion-based bullsh*t that prevents a mature conversation from happening about a serious subject.

One *CAN* criticize our policing system and still support the police.

But hey, as Newt Gingrich said, "You can have your facts, and we'll have our feelings."

Please, also, if you would, lay out a cogent plan you think would work to improve race relations. What do you think would be effective in this arena?

Pulling a few statements out of one or two speeches does not equate to Obama creating an environment to maintain or improve race relations. The only speech I recall Obama offering some recognition that the anti-cop sentiment he and his party have put forward over the last 8 years was in Dallas after that massacre. More times than not, he has been quiet or offered more support for groups like BLM. As for facts and feelings, the quotes referenced above are not "facts" or data points at all. The data I showed for a recurring persistent poll of race relations in America over the course of many administrations shows a change has taken place in the last 4 or 5 years. You can try to assign blame to all sorts of other things, but as I said before, when the history books are written, it will be noted how divided Obama left this country across multiple elements, especially along racial lines.

What can improve race relations? It's not something that can happen overnight, but I think having a leader that seeks policies that helps members of all races is a great place to start. We have seen income inequality and the economic fortunes of blacks decline over the last 8 years, and I think it will be important for Trump to pursue policies that really help out minority groups. There are so many more things that could be done, but that would be a starting point.