I just seems tragic to me that Solich was fired to prevent Nebraska football from drifting into mediocrity, and we haven't had a single season that exceeded Solich's last season since. I hop 2016 is the year we suffer no more than 3 losses. If we have no more than 3 losses, I am satisfied even if we don't win our side of the conference.

Good breakdown, I'm suprised we're ahead of Wisky.

They haven't consistently recruited well. They've simply had above average coaching, and continuity (for awhile anyway).

I think Wisky has also fallen "victim" to the recruiting rankings biases because the upper midwest is not considered a recruiting hotbed, so kids from up there are traditionally ranked lower than kids from a coast or the south.

Since 2008, they've had roughly 33 players draft, including 5 first rounders and 4 second rounders. That's not up there with the powerhouse recruiting schools, but it's definitely at the top of the rest (probably good for 10th to 20th in the nation over that period, taking a guess). Of those top 2 round picks, all were 3-star or lower guys, except Melvin Gordon, who was a .89.. 4 star

It's also helped that they've been particularly talented along the lines, based mainly on homegrown kids. They had arguably as good of a run of local wisconsin talent along the lines as the Huskers with NE talent in the 90s.

They struggle to recruit because many kids they are after don't qualify academically. This problem is further compounded by their location.

This is why Whiskey sucked for so long before Alvarez came along and made them into a mini me of UNL

My point is, they haven't struggled to recruit. Their accomplishments are simply underrated by the recruitniks.

They are situated in a state 3x bigger than NE by population and are a beautiful campus three hours outside of Chicago. And situated an hour or so from Milwaukee and Minneapolis.

They won't be "mini me" for long (if they even still are) if we're not careful.

Luckily, I think they made a bad error in their most recent coaching hire.

I just seems tragic to me that Solich was fired to prevent Nebraska football from drifting into mediocrity.

While I agree to an extent, I would also argue this is an opinion almost entirely substantiated on hindsight. Yes, we essentially fell into the trap we were trying to avoid, but I contend the university had legitimate reasons for wanting to get rid of Solich at that time.

The steps they took following Solich's release are equally if not more culpable to the current Husker football dynamic. That too, however, comes from the benefit of hindsight.

I just seems tragic to me that Solich was fired to prevent Nebraska football from drifting into mediocrity.

While I agree to an extent, I would also argue this is an opinion almost entirely substantiated on hindsight. Yes, we essentially fell into the trap we were trying to avoid, but I contend the university had legitimate reasons for wanting to get rid of Solich at that time.

The steps they took following Solich's release are equally if not more culpable to the current Husker football dynamic. That too, however, comes from the benefit of hindsight.

Yeah, the subsequent events doesn't make the decision invalid. We weren't headed the right dirction - worst season in however many years and a "rebound" season that looked good on paper but really wasn't that great.

When your worst regular season is still .500+, that tells you something. And making a bad decision sometimes guarantees bad outcomes (like the desparation hire of an NFL castaway).

I won't rehash '03, but I thought that season and staff showed a hell of a lot of promise. IMO, more promise than we have at this moment.

• Fire 1

I think we have a tougher season on our hands than some posters are saying. Many people forget, it takes a while to build the "win" mentality. When a team has built that tradition over years, it builds extra confidence (even when it shouldn't be there talent-wise really). Oregan will come in with that mentality. Teams who beat us last year, know they can beat us if they play well. This season is no gimme.

Just because they have that mentality, doesn't mean they will beat us, but they will be ready for us.

I wouldn't be surprised at all by a 7-win season. I also wouldn't be surprised by a 10-win season. Pass defense, Tommy, play calls, will all dictate how this season goes. I don't see our pass defense being great, but I can't imagine it will be hard to improve upon last years team. Tommy should improve, but won't if play calling doesn't improve. It isn't his fault if plays aren't called to his strengths, and if we expect him to pass way too much like most of last year.

I will not be there it makes me too angry to be there and watch my team lose again and again.

That's good, man, because the players, coaches, and other fans don't want you there.

Agree....I would hate to be the poor sap that would have to sit by him.

I'll sit by him at the game, at a sports bar, or in our house.

18 years is a long time... and a never ending boatload of excuses makes it even harder to deal with.

What KL is experiencing is a natural human reaction.

Anyone who does not feel disappointment at the last 18 years has some other agenda other than wanting what all sports fans want.

Sports fans by their very nature want their favorite athlete or team to win the race... to take the title... to win the championship. It's the nature of sports.