Bill says 2 former teams wish they could come back..

Our volleyball team is one of two teams in the country that make a profit. This is straight from Dani Busboom's mouth.

It doesn't hurt our athletic department, but it really doesn't bring in any significant money. There are no large TV contracts for volleyball. There is not alot of interest for volleyball outside of the state.

Nebraska Volleyball is atypical in that it generates net positive revenue, but you're right STL Husker, it is not a major revenue-generator. They pay their own bills, but I don't think there's a ton of surplus. Certainly not a surplus like you'd find in a major men's basketball program like Kansas or Duke.

But those sports don't generate revenue and we all know that this is what it is all about.

Apparently it's not what it's ALL about, because those sports still exist. If it was all about generating revenue, football and men's basketball would be the only college sports around.

But those sports don't generate revenue and we all know that this is what it is all about.

Apparently it's not what it's ALL about, because those sports still exist. If it was all about generating revenue, football and men's basketball would be the only college sports around.

Technically it still could be ALL about the revenue and the other sports just exist to satisfy Title IX.

• Fire 1

Technically it still could be ALL about the revenue and the other sports just exist to satisfy Title IX.

If that were the case we'd only have 2 men's sports and enough women's to create a balance.

If that were the case we'd only have 2 men's sports and enough women's to create a balance.
A lot of colleges and universities have cut men's sports in order to comply with Title IX. I have nothing against with Title IX, but they shouldn't count football in the numbers. There isn't a female sport that has the scholarship numbers that football does, so it automatically creates a large imbalance.

I wasn't worried until the AD felt the need to tweet about it. I trust him about as far as I can throw him. Now we'll all get an email while we're away on Thanksgiving break explaining why we're going back to the Big 12. :(

I read an article yesterday that quoted Bill as saying that there are two teams that he "knows of" that want to come back to the Big 12. Maybe not the exact quote but he made it clear what he meant.

I have no idea what will happen... we'll just have to wait and see. We got stuck in this division (west) by the B1G that is far removed from the recruiting center of the conference and that has most of the bottom dwellers in the conference. They did us no favors by doing that.

Where would you have had them put us... in the east as the furthermost west team? They tried breaking up the divisions differently and we saw how that worked. If we were in the east I'm sure there would be those conspiracy theorists that would claim we were put there to show us how tough the big ten is and that the big ten was out to get us/keep us down.

The B1G East Division has 7 teams.

5 of those teams... are ahead of us in the current recruiting class rankings and a 6th team (Penn State) is virtually tied with us.

Recruiting rankings don't mean crap in July.

Reminds me of all the whining last year about how low our recruiting ranking was...we certainly didn't finish poorly. In fact, I'd say we did pretty darn good in the end. Maybe instead of complaining about what our ranking is now, maybe we should wait until February and see where it ends up?

I see no reason why Nebraska would want to go back to the Big 12, but I wonder if there is any pressure coming from the Big 10. What exactly have we provided to raise the prestige of the conference? We have been middle of the pack athletically in the major sports and we lose our AAU status right as we enter the conference. When I look at the reasons why Maryland and Rutgers were brought in, they don't align with what we provide or were told when we joined. Our football program seems to have lost ground since we joined and basketball still doesn't draw any excitement outside the state. This is just me trying to find a reason why these rumors might be true.

You are meaning just in football correct? Cause last time I checked, we have been successful in volleyball, GBB, softball, at times in baseball and both track teams seem to be doing fairly well.

As far as the AAU, we would have lost it no matter what. We had been fighting to stay in it for 10 years prior to losing it. It was a no-win situation.

Maryland and Rutgers were brought in because of TV sets, that is pretty much it.

I mean in sports that generate revenue for the conference - football and basketball. Volleyball has been incredibly successful, unfortunately, that doesn't really mean much in the financial picture. It's a hard sell to say that Nebraska creates a lot extra money when the contracts are renewed.

I know the AAU thing is completely out of our control and it was inevitable, but I would hear all the time how every Big 10 school was an AAU member.

TV sets were exactly the reason why Rutgers and Maryland were added, which makes me wonder why we were added just a couple years before. It definitely wasn't for the number of TV sets in the state. We were told it was because of the prestige the program. That prestige is not trending up right now.

You're right, there just aren't that many TV sets in Nebraska. However, there are loads and loads of Nebraska fans everywhere you go. I live in the Denver metro area and every single Fox and Hound is a Nebraska watch site and they are all packed on game days. That's just one city with one restaurant chain.

Back in the '80s there was a group in Anchorage that made a long distance phone call each game day so they could listen to the radio broadcast of the game. Back then long distance phone calls to the lower 48 were not cheap, I know, I was stationed up there and spent plenty of coin talking to friends and family.

There are Husker fans all over the country. We bring plenty of eyeballs to the TV sets.

Hopefully we can get the AAU thing resolved and get back in. We spend plenty of research dollars, we just don't spend enough of them in Lincoln.

I see no reason why Nebraska would want to go back to the Big 12, but I wonder if there is any pressure coming from the Big 10. What exactly have we provided to raise the prestige of the conference? We have been middle of the pack athletically in the major sports and we lose our AAU status right as we enter the conference. When I look at the reasons why Maryland and Rutgers were brought in, they don't align with what we provide or were told when we joined. Our football program seems to have lost ground since we joined and basketball still doesn't draw any excitement outside the state. This is just me trying to find a reason why these rumors might be true.

You are meaning just in football correct? Cause last time I checked, we have been successful in volleyball, GBB, softball, at times in baseball and both track teams seem to be doing fairly well.

As far as the AAU, we would have lost it no matter what. We had been fighting to stay in it for 10 years prior to losing it. It was a no-win situation.

Maryland and Rutgers were brought in because of TV sets, that is pretty much it.

I mean in sports that generate revenue for the conference - football and basketball. Volleyball has been incredibly successful, unfortunately, that doesn't really mean much in the financial picture. It's a hard sell to say that Nebraska creates a lot extra money when the contracts are renewed.

I know the AAU thing is completely out of our control and it was inevitable, but I would hear all the time how every Big 10 school was an AAU member.

TV sets were exactly the reason why Rutgers and Maryland were added, which makes me wonder why we were added just a couple years before. It definitely wasn't for the number of TV sets in the state. We were told it was because of the prestige the program. That prestige is not trending up right now.

You're right, there just aren't that many TV sets in Nebraska. However, there are loads and loads of Nebraska fans everywhere you go. I live in the Denver metro area and every single Fox and Hound is a Nebraska watch site and they are all packed on game days. That's just one city with one restaurant chain.

Back in the '80s there was a group in Anchorage that made a long distance phone call each game day so they could listen to the radio broadcast of the game. Back then long distance phone calls to the lower 48 were not cheap, I know, I was stationed up there and spent plenty of coin talking to friends and family.

There are Husker fans all over the country. We bring plenty of eyeballs to the TV sets.

Hopefully we can get the AAU thing resolved and get back in. We spend plenty of research dollars, we just don't spend enough of them in Lincoln.

Doubtful. The AAU considers things like "How Homeric verse influenced the Italian mural painting post-Michelangelo" as being more valuable than say, increasing crop yields so we can eat.

Doubtful. The AAU considers things like "How Homeric verse influenced the Italian mural painting post-Michelangelo" as being more valuable than say, increasing crop yields so we can eat.

We need to start spending some of medical research dollars in Lincoln. We spend plenty, it just isn't in the right places from a geographical standpoint. If we could count all the medical research dollars spent in Omaha we would have never been considered for removal.

We need to start spending some of medical research dollars in Lincoln. We spend plenty, it just isn't in the right places from a geographical standpoint. If we could count all the medical research dollars spent in Omaha we would have never been considered for removal.
I think that the problem is because UNMC is considered a separate entity than UNL. Not geography. That and the fact that agricultural research isn't counted for some asinine reason. Nebraska is doing just fine without the AAU, and doing important research to boot.
  • Fire 1

I think that the problem is because UNMC is considered a separate entity than UNL. Not geography. That and the fact that agricultural research isn't counted for some asinine reason. Nebraska is doing just fine without the AAU, and doing important research to boot.

The AAU has some weird rules. I could be wrong on this but I seem to recall that it's because the medical school is in Omaha and not in Lincoln with UNL.

The AAU has some weird rules. I could be wrong on this but I seem to recall that it's because the medical school is in Omaha and not in Lincoln with UNL.
You are mostly correct. They don't consider UNMC part of UNL, as its treated as a separate school in the University of Nebraska system. I also think there is an issue that the AAU doesn't "count" the ag research that is done at UNL, which is a bunch of horse hockey.