WR Coach Keith Williams Arrested on Suspicion of DUI

ADS

This is all wild speculation on my part but I'm going to post it anyway.

I'm curious if his priors had at least something to do with his career path. I've always thought it was a little odd that he was at Tulane. With the energy and enthusiasm he has and all the NFL guys that he's working with, it just always seemed odd that he hadn't already moved up to a bigger program before now. At 45 years old, it's not like he's just a young guy working his way up.

But with this coming out, it kind of seems like it might fill in the gaps. He was at San Jose State from 01-04. He apparently left San Jose State in 04 for .... San Jose City College. Not exactly a step up but if the first DUI was in 04 it might be related. He was at San Jose City College until 08 when he went to Fresno State. That is a step up but is also in the similar time-frame of the second offense. He spent three years at Fresno State and three years at Tulane before coming here. I'm not sure a lot can be drawn from that other than the steps up in his career don't seem to fit what we've seen since he got here.

Anyway, doesn't mean much other than it might provide a little insight into what's gone on before and might indicate that it's entirely possible that it's affected his career before now.

Perhaps Riley saw that he had no issues for 7-8 years and gave him a chance to prove himself. Which worked...........for a season.

One sobering realization after all of this is that it's clear that many people truly do not take driving under the influence seriously.

I don't think it's necessarily not taking it seriously. Some people may think that it doesn't warrant losing your job if you can still do said job.

Of course he could still perform his job. What kind of message are you sending though by letting him continue teaching/leading college kids albeit in a fairly public role after just getting your 3rd DUI charge?

Not a good one that's for sure.

I see both sides to this so I'm not here to condone what KW did. However, people seem to be very quick to judge that he has a problem with drinking purely because this is the third incident. It'd be a little different if all these incidents occurred in say the last 3 years. I saw it briefly brought up earlier in the thread but if he was truly out wining and dining Lewis' coaches, and drinking with them, that does not sound like a man that has a problem. Sounds like a man that was doing his job. Coming from what we know about him and his background, I find it hard to believe he's some raging alcoholic. Now if I'm wrong and this is a normal Saturday night for him, that's another story.

It could be that he had his problem under control for the last 7-8 years and he fell off.

Those are more my thoughts. Just doesn't seem like the type that's some horrible alcoholic that many are painting him out to be. I know people who were right at the legal limit and have gotten DUI's for rolling through a stop sign. Do they have a problem too? For all we know that's what the previous 2 incidents were. Despite the vitriol for drinking and driving under any circumstances, the context of the previous situations does matter.

• Fire 1

One sobering realization after all of this is that it's clear that many people truly do not take driving under the influence seriously.

I don't think it's necessarily not taking it seriously. Some people may think that it doesn't warrant losing your job if you can still do said job.

Of course he could still perform his job. What kind of message are you sending though by letting him continue teaching/leading college kids albeit in a fairly public role after just getting your 3rd DUI charge?

Bobby Petrino and Mike Leach are two very good examples of how people tend to look past things after a short time. Especially in college football

Bobby Petrino and Mike Leach are two very good examples of how people tend to look past things after a short time. Especially in college football

Nevermind.

I'm curious if his priors had at least something to do with his career path. I've always thought it was a little odd that he was at Tulane. With the energy and enthusiasm he has and all the NFL guys that he's working with, it just always seemed odd that he hadn't already moved up to a bigger program before now. At 45 years old, it's not like he's just a young guy working his way up.

But with this coming out, it kind of seems like it might fill in the gaps. He was at San Jose State from 01-04. He apparently left San Jose State in 04 for .... San Jose City College. Not exactly a step up but if the first DUI was in 04 it might be related. He was at San Jose City College until 08 when he went to Fresno State. That is a step up but is also in the similar time-frame of the second offense. He spent three years at Fresno State and three years at Tulane before coming here. I'm not sure a lot can be drawn from that other than the steps up in his career don't seem to fit what we've seen since he got here.

Anyway, doesn't mean much other than it might provide a little insight into what's gone on before and might indicate that it's entirely possible that it's affected his career before now.

Perhaps Riley saw that he had no issues for 7-8 years and gave him a chance to prove himself. Which worked...........for a season.

That's entirely possible. I wouldn't fault Riley for doing that. But if that's the case I would think it would have been on the conditions that nothing else could happen.

Petrino I get, what did Leach do? The Craig James thing? That deal was BS.

That's entirely possible. I wouldn't fault Riley for doing that. But if that's the case I would think it would have been on the conditions that nothing else could happen.

And it might be. Guess we just have to wait until we hear what Riley will say about it

Petrino I get, what did Leach do? The Craig James thing? That deal was BS.

I'm not arguing whether you think the situation was BS. I'm saying people have very short memories. Including the media.

Does anyone think that KW has only driven drunk three times during the past 10 years and he was just unlucky each time?

The reality is, beyond all of the moral issues related to drunk driving and generally being negligence/reckless in your conduct, his repeated offenses demonstrate he systematically makes bone headed decisions. Why keep a guy in your organization who has those issues?

No I do not. But. I do recognize that it is possible. I myself have driven drunk once in the last 5 years. Once. I swear. I dont ever drink. I dont put myself in positions to do wrong. My lifestyle-both economically and recreationally-doesnt allow any room for error. I know I cant F up, so I'm always putting careful thought into everything I do. But, If' I'd been caught that one time.....yeah.

Anyway. I went on some rants last night. Was in a really pissy state of mind over this and probably shoulda slept on it first before making some really extreme, one sided points,, instead of being my normally calm, meddling self. I let a feeling of being let down take over my mind. Things were looking so up in our desperate aspiration to regain what is special about Nebraska football and this is just another slame to the balls in a series of nut punches. So i apologize for that. I will however still stand on the opinion that Williams should lose his job over this. It's not a kick him to the curb type deal, but at this point, even if you do want to help him if he does have a problem, he's done enough to say he shoudnt be educating young men at this point. Even if he is so great with them. it's kind of a glass house of cards hypocritical type of deal. It's just hard for me to buy into right now.

other thing is the assumption of him having a drinking problem. I have relatives with drinking problems. Not claimin I know more than most. Just sayin that it is possible for this to happend and not have a problem. Good points brought up about how many times does he do this and not get caught. Only Mr. Williams knows. His last offense was 8 years ago. Almost a decade. Maybe the guys only goes out once a month? Who knows.

• Fire 2

Short memories? I don't think this even made ESPN's college football page. No one cares.

But whether the media remembers or not, it's going to hurt his credibility in recruiting for a long time because other coaches won't forget and they won't hesitate to bring it up, even if it's just to point out that he may be gone sooner than later if he gets caught again.

I'm sure that Petrino, Leach and others deal with that, too. But when you hang your recruiting on what a great guy you are and how you are a great shaper of young guys, this will hurt a recruiter. I don't think that Petrino or Leach particularly had or try to hold up that reputation.

Being a sports fan does not mean that you have to loose all rational thinking about your fellow citizens. Sports is not more important than peoples lives. Drunk drivers have no right to kill other people.

How many people here said "Drunk drivers have a right to kill other people."?...Who said, "Sports is more important than people's lives?"...

As for what drunk drivers / alcoholics are like, I have met one or two down at the Rescue Mission over the years and grew up with some, so I'm going to say I really do know what havoc they can wreak on the rest of us. So my opinion on fixing instead of tossing isn't based on any ignorance of the seriousness of the matter. It's based on what I have seen happen or not happen in a lot (a whole lot) of scenarios playing out.

Firing Williams won't sober him up. Neither will keeping him as a coach. However, the University has more resources for trying to help Williams help himself with his problem(s) than is currently offered in the unemployment line, and I would rather see someone made better than punished. Mind you, it's an iffy proposition, but I would rather err on the side of doing too much than too little.

It's almost unbearable to think about but my mother was killed by a drunk driver. So no you don't know what havoc they can wreck on the rest of us.

As for your misplaced compassion for the drunk driver. Where is your compassion for the victims of drunk drivers ? Where is that at ?

The only person who can "fix" an alcoholic is the alcoholic themselves. The University of Nebraska does NOT have more resources than are available elsewhere. Every alcoholic has available 24/7/365, all the resources they need available to help them help themselves, in AA and other agencies. I'ts up to them to seek out the resources... it's not up the society to baby sit them.

Doing too much rather than too little... are you kidding me? Society has already done too much for this person. We've given him multiple chances and he has thumbed his nose at the rest of the world. It's his responsibility to rescue himself. It's not our responsibility to baby sit or coddle this person. Our responsibility is to the rest of society... and to make sure as best we can to protect them from being victims.

• Fire 2

Most companies are very forgiving if you voluntarily admit to a problem. Every company I have worked for provided paid time off and paid for treatment if you admitted to having a problem. I have also been randomly tested for drugs at every company I have worked for, and a couple even have random breathalyzer testing. What is the NU policy for coaches? Anheuser Busch employees are automatically fired for DUI for political purposes. A leader of college aged men at a major athletic football program could also be viewed politically.