Would your rather lose a Playoff game or win the Rose Bowl?

Moiraine

Season scenarios  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In which scenario would we get rings like Iowa last year?

Iowa lost the Rose Bowl. This isn't relevant to the discussion.

And I'm not asking which game people would rather us go to. Obviously we all would pick the Playoff game.

Sorry, forgot the :sarcasm

I of course knew you were being sarcastic and weren't wondering how we could get rings like Iowa last year but the response still doesn't make sense since I'm not asking whether people would prefer to go to the Rose Bowl or the Playoffs.

Guess I'm in the minority with a Rose Bowl win. The offseason always seems more tolerable when we go out with a bowl win. And really, who is going to care in five years whether we finished ranked #3/4 or a few spots lower? JMHO. :dunno:

Not gonna lie .... I picked the Rose Bowl at first. Not necessarily because it's the Rose Bowl, but just winning - for that matter making - a major bowl would be really nice.

But I switched and went with the conference championship. Solely based on how long it's been since we've won one. If we had won one in .... say .... I don't know .... 2009 or something..... I would have stuck with the Rose Bowl.

If it's either or choices, Rose Bowl win. Better go out a winner then a loser for the year. There is no second, third or fourth place trophy, for me it doesn't even look better, Sparty didn't look better loosing in the playoff last year and their reputation didn't improve either.

On the other hand those who had a good bowl win (especially against some of the marque teams) created more buzz that lasted to the beginning of this season, yea I'm even looking at you Tennessee.

• Fire 1

I'm surprised. There is no contest in this question.

Option 1 is winning a conference championship and making it into the 4 team playoff but losing to a top 4 team.

Option 2 there is no CC, no playoff appearance, no top 4 ranking, but a feel good, consolation win over somebody in the Rose Bowl.

It's not even close, option #1. And I dont see where either option significantly changes what happens around here in the off season. Either scenario, the bitchers are gonna bitch. Option 2 would also be a huge welcomed change from where we've been but it isn't the same level of accomplishment that opt 1 is.

From a national perspective, I think being in the playoff would give us more 'air time'. I'm thinking if we are in the playoff, we would have won the CCG - thus we got the hardware. Then going to the Rose vs a Playoff - With the 4 team playoff, the Rose Bowl looses significance and it fades into one of the many 'other bowl games'. The playoff gives the program great exposure and just think of the story line "Nebraska is Back" - I think we would be the talk of the town in comparison to the same old Bama, etc. Now it would really be something if the playoff included Houston, Louisville, Huskers - 3 outsiders trying to get into the big tent.

Unless Wisconsin improves dramatically or Oregon performs better in the P12 than has been predicted by their analysts, I'm not sure an 11-1 Husker team makes the playoffs. A 12-0 one does, for sure.

So far, the best win among our opponents not named OSU is the Wisconsin win over LSU. Since then, LSU hasn't looked great, and if they struggle through the SEC, that will significantly diminish the perception of Wisconsin and its win over them.

Bad losses among our slated B10 opponents, including the following, probably mean that none of those opponents can rehabilitate themselves enough to help a 1-loss Husker team's case, even if they pull off wins over MSU, Michigan or OSU.

• Northwestern's two losses to WMU and Illinois St
  • Illini's large deficit losses to WMU and UNC
  • Purdue's large deficit loss to Cincinnati
  • Iowa's loss to NDSU

None of the other slated B10 opponents had any significant wins in the non-conf, and Maryland and Indiana both struggled with non-P5 teams. Unfortunately, their perception won't improve as much with a win over a top B10 team as it will simply hurt the loser's (and B10's) reputation.

I'm still going with the "playoff" option above because it lists winning the conf. championship, which is attainable this year, but realistically, a two loss season with a Rose Bowl birth (and win) would be a really great accomplishment for this team.

At this point in the year it is tough to project things. I think you are correct in the fact that the committee may not view things favorably with a 11-1 Nebraska, but it is not right.

Lets look at Alabama's schedule right now I don't view the win over USC or Ole Miss as anything special right now. USC is a tire fire inside of a dump right now and Ole Miss is 1-2 with a loss to FSU a team that just lost by 40 to Louisville. Who do they have left on their schedule that is looking real good? Not LSU, Not Auburn, maybe Arkansas, maybe A&M? But, because they are Alabama they get a pass. If Alabama drops a game to say a 3-4 loss team will it change the view of the committee about them?

While I understand a bowl win is considered a great way to finish off the season and kick off the next season, I don't get super bummed out over a bowl game loss. They are glorified exhibition games, and you never know how either team is going to be motivated for the game.

Being in the playoff means the team had a great season, and more than likely won the conference championship. It also means that the team was 2 wins away from the National Championship.