To all those who are so outraged over these players kneeling:

We're you outraged when the flag hit the ground as the parachutist landed? The flag is never supposed to touch the ground. Do you yell at those who don't take off their hats during the anthem? What about those chatting? Those things are by far more disrespectful.

When these players kneel, they still face the flag and pay attention. Before you decry their protest, learn about what it is about and try to understand. These guys mostly come from an America much different than the one you and I have experience.

Before 9-11 I don't remember placing your hand over your heart being so important. I'm so glad that's the big thing people took away from that event

Stand, place your hand over your heart and either sing along or be silent is what I've always known to be the appropriate behavior while the national anthem is being played. I was taught this at home and in grade school more than 30 years before 9/11.

We're you outraged when the flag hit the ground as the parachutist landed? The flag is never supposed to touch the ground. Do you yell at those who don't take off their hats during the anthem? What about those chatting? Those things are by far more disrespectful.

When these players kneel, they still face the flag and pay attention. Before you decry their protest, learn about what it is about and try to understand. These guys mostly come from an America much different than the one you and I have experience.

Those who are outraged, have as much right to be heard as those who sparked the outrage.

Those who are outraged, have as much right to be heard as those who sparked the outrage.

Of course they do. They talk about the players disrespecting the flag. I'm curious if they have the same levels of outrage over other forms of disrespect.

You are right Elf. As for the example of a flag touching the ground during a parchute landing, I don't think the individual landing the parachute had the intent to make a political statement in doing so. Apples to oranges comparisons going on in here. Nobody is saying that players do not have a right to protest...that is definitely their right, but the vast majority who oppose their actions have the right to come down on them hard, and often. I've had several military personnel I know who are really upset about what is going on, and some have just stopped watching sports all together.

• Fire 2

You are right Elf. As for the example of a flag touching the ground during a parchute landing, I don't think the individual landing the parachute had the intent to make a political statement in doing so. Apples to oranges comparisons going on in here.

It doesn't matter if the parachutist is making a political statement, he is disrespecting the flag through his careless actions and should be fired.

Nobody is saying that players do not have a right to protest...that is definitely their right, but the vast majority who oppose their actions have the right to come down on them hard, and often.

So if I oppose those who oppose their actions, I also have the right to come down on them hard. People who say they should lose their scholarships are far worse than those exercising the rights represented by that flag. Because you don't agree with their cause, you don't have the right to tell them how to act.

I've had several military personnel I know who are really upset about what is going on, and some have just stopped watching sports all together.

Players have beaten their wives, raped women, and committed murder, and this causes them to quit watching sports? Someone's priorities are seriously out of whack.

• Fire 1

Please show me which of these so called black Americans knew the laws and "complied".

This isn't specifically an answer to your question, but here is proof of racist cultures in at least two big police departments. Let's see how you contort to try and explain this away.

Ferguson’s law enforcement practices are shaped by the City’s focus on revenue rather than by public safety needs. This emphasis on revenue has compromised the institutional character of Ferguson’s police department, contributing to a pattern of unconstitutional policing, and has also shaped its municipal court, leading to procedures that raise due process concerns and inflict unnecessary harm on members of the Ferguson community. Further, Ferguson’s police and municipal court practices both reflect and exacerbate existing racial bias, including racial stereotypes. Ferguson’s own data establish clear racial disparities that adversely impact African Americans. The evidence shows that discriminatory intent is part of the reason for these disparities. Over time, Ferguson’s police and municipal court practices have sown deep mistrust between parts of the community and the police department, undermining law enforcement legitimacy among African Americans in particular.

The Justice Department announced today that it found reasonable cause to believe that the Baltimore City Police Department (BPD) engages in a pattern or practice of conduct that violates the First and Fourth Amendments of the Constitution as well as federal anti-discrimination laws. BPD makes stops, searches and arrests without the required justification; uses enforcement strategies that unlawfully subject African Americans to disproportionate rates of stops, searches and arrests; uses excessive force; and retaliates against individuals for their constitutionally-protected expression. The pattern or practice results from systemic deficiencies that have persisted within BPD for many years and has exacerbated community distrust of the police, particularly in the African-American community. The city and the department have also entered into an agreement in principle to work together, with community input, to create a federal court-enforceable consent decree addressing the deficiencies found during the investigation.

Why is it that people can't express their feelings toward those who kneel during the National Anthem but yet it's ok for those to express their feelings by kneeling during the anthem?

Aren't both sides an act of freedom of speech?

But I guess I'm just some butt hurt racist who doesn't understand the meaning behind the kneeling

Have you been arrested? Is anyone saying you should be fired from your job?

Have I been arrested? No because I know the difference between right and wrong and I comply with the laws. I have been pulled over and was issued a couple speeding tickets and I'm still alive. Is it due to me being white? Nope could be the fact that I gave the officer respect, allowed him complete visibility of my hands and never gave the officer a reason to deem me a threat to him or her safety.

Nobody is saying that I should be fired from my job but I do officiate football and have received a few comments from fans on some calls that they deemed were wrong and didn't agree with. Even told me to hang it up

Talk to a black person sometime. Seriously. A professional well-groomed black person who complies with the law.

Their stories are absolutely chilling.

I'd heard the stories before. Thought we'd moved beyond them in 2016. Sure wanted to believe it because hey...black President! But cell phone cameras kinda threw it back in my face.

And why don't well-groomed law-abiding black people tell white people about the humiliating disrespect they encounter on a regular basis? Cause it's a conversation know one wants to have, typically greeted by white disbelief, denial and angry backlash that can make things even worse.

Little creepy that white folks are making this about their discomfort.

Have I been arrested? No because I know the difference between right and wrong and I comply with the laws. I have been pulled over and was issued a couple speeding tickets and I'm still alive. Is it due to me being white? Nope could be the fact that I gave the officer respect, allowed him complete visibility of my hands and never gave the officer a reason to deem me a threat to him or her safety.

Nobody is saying that I should be fired from my job but I do officiate football and have received a few comments from fans on some calls that they deemed were wrong and didn't agree with. Even told me to hang it up

Far, far too many Black Americans also "know the difference between right and wrong and comply with the laws" yet are still arrested, still shot, still killed.

It's this tone-deaf response that people in this thread are on about. The implication in this response is that Black Americans who have been arrested, shot, killed by the police did not know the difference between right and wrong, did not comply with the law.

These protests are about situations where people complied, people knew the law, but are still dead. Ignore that basic fact and you're missing the entire point.

Please show me which of these so called black Americans knew the laws and "complied". Also it's just not black people being shot by cops but unarmed white people too but the media and these protests would lead you believe that's a false assumption

A lot of you are living in a false reality built on lies

Well sure, and 71% of the cops killed in this country are killed by white people. And cop-killings have actually decreased in recent years. It's a cherry-pickers paradise.

If you have yet to see evidence of "so-called black Americans" being treated differently by law enforcement, there is simply nothing anyone can do to convince you.

I don't know about a false reality built on lies, but there is a mythology many white Americans clings to in order to feel better about themselves. They are often people who say all the right things in public, but deep down feel superior to African-Americans and want the system to maintain that comfort level. And not just with blacks, but with anything the system did to provide the white privilege they grew up with in the good ol' days.

There is no other explanation for Donald Trump.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night dude about that so-called mythology garbage.

I've seen maybe 2-3 videos where the cop was in the wrong and were charged rightfully so (Tulsa shooting, Georgia shooting where officer planted taser at victims body) which I stand behind by the state to charge those officers. We don't need those types of cops on the streets.

If you have yet to see evidence where the victim was in the wrong in majority of these shootings than I guess there's nothing I can do or anyone else could do to convince you other wise.

Maybe you should apply at your local PD and see what the real world really is. I was in the field for 7 years and got out of it because people lack respect this day and age and who believe that they didn't do anything wrong.

Can I be honest?

I'm not sleeping very well these days.

Please show me which of these so called black Americans knew the laws and "complied".

This isn't specifically an answer to your question, but here is proof of racist cultures in at least two big police departments. Let's see how you contort to try and explain this away.

Fergusons law enforcement practices are shaped by the Citys focus on revenue rather than by public safety needs. This emphasis on revenue has compromised the institutional character of Fergusons police department, contributing to a pattern of unconstitutional policing, and has also shaped its municipal court, leading to procedures that raise due process concerns and inflict unnecessary harm on members of the Ferguson community. Further, Fergusons police and municipal court practices both reflect and exacerbate existing racial bias, including racial stereotypes. Fergusons own data establish clear racial disparities that adversely impact African Americans. The evidence shows that discriminatory intent is part of the reason for these disparities. Over time, Fergusons police and municipal court practices have sown deep mistrust between parts of the community and the police department, undermining law enforcement legitimacy among African Americans in particular.

The Justice Department announced today that it found reasonable cause to believe that the Baltimore City Police Department (BPD) engages in a pattern or practice of conduct that violates the First and Fourth Amendments of the Constitution as well as federal anti-discrimination laws. BPD makes stops, searches and arrests without the required justification; uses enforcement strategies that unlawfully subject African Americans to disproportionate rates of stops, searches and arrests; uses excessive force; and retaliates against individuals for their constitutionally-protected expression. The pattern or practice results from systemic deficiencies that have persisted within BPD for many years and has exacerbated community distrust of the police, particularly in the African-American community. The city and the department have also entered into an agreement in principle to work together, with community input, to create a federal court-enforceable consent decree addressing the deficiencies found during the investigation.

Along with this is the stop an frisk laws in NYC that targeted Black men, but yeah we don't have a problem

This seems off-topic for this forum.

My .02 is that is that if all these guys are doing is to kneel during the national anthem, then I guess. If you feel it's disrespectful or whatever, then fine. But it's literally the most non-violent, non-intrusive form of protest I've ever heard of. Regardless of what you believe, talking about it exactly the point of a protest, and they have suceeded at that.

In terms of sh#t that matters in your life, this should be of the least important to you. If you disagree with why they are protesting, then ignore it. Being a keyboard warrior on the internet doesn't really prove anything.

You are right Elf. As for the example of a flag touching the ground during a parchute landing, I don't think the individual landing the parachute had the intent to make a political statement in doing so. Apples to oranges comparisons going on in here.

It doesn't matter if the parachutist is making a political statement, he is disrespecting the flag through his careless actions and should be fired.

Nobody is saying that players do not have a right to protest...that is definitely their right, but the vast majority who oppose their actions have the right to come down on them hard, and often.

So if I oppose those who oppose their actions, I also have the right to come down on them hard. People who say they should lose their scholarships are far worse than those exercising the rights represented by that flag. Because you don't agree with their cause, you don't have the right to tell them how to act.

I've had several military personnel I know who are really upset about what is going on, and some have just stopped watching sports all together.

Players have beaten their wives, raped women, and committed murder, and this causes them to quit watching sports? Someone's priorities are seriously out of whack.

Point 1-Apples to oranges, but you apparently can't see the difference between intent.

Point 2-Wrong...just as I agree they have the "right" to express their opinions, others have the right to condemn them. MLB just suspended a player for the rest of the season for speaking his mind, and I don't agree with what he said at all, but is that ok for the league to punish him for expressing his views?

Point 3-I pointed this out in another thread. Instances like players doing drugs or beating their wives should not be tolerated at all. With that said, when a player is hooked on drugs, he's punishing himself, or in the case of attacking a female, he's doing harm to another human being. None of this should be tolerated. Disrespecting the flag is an assault on the millions of Americans who have bravely fought for this country, some of which wish they still had their legs/knees so they could kneel.

This whole BLM movement is minimizing the real harm in the black community. More black men die at the hands of other black men than from police officers. Blacks are more likely to live in poverty than any other race. And Black lives have gotten worse under the first black President, so why not protest him. The President's home town is a complete mess with the murder rate breaking records, and he has not made any attempt to visit those neighborhoods and try to make a difference. Now that is worth protesting.

• Fire 2

f#*k whether kneeling is right or wrong. I come to Husker board to talk Husker football.

And I'm going to be pissed if a 4-0 Husker team lets locker room division (see 4 white players holding the flag) derail what could be our first decent season in a long time. Do what you got to do, but if this has any impact on football I'm going to be pissed.

• Fire 3