What did we learn-Northwestern edition

JJ Husker

Good teams win ugly games. Glad we got this W.

We struggle mightily to get pressure on the QB. If we don't fix this, we'll lose games because of it.

We need to set up punt returns. I have no idea what our plan is on punt returns.

Sloppy game with the fumbles at the goal line, some bad penalties, and some poor play on both sides of the ball.

Move on, get ready for next week.

I usually post to these "what did we learn" threads. We know what we have with this team and I often find myself posting similar things each game. The question is what are we going to do to get better, to get to the next level. I liked that Wilbon did pretty well. Tommy played smart with the football. Nice INT by Kalu to seal the game. Those are good things to build on.

• Fire 3

I learned that we're not really in control of anything and are able to get by against teams we should dominate. We ARE capable of beating a Top 20 team.....the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Our running backs are okay ,but not even close to the super studs you see contending for the Heisman who run through, over, and around defenders like Heffernan running through Pee Wee Leaguers. Our receivers are good but we have a really hard time getting them the ball, and then it's usually in a place where they can't do much with it. Neither line is dominant in any regard. Tommy's runs accounted for a good part of our offense;... take his running away and we might be looking at sorry offensive production. The pass defense....AYE YI Y !!!... soft and laid back. The pass rush...great when we decide to use it.

​Positives....we didn't choke and get beat by NW. We didn't choke and get beat by NW.

TA distributes the ball well

Langs is really calling a good game plan

Carter is a beast

Jones can ball

Gerry was all over the field

Wilbon was impressive

DL needs a lot of work

Teams can get outside easy on us

We have no ST to speak of

Announcers had a few good ones "If that penalty doesn't stand, thats a touchdown" (on a first down) and my fave of the night after Westy went out briefly and came back in. "Westerkamp is tougher than a $2 steak.....

This.

I thought TA played very well outside of one pass and langs called a very good game imo. If Tommy plays like that every game we are a very good team. Realistically we should have won this game by 30, but that's the difference between us and top 15 teams right now. I'm also very happy they gave Wilbon a chance, and I thought he performed very well. Idk if he gets that chance without Newby trying to go all Reggie Bush. Quality win overall, with some cleaning up in the ball carrying area we are a very good team in the big ten west.

I learned that Johnny Eutaw must be hell to buy presents for "well, I guess it is a present at least. Porsches aren't all their cracked up to be ya know. And I don't look good in gold painted cars. The tires are cheap, not really good enough for a Porsche, but I suppose they are round enough. A Jag would have been nicer ya know, but, well thanks I guess." :-)

• Fire 6

We could be really good if we didn't do stupid things.

We seem to be good for 2-3 15yrd penalties a game.

I think the staff is doing a pretty good job of rotating backs.

Our defense looks pretty bad at times (especially the line) and then at the end of the night we didn't give up very many points and had some key takeaways. It's weird.

When used properly TA is a beast.

• Fire 1

I learned that Johnny Eutaw must be hell to buy presents for "well, I guess it is a present at least. Porsches aren't all their cracked up to be ya know. And I don't look good in gold painted cars. The tires are cheap, not really good enough for a Porsche, but I suppose they are round enough. A Jag would have been nicer ya know, but, well thanks I guess." :-)

i found his new avatar

eeyore.jpg