Coach Cav Free Pass?

I keep hearing from multiple people say how missing Cethan Carter has been a silent missing piece to the run game. It doesn't excuse all the struggles, but it's no question he is our best blocking TE. Without him sealing the end or protecting in the pass game, no disrespect to Cotton or Foster, it hurts our efficiency.

The absolute absence of players (numbers alone) in the O line is the primary issue in my view. I think the guys we have playing are mostly walking wounded and giving their best. But we have no subs and the fatigue and pain factors are just limiting any possible success. I think we'd see dramatic 'improvement' in our RBs and our passing game in stats, yards, points, etc. IF we had better line play. We have way too may little or no gain runs and far too many desperation scrambles and passes into intense pressure, etc. Often there is not enough time for Tommy to go thru his progressions and reads and truly wait for the receivers to come open. This can largely be traced back to an inexperienced, insufficient and inadequate line. The guys are playing hard and give great effort and sometimes make reasonable good plays. We've seen dramatic 4th quarter efforts from them, but that was pre-injury issues mostly and before the season put wear and tear across the WRs and RBs too. The offense has been beat up lately. That is simply disrupting and ruining 'execution' (that term nobody likes to hear). In this season, it is true. The offense has been through hell. The defense has seemed to stay pretty healthy relatively speaking.

We need a bunch of new recruits. I think I'd suggest we take atleast 6 this year and a couple three walk ons would be welcome as well. Without a line, O J Simpson driving a white Ford Bronco would have troubles getting far.

I guess I think the OL has played pretty well this year. I also thought previous OLs played much better than many like to give them credit for.

Obviously we've had injuries which haven't helped. With our original starting five - Gates, Farmer, Utter, Foster, Knevel - I really liked what we were looking at. Knevel hasn't been particularly good and everyone else has been banged. up.

I also think they could get some help from some different play-calling, in case I haven't mentioned that. :lol:

The op's right we did crucify the last OL coach. And it was justified. And the mess we have this year? The lack of depth, huge wiffs in recruiting. Yea that all lands on him too.

This isn't Cav's mess, this is Cotton's and Pelini's mess. Cav won't get any flak unless our o-line looks and plays like this in year 4+.

• Fire 1

It is going to be imperative for Cav to have a solidified two deep next year where there is not much of a drop off. It has to be mostly, if not all scholarship guys. He brought in some talented players and it appears he is getting at least one every year who is ready to play as a freshman. He is recruiting some elite tackles and it makes sense. Gates probably leaves after next year and Knevel is still an unknown (injuries and inconsistency).