Repealing the ACA under Trump

Red nailed it. It's going to take a very concerted effort by the GOP to convince people they're not hatcheting healthcare instead of trying to improve it. That's completely cynical, but their messaging on healthcare has worked in the past.

This chart amazes.me. Look at the attitudes toward government involvement in healthcare pre-ACA, after it's passage, and in present day. The GOP successfully waged war on government healthcare once the ACA passed, but they're back to losing that battle.

And when it doesn't fail, then what?

It will, mainly because of Congress and Trump. From my understanding, there are government contracts that have to be renewed to keep insurance companies in it. All Trump has to do is not renew those, and insurance companies will start bailing. Some already are because of the uncertainty of the contracts being renewed.

If will only "fail" if the administration stops funding the CSR payments and does not enforce the mandate.

Specifically regarding CSRs, the uncertainty around their funding is causing insurers to double/triple their rates:

Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina said the company decided to more than double their requested premium increase due to the CSR uncertainty.

The company has requested a 22.9% increase for the average premium in 2018, but said that if the CSR payments were guaranteed, that would only by 8.8%.

"The latest news came earlier this week as the Trump Administration delayed a decision on whether to fight the House lawsuit," Brian Tajlili, the director of actuarial and pricing services for Blue Cross NC, wrote in a blog post on Thursday explaining the decision. "As a result, insurance companies can’t count on being paid for reducing cost-sharing for eligible ACA customers."

Tajlili went on to tie the increase directly to the uncertainty surrounding the CSR payments, saying more clarity on the ACA's future from lawmakers could have driven the premium increases even lower.

"In other words, with the right actions coming out of Washington to stabilize the market, the rate increase from Blue Cross NC would have been between 5% and 6%," Tajlili wrote. "That looks a lot different from the 22.9% we filed."

Thank you! I was close. I knew it had something to do with government guarantees. Not guaranteeing them, all will ensure Obamacare will fail.

• Fire 2

Nice to see Mitch creating a healthcare bill that would benefit his constituents. Oh wait...

But here lies the problem. Trumps supporters don't give a hoot about what percentage of people are uninsured. This is (another) area where dems are talking over the audience. This does not resonate. It's not personal. It plays into the "take care of myself who cares about all the lazy people" attitude.

The talking points need to be specific and relatable. All these examples are made up - so don't hold me to numbers and etc.

• 1/4 people in KY will loose their insurance
  • 9/10 people in LA will see an increase to their annual premium of more than $500.00
  • There need to be actual people talking about themselves. "I have a family of four and live in AK. I work a hourly wage job and make about 30k a year. Right now I pay $10 a month for insurance and can rest easy that if I got hit by a car I could get a ride to the hospital in an ambulance and get my needs met for less than $1000 out of pocket. If the changes happen that changes - .... I'd have to pay out of pocket for that $3000 ambulance ride and an additional $17,000 for the care I got at the hospital.

Bottom line. Politicians and some of us that are more concerned with the overall health of american (financial and physical) can make that leap from % uninsured to the ramifications that leads to. A lot of people don't care. It isn't today, it isn't them. All they know is that they used to pay $350 for insurance and now they pay $700 and somebody told them on tv that it's because of Obama. We really did a disservice with roll out and not really impressing upon people what that increase actually gives them. There should have been sheets similar to what we get every few years from the IRS showing payments in and what that amounts to as we grow older. Insurers should do this for their people, but the government should make it part of the requirement to be in the program. Annual overviews of costs and benefits in a simple way to understand.

• Fire 4

It is very clear that the Republicans really never had a plan formulated...and.....Trump has absolutely no clue about healthcare.

Trump goes around playing with big fun trucks and then talks down to Congress acting all toughy toughy..... "Do your job. I'm not going to own it."....meanwhile, he has no meaningful ideas or plan to add to the conversation.

Can we have a 2016 Do Over? Take Hillary, Trump, and all of the Republican leadership & San Fran Nan, and NY Sen Schumer out of the election pool and just start from scratch. Or can we impeach Trump, The Turtle, and Paul Ryan?