Oregon 2017 and beyond

On thing clear from Oregon's bad season is what fair weather fans they have. It was noted in the espn write up the getting a coach who could increase ticket sales was very important. A coach that can win would solve the ticket issue. For now I'm glad as I will be at the game next year and if I can save some $ on tix that is great.

Frost has only been and Central FL for a year, I doubt he leaves. As for him coming to NE, I have heard Damon Benning say on more then one occassion that this will not occur.

Has it ever been verified what the hangup has been with Frost? I recall hearing somewhere that he got into it pretty badly with TO after the 96 ASU game. I also recall hearing that he was interviewed or at least contacted when Bo was here for OC. Apparently he wanted Head Coach in waiting status and Bo wasn't having it. Again, that's all hearsay, no way to truly verify it. Can anyone shed any light on the Frost-NU relationship?

TO and frost are on great terms.

I think the timing was wrong in '10, but I question whether that convo ever happened.

What is benning and frosts relationship? Does benning like frost as a coach? I wonder what he thinks of frost considering timing of their time in the program and Bennings relationship with LP. I think benning often lets his personal feelings and need to be perceived as having "inside information" influence how he reports. This sort of unsubstantiated public claim is just one example of many.

I kind of assumed he and TO were on good terms. I just recall hearing that after the 96 ASU game, it was relatively volatile.

I also am curious as to Damon's true opinion/relationship is of Frost. Damon and LP were very tight and it wouldn't shock me if he viewed or blamed Frost as a catalyst for LP's behavior. I recall hearing that there were plenty of other players who had a strong distaste for Frost and they took it out on him in practice at any available opportunity.

All that aside, I can't say I wouldn't be intrigued with Frost returning to NU someday. The idea of a triangle of hate with Frost, Harbaugh and Meyer is just too good to pass up.

Agreed with all the above. I think Benning overstates his knowledge about the program and definitely takes sides. The LP / Frost relationship wasn't good and we all know what side Benning would take on that one.

I have hope that Frost will one day return as head coach and for what it's worth on my flight up to Lincoln for the Oregon game this year, I sat next to an Oregon grad, who was very close with the team and former players(showed pictures from former player's weddings, holidays with the guys, etc.) and he was pretty confident that they all know Frost's dream job is Nebraska. Could that change over the next 5-10 years? Sure. But I also think there should be reason for hope.

On thing clear from Oregon's bad season is what fair weather fans they have. It was noted in the espn write up the getting a coach who could increase ticket sales was very important. A coach that can win would solve the ticket issue. For now I'm glad as I will be at the game next year and if I can save some $ on tix that is great.

Don't believe everything you read from national media. Oregon had a fairly lengthy sell out streak that ended early in the season. Part of the problem was students weren't on campus yet. The other part was a really bad preseason schedule. It's not easy getting into Autzen Stadium. I live an hour from Eugene and I'm hoping to get a ticket or two to next year's game, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Frost has only been and Central FL for a year, I doubt he leaves. As for him coming to NE, I have heard Damon Benning say on more then one occassion that this will not occur.

Has it ever been verified what the hangup has been with Frost? I recall hearing somewhere that he got into it pretty badly with TO after the 96 ASU game. I also recall hearing that he was interviewed or at least contacted when Bo was here for OC. Apparently he wanted Head Coach in waiting status and Bo wasn't having it. Again, that's all hearsay, no way to truly verify it. Can anyone shed any light on the Frost-NU relationship?

TO and frost are on great terms.

I think the timing was wrong in '10, but I question whether that convo ever happened.

What is benning and frosts relationship? Does benning like frost as a coach? I wonder what he thinks of frost considering timing of their time in the program and Bennings relationship with LP. I think benning often lets his personal feelings and need to be perceived as having "inside information" influence how he reports. This sort of unsubstantiated public claim is just one example of many.

I kind of assumed he and TO were on good terms. I just recall hearing that after the 96 ASU game, it was relatively volatile.

I also am curious as to Damon's true opinion/relationship is of Frost. Damon and LP were very tight and it wouldn't shock me if he viewed or blamed Frost as a catalyst for LP's behavior. I recall hearing that there were plenty of other players who had a strong distaste for Frost and they took it out on him in practice at any available opportunity.

All that aside, I can't say I wouldn't be intrigued with Frost returning to NU someday. The idea of a triangle of hate with Frost, Harbaugh and Meyer is just too good to pass up.

Agreed with all the above. I think Benning overstates his knowledge about the program and definitely takes sides. The LP / Frost relationship wasn't good and we all know what side Benning would take on that one.

I have hope that Frost will one day return as head coach and for what it's worth on my flight up to Lincoln for the Oregon game this year, I sat next to an Oregon grad, who was very close with the team and former players(showed pictures from former player's weddings, holidays with the guys, etc.) and he was pretty confident that they all know Frost's dream job is Nebraska. Could that change over the next 5-10 years? Sure. But I also think there should be reason for hope.

I hope this is true. I spoke with Frost a few years ago. I was wearing an Oregon State shirt and kept talking about Nebraska with him (specifically the Big 12 title game against aTm). He kept changing the subject and talked about how much he liked Riley and the rest of, then, OSU's staff. I treaded lightly about Pelini and that ended quickly. He also talked about another university in the Pac 12 whose staff he hated. Let's just say you won't see him wearing a Sun Devils shirt anytime soon.

Kind of a statistical oddity but it's interesting how many teams the Huskers will play over a three year span that either had new coaches or fired their coach later that season.

Miami fired Golden after Huskers played them

Illinois fired Beckman before season

Minnesota - Kill retired

Wisconsin - new coach Chryst

Fresno St. fired DeRuyter after

Oregon fired Helfrich after

Illinois - new coach Smith

Purdue fired Hazell the week before the Husker game

Maryland - new coach Durkin

Oregon - new coach ?

Purdue - new coach ?

And three for next year:

Not surprising. Much closer to more guys. If a guy isn't getting much of a look from Florida State, Florida or Miami, he can jump in and sell them on playing in Oregon's offense.

I'm not surprised either. Also, "easier" can mean different things. I take this "easier" as being able to drive up and down Florida to recruit guys, rather than having to fly up and down the west coast and into Texas to get guys that Oregon recruited.

• Fire 1

Kind of a statistical oddity but it's interesting how many teams the Huskers will play over a three year span that either had new coaches or fired their coach later that season.

Miami fired Golden after Huskers played them

Illinois fired Beckman before season

Minnesota - Kill retired

Wisconsin - new coach Chryst

Fresno St. fired DeRuyter after

Oregon fired Helfrich after

Illinois - new coach Smith

Purdue fired Hazell the week before the Husker game

Maryland - new coach Durkin

Oregon - new coach ?

Purdue - new coach ?

And three for next year:

I wonder what the average coaching tenure is in FBS? I'll bet it's around four or five years.

This list ranks coaches by the length of their current job: LINK Of the 128 coaching jobs, the #10 guy on this list had been coaching 11 years. (The list is from 2015)

Frank is getting up there. Several guys ahead of him got fired during the past year. :lol:

• Fire 1

My take, I was under the impression Frost wanted play calling duties and Bo didn't want to give it to him.

Also I recall him being boo'd by Nebraska fans fresh off of Fraziers graduation as we "struggled" and eventually lost to ASU. I doubt being boo'd plays into his decision I just always was disappointed by my fellow fans did that.

Same deal with Bohl, everyone seems to think he'd come back in a heartbeat but he was run out of town as the scapegoat for the Colorado loss before our last National Championship game appearance.

During Chip Kelly's time at Oregon he capatilized off a down conference and sold extremely nice facilities and 1,000 uniform combinations. Since he has left, the rest of the Pac-12 as woken up and become good, every school has 1,000 uniform combinations, and with all the $$$ going into programs everyone has amazing facilities.

So that leaves Oregon with selling Eugene, Oregon to recruits from So Cal, Texas and Florida. A very tough task to do for a head coach. Also the new coach is still going to have the expectations of what Chip Kelly did there (again much tougher to do now) and you have a mega billionaire in Phil Knight looking over your shoulder and has more power then the AD in Eugene. That is a ton of pressure for a coach, especially a new coach.

It'll be interesting to see what Oregon does here in their hire moving forward. They have since the 70s? hired from within and kept assistants around for a long, long, long time. If they clean house you are looking at a Solich/Callahan type transition. Complete culture change, that some of the current players may not fit into, and add that Oregon is losing out on critical recruiting time without a coach and this upcoming class may be bad.

IMO, I think Oregon should have kept Helfrich for one more season. It'll be interesting to see if Oregon trends downward and stays a 7,8 win type program like they have before this rise, or if they do indeed get back into the elite status. I just find it difficult to do so given they dont have that special edge anymore.