Two years in....no growth

What I'm frustrated with is the supreme long game that Riley is taking with this program. I understand that there needs to be some balance between short-term and long-term goals and running a program.

I honestly think next year is going to be a struggle, especially on offense. Yes, the QB should be a better passer, but NU loses so much in the skill players. Who knows what the D will be like. It seemed pretty hit or miss this year.

To be fair the other guy lost 1 or 2 games a year to teams he had no buisness losing to. At least we made some improvements there.

Yeah, that's not really true.

And Riley lost more games he shouldn't that Pelini did in seven years.

Actually it is. And I'm talking this year only.

I guess you can semantic "no business losing to" however you want. He lost to four team that won fewer than 8 games. Total. In 7 years. He lost to four teams that won 8 games. So that's a total of 8 games in 7 years. Again, depending on how you want to define "no business losing to" which I don't think includes 8 win teams.

And it's convenient to only talk about this year. Ignore Riley's failures and exaggerate Pelini's. I guess if that's what it takes...

We are 2 years into the Riley era and are right back where we were with Pelini...piling up wins against lesser teams and losing 3 or 4 against the teams we need to beat to get to the next level. On top of that we have looked clueless in 2 of our 3 losses just as we did with Pelini. When Minnesota is your best win of the season, you know the Husker program is no longer relevant.

It was actually a good season. Maybe your expectations were a bit high. Get some good rest and I bet you will look at it a bit differently in a month, especially if we can win the bowl game.

time to fire another 9-3 coach? seems to be the prevailing attitude with Nebraska fans.

I don't think MR needs to be fired. I do feel that Banker and Reed need to be put on strong notice and get it figured out. Langs is alright...today was on TA and just throwing bombs. I do think TA is a warrior and has given his all, but I am cautiously optimistic for a true throwing QB to get in this system and see how it all goes.

time to fire another 9-3 coach? seems to be the prevailing attitude with Nebraska fans.

Yeah, that's the thing. You fire a coach, any coach, and it sets your program back a couple of years. At some point your need to pick a guy and stick with him. I think Riley gathered a pretty good staff around him. And recruiting seems to be going well. So there's that. :dunno:

I said two years ago we should have hired pj fleck, anyone want to have 20/20 hindsight and agree?

there were a number of coaches that all seemed better than Riley. Riley has said all the right things and show. Just enough to keep himself around, but many of the names, names that never even got a phone call even though there was interest might have been better.

We are 2 years into the Riley era and are right back where we were with Pelini...piling up wins against lesser teams and losing 3 or 4 against the teams we need to beat to get to the next level. On top of that we have looked clueless in 2 of our 3 losses just as we did with Pelini. When Minnesota is your best win of the season, you know the Husker program is no longer relevant.

It was actually a good season. Maybe your expectations were a bit high. Get some good rest and I bet you will look at it a bit differently in a month, especially if we can win the bowl game.

If you are comparing to last year....sure...this season was better...but compared to 2 years ago and the prior regime, I have not seen any overall improvement. We remain a team that is hoping to end the season in the top 25 with major blowout losses on the big stage. Meanwhile Michigan and Wisconsin both look far improved in their 2nd year of a new staff.
  • Fire 3

To be fair the other guy lost 1 or 2 games a year to teams he had no buisness losing to. At least we made some improvements there.

Yeah, that's not really true.

And Riley lost more games he shouldn't that Pelini did in seven years.

Actually it is. And I'm talking this year only.

I guess you can semantic "no business losing to" however you want. He lost to four team that won fewer than 8 games. Total. In 7 years. He lost to four teams that won 8 games. So that's a total of 8 games in 7 years. Again, depending on how you want to define "no business losing to" which I don't think includes 8 win teams.

And it's convenient to only talk about this year. Ignore Riley's failures and exaggerate Pelini's. I guess if that's what it takes...

I guess you could realize that's what I was doing before you chastise me.

Our players do not seem to be disciplined and they continue to make horrible calls and draw penalities at the worst times ever. Unfortunately, a nice coach who does not discipline his players will continue to have these players make the same stupid bad calls. Have a nice guy as a coach is a good thing but not at the expense of the program reputation which by now has taken a huge hit once again. We will definitely drop from the rankings once again and we will play a sad PAC 12 team again this year.