What must the 2017 team do

This is our complete schedule next year:
09/02 Arkansas State Lincoln (Blow out win)
09/09 Oregon Eugene (close win or loss as long as Oregon rebounds by season's end, otherwise a win is needed)
09/16 N. Illinois Lincoln (comfortable win 10+ points)
09/23 #Rutgers Lincoln (comfortable win 10+ points)
09/29 #Illinois Champaign (comfortable win, beat the spread)
10/07 #Wisconsin Lincoln (close game)
10/14 #Ohio State Lincoln (beat the spread)
10/28 #Purdue W. Lafayette (blowout win, 14+ points)
11/04 #Northwestern Lincoln (just win it, close or otherwise)
11/11 #Minnesota Minneapolis (just win it...)
11/18 #Penn State State College (same as Wisconsin, a well played loss would be okay)
11/24 #Iowa Lincoln (I loss here would be really, really, really bad.....)

Anything less than 9-3 will mean that this set of coaches can't get it done here at Nebraska (barring serious injuries to key players). even 9-3 will probably make me stop expecting success with Mike riley.
We get both wisconsin and iowa at home. OSU is also in lincoln, but i doubt we can win that with riley as motivator. our toughest away games are at penn state and oregon. i would hope/i think a decent staff with nebraska's talent should be able to split those games.

I don't want to say "win" or "loss", there is more to it than that. What I would hope for is in red.

I like Riley, I really do. I hope he gets it done here or at least to a point where the next guy can. I thought 8-4 was the ceiling this year, I was wrong (thanks for sucking Oregon :) ). I hope I'm wrong next year too.

If Riley is sitting at 8-4 next year with close losses to an Oregon that rebounded, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Penn State I think he actually deserves and should get more time. Less then than that, and I wouldn't dismiss the "boo birds". Significantly less than that, I wouldn't be surprised to see the "retirement" that TeacherCD alluded to.

09/02 Arkansas State Lincoln (Blow out win)

09/09 Oregon Eugene (close win or loss as long as Oregon rebounds by season's end, otherwise a win is needed)

09/16 N. Illinois Lincoln (comfortable win 10+ points)

09/23 #Rutgers Lincoln (comfortable win 10+ points)

09/29 #Illinois Champaign (comfortable win, beat the spread)

10/07 #Wisconsin Lincoln (close game)

10/14 #Ohio State Lincoln (beat the spread)

10/28 #Purdue W. Lafayette (blowout win, 14+ points)

11/04 #Northwestern Lincoln (just win it, close or otherwise)

11/11 #Minnesota Minneapolis (just win it...)

11/18 #Penn State State College (same as Wisconsin, a well played loss would be okay)

11/24 #Iowa Lincoln (I loss here would be really, really, really bad.....)

Anything less than 9-3 will mean that this set of coaches can't get it done here at Nebraska (barring serious injuries to key players). even 9-3 will probably make me stop expecting success with Mike riley.

We get both wisconsin and iowa at home. OSU is also in lincoln, but i doubt we can win that with riley as motivator. our toughest away games are at penn state and oregon. i would hope/i think a decent staff with nebraska's talent should be able to split those games.

I don't want to say "win" or "loss", there is more to it than that. What I would hope for is in red.

I like Riley, I really do. I hope he gets it done here or at least to a point where the next guy can. I thought 8-4 was the ceiling this year, I was wrong (thanks for sucking Oregon :) ). I hope I'm wrong next year too.

If Riley is sitting at 8-4 next year with close losses to an Oregon that rebounded, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Penn State I think he actually deserves and should get more time. Less then than that, and I wouldn't dismiss the "boo birds". Significantly less than that, I wouldn't be surprised to see the "retirement" that TeacherCD alluded to.

Thanks! It's clearly what will happen… He can't be fired by the guy who hired him because that doesn't look good for the guy you hired him… So it's going to be a "retirement" if it does happen. Maybe he'll go out and win five national championships

Give him at least 4 full years to bring his guys in and evaluate the direction of the program. If he fails then, so be it. New coach time. I watched for two years wrs and tes running free with a QB who couldn't read a defense.. I want to see their QB guy go through the progressions and make the correct throw. MR better hit those JUCO ranks hard for next year at the DE spot.

• Fire 1

I expect we'll take a step back... but hopefully lay a good foundation for the offense, for the years that follow. We had so much wide receiver/TE talent this year which could have been used more effectively with a QB who could see more than one of them at a time. Unfortunately, QB next year won't have the same talent to work with, or at least experience. I'd be ecstatic with another 9-3 finish, but I'm expecting more like 7-5.

09/02 Arkansas State Lincoln

09/09 Oregon Eugene

09/16 N. Illinois Lincoln

09/23 #Rutgers Lincoln

09/29 #Illinois Champaign

10/07 #Wisconsin Lincoln

10/14 #Ohio State Lincoln

10/28 #Purdue W. Lafayette

11/04 #Northwestern Lincoln

11/11 #Minnesota Minneapolis

11/18 #Penn State State College

11/24 #Iowa Lincoln

We should not lose a single game with that schedule.

..... You, and people like you, are delusional.

Ohio St is winning the playoff this year. And they will have zero problem pasting us next year. I'd bet you a year's wages.

I'll kiss your butt if OSU wins the playoff this year.

09/02 Arkansas State Lincoln

09/09 Oregon Eugene

09/16 N. Illinois Lincoln

09/23 #Rutgers Lincoln

09/29 #Illinois Champaign

10/07 #Wisconsin Lincoln

10/14 #Ohio State Lincoln

10/28 #Purdue W. Lafayette

11/04 #Northwestern Lincoln

11/11 #Minnesota Minneapolis

11/18 #Penn State State College

11/24 #Iowa Lincoln

We should not lose a single game with that schedule.

..... You, and people like you, are delusional.

Ohio St is winning the playoff this year. And they will have zero problem pasting us next year. I'd bet you a year's wages.

I'll kiss your butt if OSU wins the playoff this year.

on 1 of his cheeks...or right in the middle?

Considering this is our boat next year .....

At least, not starts for us.

Great stat Mavric. I think we all appreciate Tommy's toughness and passing, but his lack of accuracy really brought our offense down. Not everything can be pinned upon him, but he finished 109th in passing accuracy out of 111 QBs. So many drives stalled because he could not make the short or intermediate throws.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/755/p3

Don't know why people think we are going to be worse next year offensively than this year. QB experience, or lack thereof has been proven to hold less significance over the years. Plus, if Tanner Lee is the QB, he isn't exactly inexperienced. He was also thrown into offense that would better suit Tommy Armstrong, hence how he received an extra year of eligibility.

Our offensive line is losing 1 starter, a walk on Center. Not saying we will be great, but we won't be worse off.

Our RB situation isn't any worse, but WRs will have less experience and depth. If there is improvement from the QB position, the WRs will benefit and show a big stride in statistical improvement.

I'm more concerned about our defense. I like the experience coming back on our DL and our secondary. My concern is the consistency.

The schedule stacks up against us, but so be it, next year we have each loss from this year in Memorial Stadium. Get an opponent under the lights and I like our odds

Edit; also, offense was statistically the worse it's been for 30+ years. If it gets worse, I'll buy the keg at the 2018 home opener cheering on a new staff.

Savage - we'll likely have a more accurate passer but I think you're underestimating how many hairy situations Armstrong escaped from with his legs. We will take more sacks and opposing teams won't have to worry about the QB run.

Also, we're losing 2-3 of our best receivers and our best 2 TEs.

The WR position willl be very thin, with only Morgan and DPE (somewhat Reimers) having significant playing experience.

The TE position loses the 3 players who played significant snaps at the position.

I understand that the offense may not be worse statistically, but I don't expect the offense to suddenly be fixed with a QB who's a better passer. The young players at WR and TE will cause the offense to be inconsistent, especially with a greater emphasis on passing.