Does Nebraska need to be "different" to be on top again?

Sker4Ever

To be able to use the resources around Nebraska we cannot run a pass heavy offense. I would like to see a pro style offense where we run 60/40...we could possibly be more towards that starting next season. I know Langs likes to throw it around more, but I think they also realize that the state of Nebraska doesn't want to abandon the run game.

Here are the comparisons of Langs first two years at Oregon State and Nebraska - also listed Wisconsin the past two years for reference.

Pass attempts average

Wisconsin 363

Oregon St 442

Nebraska 408

The pass attempts I am okay with, but the bigger concern is that we will have back to back years where a RB didn't get 1,000 yards. The last time that has happened was with Callahan in 05-06' Also doesn't help when you have a QB that has averaged 53% completions over the past two seasons with 24 INT to 36 TD. I think some on this board like to brush over this stat and act like Tommy was a good QB for us.

Just gotta follow the blueprint laid out by teams like Bama, Michigan, Ohio State -- shell out top dollar for a big-name coach that top recruits will actually want to come to Lincoln, Nebraska to play for. Only other option is to hope to catch lightning in a bottle with a young up-and-comer like Frost.

I know a lot of Husker fans hate this idea...but it is really the clear answer.

I get it, I get it "Urban Meyer isn't coming to NU"..."Saban isn't coming to NU"...No, not now, why would they?

But...Both could have been had years ago when they were both still pretty big names. I have never actually seen the Meyer quote that he would not come to NU because they fired a 9 win coach but if he did say it I am sure it had a lot more to do with letting it be known that he would want 5 million a year (back then)...Saban could have been had after the Dolphin mess, probably by most anyone.

To pretend like NU could not have had Meyer after BGSU or Utah is crazy.

The hard part is WHEN you make an offer. If you keep waiting and waiting until they become THE BEST...you might miss it.

• Fire 1

How different is Wisc or MSU? They have won at the Conference Championship level and have been in or near the playoff picture (except this year for MSU). They have an identity and recruit to it. Wisc isn't anything fancy but they have been successful. Not a every year success like Bama or OSU but they do consistently well enough to play often enough for the CCG with different coaches over the past 7 or so years.

I think we need to pick an identity, recruit to it only (don't worry about 5 stars who don't fit it), and then execute. Executing implies excellent coaching and mentoring. Think of Tom's team - everyone knew what we were going to do. We had a lot of 3 star players with enough 4 and 5s sprinkled in. But we executed so well - that not only takes good players but excellent coaching. Practice makes perfect IF the practice is perfect. Coaches make sure the practice is perfect. Look at our history since then

Frank had so so recruits but that was fading and his coaches were motivated like they were under Tom

BC - brought in some decent recruits but coaching was another story

Bo - recruiting never was great but then the coaching fell into the pits as Bo the maniac took over after all of BC's good recruits graduated.

MR - up grade in recruiting hopefully will see a match in coaching during the next 2 years.

On D I'd like to see much more team speed and recruit towards it. If that means turning RBs into LBs then so be it - recruit some athletes wt attitude on the D side and get the skill guys on O and build the OL pipeline again.

This^. Being different means getting back to what NU was. Power football. Counters, traps, dives, PA passing game. Throw in a little option. Road grading OL hulks. Kids raised in the farm belt. On defense, recruit like McBride. Guys who could run, then hitters and lastly size. "If they couldnt fly, we didn't look at them". Recruit mean. Recruit nasty. Scour the country for skill guys. Get guys we can get ready with S&C and coaching.....Develop an identity in both scheme and mentality and recruit for that and only that. Much easier to recruit and build depth IMO, when we get a "plug and play scheme". i.e. not a shifty back, not a big back, not nickel backs...Recruit guys who can ball. Plain and simple.

The reality is this. Iowa and Wisky who have owned the West since we moved in are us. Or were us. Or we were them..... We have lost all of that identity. They face the same if not worse recruiting disadvantages that we have yet have performed better. (and its getting old) We have a richer history, better facilities, Lincoln, IMO, is better.........

Nationally yes they have the same recruiting disadvantages. Locally no they don't. The state of Iowa produces more talent than the state of Nebraska. They have almost 2x the population of Nebraska. It is not a lot more, but it is more. Wisconsin produces a ton more talent than Nebraska. They have 6 mil plust people in the state. Look at thier starting roster it has a ton of local guys playing. The big think Barry Alvarez did when he was building the program at Wisconsin was to get the local talent to stay home. That local talent stays home now.

If NU could consistanty get 5-6 schollie recruits from the home state that would be a huge help. Iowa currently has 5 guys from Iowa in their recruiting class and 5 from Illinois. Wisconsin has 6 from the home state and a couple from Minnesota and Illinois. Those guys are the building blocks of teams. NU has 1 guy from instate committed right now. Wouldn't it be great if NU could get 20 recruits from instate every 4 years. It makes a huge difference.

• Fire 1

How different is Wisc or MSU? They have won at the Conference Championship level and have been in or near the playoff picture (except this year for MSU). They have an identity and recruit to it. Wisc isn't anything fancy but they have been successful. Not a every year success like Bama or OSU but they do consistently well enough to play often enough for the CCG with different coaches over the past 7 or so years.

I think we need to pick an identity, recruit to it only (don't worry about 5 stars who don't fit it), and then execute. Executing implies excellent coaching and mentoring. Think of Tom's team - everyone knew what we were going to do. We had a lot of 3 star players with enough 4 and 5s sprinkled in. But we executed so well - that not only takes good players but excellent coaching. Practice makes perfect IF the practice is perfect. Coaches make sure the practice is perfect. Look at our history since then

Frank had so so recruits but that was fading and his coaches were motivated like they were under Tom

Bo - recruiting never was great but then the coaching fell into the pits as Bo the maniac took over after all of BC's good recruits graduated.

MR - up grade in recruiting hopefully will see a match in coaching during the next 2 years.

On D I'd like to see much more team speed and recruit towards it. If that means turning RBs into LBs then so be it - recruit some athletes wt attitude on the D side and get the skill guys on O and build the OL pipeline again.

This^. Being different means getting back to what NU was. Power football. Counters, traps, dives, PA passing game. Throw in a little option. Road grading OL hulks. Kids raised in the farm belt. On defense, recruit like McBride. Guys who could run, then hitters and lastly size. "If they couldnt fly, we didn't look at them". Recruit mean. Recruit nasty. Scour the country for skill guys. Get guys we can get ready with S&C and coaching.....Develop an identity in both scheme and mentality and recruit for that and only that. Much easier to recruit and build depth IMO, when we get a "plug and play scheme". i.e. not a shifty back, not a big back, not nickel backs...Recruit guys who can ball. Plain and simple.

The reality is this. Iowa and Wisky who have owned the West since we moved in are us. Or were us. Or we were them..... We have lost all of that identity. They face the same if not worse recruiting disadvantages that we have yet have performed better. (and its getting old) We have a richer history, better facilities, Lincoln, IMO, is better.........

Nationally yes they have the same recruiting disadvantages. Locally no they don't. The state of Iowa produces more talent than the state of Nebraska. They have almost 2x the population of Nebraska. It is not a lot more, but it is more. Wisconsin produces a ton more talent than Nebraska. They have 6 mil plust people in the state. Look at thier starting roster it has a ton of local guys playing. The big think Barry Alvarez did when he was building the program at Wisconsin was to get the local talent to stay home. That local talent stays home now.

If NU could consistanty get 5-6 schollie recruits from the home state that would be a huge help. Iowa currently has 5 guys from Iowa in their recruiting class and 5 from Illinois. Wisconsin has 6 from the home state and a couple from Minnesota and Illinois. Those guys are the building blocks of teams. NU has 1 guy from instate committed right now. Wouldn't it be great if NU could get 20 recruits from instate every 4 years. It makes a huge difference.

I agree with most of this. Below are the players who are at least a 3 :star from their home state (juco doesn't count) per Rivals

Iowa 14

Wisconsin 7 (one 4* - only one out of the three states)

Nebraska 2

I agree with most of this. Below are the players who are at least a 3 :star from their home state (juco doesn't count) per Rivals

Iowa 14

Wisconsin 7 (one 4* - only one out of the three states)

Nebraska 2

Thanks for the info. That flat out sucks.....

Why do so many people care about where we get our talent from. I for one don't care what state a player is from as long as they can play.. it would be totally different if Nebraska's state lines were busting at the seams with top talent. Apparently that's not the case. I can understand it in a situation like Indiana Basketball. More talent then you can shaken stick at and if IU loses the top recruit in the state to another school they are upset, especially if they leave the state. Those are normally 5* kids. Look at Notre Dame, IU, Purdue's football rosters and tell me how many kids they have from Indiana.. those teams arent very good whether or not they are getting in state talent or not.

Granted, a guy like janovich woulda been a 6ypc 900yd rusher and all conference player under our former offensive scheme. There are players we could do well with under the former (90s) staff. Baker S. comes to mind.

BUT WE AINT GOING BACK.

The sooner we realize this the sooner we can move on.

I once went to a cubs game about 5 yrs ago. The first 3 innings the pitcher was throwing a 1 hitter. In the 4th inning he gave up a couple runs and the mood in the stadium was so negative, so pessimistic, so intolerant....I thought to myself "no wonder these guys suck, the fans are MISERABLE".

Let's not be like that.

It took some new GM, new manager, new players...but they won it. We can win too, let's enjoy the process.

• Fire 2

I think the answer is yes.

Having a heavy run base, with option would help NU like it used to. This would allow NU to recruit athletes nation wide other teams arent looking at. Also would allow the team to make best use of big Nebraska farm boys, walk ons. Defensive ends, linebackers, Fullbacks. I backs from Omaha.

Reinstate the pipeline.

If you look at the old successful teams around 40% at any given time were Nebraska boys.

There have only been ten players in College football to win the Outland and Lombardi trophy. 4 of those were from Nebraska U. We need to get back to that!

A power running game doesn't let you recruit great players that other teams ignore. Every Power 5 team will be scouring the country for big dominant linemen and the best running backs.

And we should ALWAYS target the best in-state players, be they big OL farm boys and Omaha I-Backs or speedy wide receivers and passing quarterbacks. I don't know why we assume kids from Nebraska lack the skill to pass and catch.

What you can occasionally do is land a great athlete that other colleges want to convert to receiver or DB and promise him a shot at dual threat QB. But that can be a mixed blessing, too.