What's Behind the Staff Changes

Mavric

First, I am fairly excited to see a new DC. I have never been on board with Banker and Read needed to go, based on results or lack of.

To answer question: Shawn Eichorst is directly behind the staff changes. Eichorst future with Nebraska is based solely on the success of the football team. Whether for /against the coaching change, it was a hotly debated issue. When he brought in MR, many Nebraska fans and national media, were less than impressed.

If MR doesn't pan out, it will be completely on Eichorst and he is well aware that his job and legacy depends on this. He flat out said in interviews that our talent level needs to increase. Ironically, 3 of our least productive recruiters are gone. Eichorst is on the sideline and inside the player's box every game, more than any other A.D. I have ever seen (Maybe Pat Hayden). He acts like Jerry Jones used to with Dallas. I can't believe how much freedom he uses and abuses. He does it because he understands this is his legacy.

Now, MR is willing to listen and try, regardless of "Friendships". This is were the previous staff didn't respond. MR isn't too proud or egotistical to cut bait, admit a bad hire and try to rectify the situation. MR understands he has to win.

** All in all, I think the change is good, and regardless of who is behind those decisions, it is being done to win games and to save jobs. If this happens, we will all be happy !

Do you have some sort of inside info on this. I am sure SE was part of the process, but I doubt that he went to MR and said you have to fire Banker.

I have some inside info yes, but from people who associate with the athletic department and have with SE. He does things his way. Not saying it is bad...that is for everyone's own opinion.

I think he does have a big say. This is why Bo is no longer here. Bo wouldn't conform to some things SE wanted changed. MR is doing what he and his boss believe the program needs.

** There is no hiding the fact that SE takes a very active role, if people just watch and listen to his comments.

BP is no longer at NU because Perlman and SE didn't want him here. It is a big difference to fire the HC and to flat out tell a HC how to run his staff and team. As I said I have no doubt that SE has had input into the situation, but I doubt he flat out came out and said you need to get rid of Banker now. Do I think SE discussed what he thought would help the program and he may have thought the DC position was a problem, probably.

I just don't think it was a you need to fire Banker now or else type of thing.

I am not saying that SE said "Banker or You"..... put I am sure it was suggested that changes needed to take place and MR decided Banker was the guy.

Fair enough, but in you initial post you said SE is directly behind the staff Changes which in my view is SE basically telling MR to get rid of Banker. If the thought wasn't in MR mnd I doubt he would have done it.

Gotcha....by "directly", I was saying that SE is telling MR that he needs to win and win now. He has also stated publicly that we need to recruit better. SE needs to have the program win. SE is more involved in football than the other sports combined. HE is directly behind the suggestions to "upgrade"... did not mean that he directly went after Banker. Sorry that my first post implied that.

First, I am fairly excited to see a new DC. I have never been on board with Banker and Read needed to go, based on results or lack of.

To answer question: Shawn Eichorst is directly behind the staff changes. Eichorst future with Nebraska is based solely on the success of the football team. Whether for /against the coaching change, it was a hotly debated issue. When he brought in MR, many Nebraska fans and national media, were less than impressed.

If MR doesn't pan out, it will be completely on Eichorst and he is well aware that his job and legacy depends on this. He flat out said in interviews that our talent level needs to increase. Ironically, 3 of our least productive recruiters are gone. Eichorst is on the sideline and inside the player's box every game, more than any other A.D. I have ever seen (Maybe Pat Hayden). He acts like Jerry Jones used to with Dallas. I can't believe how much freedom he uses and abuses. He does it because he understands this is his legacy.

Now, MR is willing to listen and try, regardless of "Friendships". This is were the previous staff didn't respond. MR isn't too proud or egotistical to cut bait, admit a bad hire and try to rectify the situation. MR understands he has to win.

** All in all, I think the change is good, and regardless of who is behind those decisions, it is being done to win games and to save jobs. If this happens, we will all be happy !

I agree for the most part. I like the change, I also like the initiative taken by both SE and MR - they both deserve credit.... I don't agree with the general idea that this is an attempt (or abuse of powers) by SE to save his job -- this is his job! I would be more concerned if he was any less involved than he is.

It is the responsibility of everyone within the program to work together, not against each other - just like at any other successful business, everyone needs to be on the same page, working toward the same common goal.

It is SE's job to review, assess, and critique the quality of work by all of the coaches. It's also MR's job (as it was Bo's, and anyone else who has a job) to accept the critique of a superior at work, especially when the critique is as obvious as it is/has been at NU, and take appropriate actions. MR deserves some freedom and latitude in regards to his staff, but they are still part of the AD's responsibilities - regardless of the AD's own job security.

SE may have brought up the idea of staff changes, but that doesn't mean he's abusing his powers. He gave Bo several chances to make some changes before firing him, and I'm sure this is the same situation, only MR is smart and humble enough to accept advice from a superior at work. I doubt any changes would have come from SE this season if MR declined to make changes, or if MR explained why these assistants were more important to the success of NU than SE (or most of us) would give credit for, but I can't imagine an "annual review" meeting taking place between SE and MR without these issues coming up.

• Fire 1

Why would Eichorst pick on banker? Our defense was ranked 30th and our offense was ranked 90th? WITH A SENIOR QB. Why is riley getting so much credit for firing Banker? Cavanaugh still has a job and that is the teams BIGGEST WEAKNESS

note the focus on recruiting and even eichorst said we have to "acquire talent." Cavanaugh has been pulling in and getting the attention of good OL recruits

My brother presented at the AFCA and met 1 husker. Turner Gill was the only husker he saw at the whole convention. He took pics w Dabo all the way to Eddie George. Didn't see any other husker contingencies. Just .02 on that.

Are you implying that Mike Riley got too drunk in his room off peach Schnapps and passed out in the bathtub?

Peach schnapps? He's not a 17-year old girl

Why would Eichorst pick on banker? Our defense was ranked 30th and our offense was ranked 90th? WITH A SENIOR QB. Why is riley getting so much credit for firing Banker? Cavanaugh still has a job and that is the teams BIGGEST WEAKNESS

I'll TL;DR it for you.

Our offense was injured and played good defenses.

Our defense was fine and played trash offenses.

The defensive numbers are a mirage. Our YPP was bad, and the only offenses we played with a pulse tore us up on defense.

Banker's Defenses were statistically the worst since Cos' infamous 2007 unit.

• Fire 1

Its crazy that our DC gets fired and all the Bo-lievers come out of the woodwork. They constantly attack and bitch about the two people who are doing whatever it takes to make Nebraska relevant again. Go root for YSU you clowns!

This literally makes no sense. Stopping making strawman arguments.

I agree. I hate that if you are critical of Riley, Eichorst, etc. at all you are a "Bo-liever". They are not the same.

• Fire 2

Its crazy that our DC gets fired and all the Bo-lievers come out of the woodwork. They constantly attack and bitch about the two people who are doing whatever it takes to make Nebraska relevant again. Go root for YSU you clowns!

This literally makes no sense. Stopping making strawman arguments.

I agree. I hate that if you are critical of Riley, Eichorst, etc. at all you are a "Bo-liever". They are not the same.

Yup, it's a garbage argument.

We're about to make it bannable, because it's nothing but trolling.

• Fire 1

Its far from trolling. Ive been a lurker for years. Certain people i havent seen in a while, that were bashing people a few years ago when people were calling for Bo's head, all of a sudden show back up? Its amazing that that those same few people are now all of a sudden start looking for conspiracies concerning the AD. It was annoying 2 years ago, and still is today

Sorry if it looks like trolling, wasnt my intent. Just tired of the "AD is the devil" BS, and im not the only person.

• Fire 5

Its far from trolling. Ive been a lurker for years. Certain people i havent seen in a while, that were bashing people a few years ago when people were calling for Bo's head, all of a sudden show back up? Its amazing that that those same few people are now all of a sudden start looking for conspiracies concerning the AD. It was annoying 2 years ago, and still is today

Sorry if it looks like trolling, wasnt my intent. Just tired of the "AD is the devil" BS, and im not the only person.

You can try to explain it away, but it serves no purpose other than to cause issues.
  • Fire 2