The Republican Utopia

2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

It probably is completely legal and I have no doubt the the Supreme Court would rule in favor of South Carolina.

Doesn't make it palatable though....

It depends. We want religious organizations to do that sort of work. Some deference has to be given to their beliefs. 

At first glance, I don’t think an adoption agency discriminating in that way should be receiving federal or state funding.

46 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It’s actually an interesting legal argument. 

You're right. Especially in an environment where the primary occupation of the worker in question is to provide religious instruction.

The question would hinge, in part, on how much of a foster care provider's work is faith-based.  Some would say that everything they do is based on their faith, while some would say raising a child is areligious. 

9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It depends. We want religious organizations to do that sort of work. Some deference has to be given to their beliefs. 

At first glance, I don’t think an adoption agency discriminating in that way should be receiving federal or state funding.

I agree 100%

36 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

How can someone sound so sensible at one point then other times.....not so much. 

People who don’t want to be viewed as evil shouldn’t align themselves with parties that have leaders doing evil in the party's name. It’s not a requirement.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

How can someone sound so sensible at one point then other times.....not so much. 

Marco Rubio campaign email decries 'Democrats' extremism' as high-profile liberals targeted with explosives

Senator Marco Rubio's campaign sent an email Wednesday denouncing "Democrats' extremism" as authorities intercepted explosive devices targeting high-profile liberal figures including former President Barack Obama.

The email from the Florida lawmaker's campaign, titled "It will only get worse," said that Democrats were altering political standards and blocking progress in the Senate.

"Democrats' partisanship has gone into overdrive, and the norms that once governed our politics and public discourse are gone," the email said. 

"Their extremism and obstruction have hijacked the Senate's productivity for long enough, and if we do not prevent them from taking control, it will only get worse. I know this sounds overblown, but as someone who has been a recent target of Democrats' extremism, I can assure you this is the daily reality we're facing if we lose."

Maybe this dick should take some of his own advice instead of trying to raise money off of this situation?

Is there any politician in American politics more disappointing than Marco Rubio? He seems like he's got such potential to be a bridge-building consensus seeker that rises above petty politics, but he never, ever follows through when it counts. Ever. He is such a wet fart.

• Plus1 3

21 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

fPCzZRp.jpg

Reminds me of a line in Oliver Stone's film "JFK" from Mr. X. 

"The Organizing principle of any society is for war. The authority of the state over its people resides in its war powers." 

Say what you will about that particular film, but that line always stuck with me. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Fru said:

Reminds me of a line in Oliver Stone's film "JFK" from Mr. X. 

"The Organizing principle of any society is for war. The authority of the state over its people resides in its war powers." 

Say what you will about that particular film, but that line always stuck with me. 

That's true of America. That's true of other superpowers. That's certainly not true of all societies. And it doesn't have to be true. We allow it to be.

• Plus1 2

I’m perfectly fine with the U.S. spending the most on its military. Having bases all over is a good way to defend our interests, but it costs $.

Where I have issues is that we spend more than twice as much as the next country, who spends more than thrice as much as the 3rd country.

From some of the info I’ve read we waste a lot of $ due to politicians being convinced by lobbyists for companies that make military equipment. I want us to cut out the waste and pay personnel more and give veterans better health care. We’d still be able to save a lot of $ while paying them better salaries if we stop the wastage.