The Republican Utopia

I saw on Twitter that the Ricketts family announced they would have a Cubs-owned sports book at Wrigley Field in Chicago.  Yet, Pete Ricketts continues to be against gambling for the state of Nebraska.  It's ironic that the Ricketts family doesn't have a problem with gambling when it comes to their wallet, but it's not good for the people of the state which Ricketts governs.

I don't have a problem with gambling, or people who profit from gambling.  I do have an issue with the hypocrisy that Ricketts is showing in this situation.  I also realize that Tom Osborne thinks gambling, alcohol, and weed are paths to all things unholy.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

My first thought too. His approval was <40% when he left office, right?

Maybe he helps us peel off a few old-school country club GOP votes here. If so I guess we'll take it. I want to run up the score here.

29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK....I'm not voting for him.  I'm just glad that more GOP politicians are coming out against Trump.

In all honesty he wasn't that bad of a governor. If you're a reasonable conservative he's pretty much what you want. He helped get the state growing again after it was ravaged by the recession and urban flight, and started the process of much, much need infrastructure improvements. He just really bungled the Flint thing.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, ZRod said:

In all honesty he wasn't that bad of a governor. If you're a reasonable conservative he's pretty much what you want. He helped get the state growing again after it was ravaged by the recession and urban flight, and started the process of much, much need infrastructure improvements. He just really bungled the Flint thing.

That's a really huge thing to bungle, and it's still not fixed. Plus he tried to cover it up, that's where he goes from reasonable to dirtbag in my book.

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

That's a really huge thing to bungle, and it's still not fixed. Plus he tried to cover it up, that's where he goes from reasonable to dirtbag in my book.

While this is all true, the key here is how he's perceived by approachable Republican voters or swing voters in Michigan. You & I aren't going to care much for this guy's endorsement anyway.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, knapplc said:

While this is all true, the key here is how he's perceived by approachable Republican voters or swing voters in Michigan. You & I aren't going to care much for this guy's endorsement anyway.

That's my point.  I'm not voting for him.  But, the more GOPers speak out about this, hopefully it filters down to the voters.

And...let's also not act like the Flint issue was caused by him.  Yes, he should have handled the problem differently once it was found....but, he wasn't the cause.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

And...let's also not act like the Flint issue was caused by him.  Yes, he should have handled the problem differently once it was found....but, he wasn't the cause.

I also wonder how many people who would be influenced by Snyder care all that much about Flint. Not necessarily hostile or ill-wishing against Flint, but more, "Not my circus, not my monkeys" about it.

31 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I also wonder how many people who would be influenced by Snyder care all that much about Flint. Not necessarily hostile or ill-wishing against Flint, but more, "Not my circus, not my monkeys" about it.

It's basically a running joke in the state. Kind of like Council Tucky is to Omaha.

33 minutes ago, QMany said:

Using taxpayer money and the DOJ to personally defend Donald Trump's defamation defense regarding his rape of one of 20+ women. Burn the entire enabling GOP to the ground.

And the Dems force Franken to resign because of an inappropriate/suggestive picture and an unwanted kiss 10 years ago...