How Herbie Husker got his updated look

knapplc

Anyone remember this guy? He actually looked like Herbie.

http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/63775162.html

35zBE6P.jpg

I do remember seeing this guy at many Cornhusker home games.

I agree with what others have said...I would like to see Nebraska bring back the old Herbie!

HerbieHusker1974.gif

I want that guy. Give me the fat blond guy in overalls with a corn cob in his pocket.

While we are at it, I wish we would use the term "Cornhuskers" more often than "Huskers". I understand Huskers is shorter and easier to use, but the Cornhuskers is the actual nickname of the University sports teams.

I believe that "Dollar Bill" Byrne (AD) wanted to completely end the use of the term Cornhuskers as he felt it was "corny" and too 'hick' or words to that effect. He wanted to rebrand us to get away from the farmer/rural/country rube image that Cornhuskers and Herbie suggested. I believe Lil Red was a Byrne introduction as well. He was very popular in first couple years and was selected as the best in the country IIRC at the time.

I like both Huskers and Cornhuskers. Very few songs, chants, cheers, etc etc actually use Cornhuskers that I can think of actually.

Husker Power!!! does have a better ring to it than Cornhusker Power! Huskers is the best nickname in all of football in my view. It's unique, has a powerful but non-violent or threatening or ominous tone such as 'Devils' or Raiders or other similar terms and it does not demean or disrespect any ethnic or social group or other such negative attributes.

Having been a Nebraska corn farmer for 45 years plus, I am quite comfortable with the powerful, hard working, productive, etc image and it does represent Nebraska, the State and its biggest product, quite well.

Go Huskers!

I believe that "Dollar Bill" Byrne (AD) wanted to completely end the use of the term Cornhuskers as he felt it was "corny" and too 'hick' or words to that effect. He wanted to rebrand us to get away from the farmer/rural/country rube image that Cornhuskers and Herbie suggested. I believe Lil Red was a Byrne introduction as well. He was very popular in first couple years and was selected as the best in the country IIRC at the time.

I like both Huskers and Cornhuskers. Very few songs, chants, cheers, etc etc actually use Cornhuskers that I can think of actually.

Husker Power!!! does have a better ring to it than Cornhusker Power! Huskers is the best nickname in all of football in my view. It's unique, has a powerful but non-violent or threatening or ominous tone such as 'Devils' or Raiders or other similar terms and it does not demean or disrespect any ethnic or social group or other such negative attributes.

Having been a Nebraska corn farmer for 45 years plus, I am quite comfortable with the powerful, hard working, productive, etc image and it does represent Nebraska, the State and its biggest product, quite well.

Go Huskers!

Yes, Huskers is a perfectly acceptable term when saying Husker Power (which I LOVE chanting) and Go Huskers!!! But when pairing the nickname with the school, it's the Nebraska CORNHUSKERS, not the Nebraska Huskers.

• Fire 1

Go Huskers!

Wait, you are not a lawyer?

Anyone remember this guy? He actually looked like Herbie.

http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/63775162.html

35zBE6P.jpg

When the thread started, I took to my phone to find pictures of him (archived off). We ran into him & hung out at our bowl games like 3 years in row. Super awesome guy and spitting image of our actual mascot.

I am about 95% sure we saw this dude at the Arena Sports Bar (an authorized Husker watch site in Phoenix) this year during one of the games. Had to be. Same outfit and everything. If not, he has a twin.