Bob Elliott is N

ADS

Good article on Elliot.

I like this hire a lot. Guy seems to be highly respected, is committed and puts in the work, and he knows the system Diaco will be running. Plus I think he'll be just fine recruiting. People put a little too much emphasis on the "recruiter" aspect imo. A lot of these stellar recruiters come by that designation via self fulfilling prophecy. These top recruiters get their rep by recruiting at schools that are going to draw top talent regardless who is recruiting them. So all these Bama guys etc. aren't going to pull all 5* players at NU like they do where they gained their rep. What we need as much or more than recruiters is the guys that can get the most out of the players Nebraska is going to get. We aren't going to pul top ten recruiting classes no matter how many recruiting aces we put on staff.

If it wasn't for his health problems, BE likely would've been Hayden Fry's replacement at Iowa. Say what you will about Iowa but that says a lot about his coaching ability. This was a great hire imo.

• Fire 1

Son of former Iowa athletics director and Michigan head football coach Bump Elliott LINK

Pretty good coaching lineage. :thumbs:

Lots of good info here's some that caught my eye

• Involved in numerous areas of the program including player personnel, analytics, defensive strategy, game planning and on-campus recruiting

Could be to help replace Gundy as well

• Coached safeties in a Notre Dame secondary that helped the Irish rank 15th in the Football Bowl Subdivision in fewest passing yards allowed per game (198.2), 16th in passing yards allowed per completion (10.73) and 17th in passing yards allowed per attempt (6.31)
  • Critical in the development of Notre Dame’s inexperienced secondary in 2012
  • Coached secondary that helped the Irishrank among the top 20 FBS schools in thefollowing pass defense categories: fewest pass yards per completion (9.95, 2nd), fewest touchdown passes (11, t-6th), pass efficiency (111.36, 16th), interceptions (16, t-20th), fewest pass yards per attempt (5.98,13th) interception percentage (3.69, 24th) and pass defense (199.77, 25th)

Coach them up, right?

• Part of a coaching staff at Kansas State that helped the Wildcats record a pair of 11-win seasons, claim the school’s first Big 12 championship and advance to the 2003 Fiesta Bowl – thefirst BCS bowl appearance in school history
  • Guided defenses at Kansas State that allowed an average of 111.6 rushing yards per game, 194.1 passing yards per game over his four seasons as defensive coordinator
  • Elliott's 2002 defense led the nation in scoring defense (11.8 points per game), ranked second in total defense (249.0 yards) and rushing defense (69.5 yards) and was third in pass efficiency defense (91.7)
  • Mentored Kansas State cornerback Terence Newman, who was a consensus All-American in 2002 and recipient of the Jim Thorpe Award
  • Helped Newman capture the 2002 Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year and become the fifth overall selection in the 2003 NFL Draft by the Dallas Cowboys

This is a great hire ! I am glad most are optimistic. We have guys in place to recruit. I have said it and read it a 1000 times over about getting kids and COACHING them up ! Well, we have guys who can get kids here, and now we have added a guy who can COACH them up. It is like having your cake and eating it too. Furthermore, Riley understands the importance of recruiting , so I would like to think that he has more recruiting ties than we know.

Like I said in another thread, it's hard to question Riley on these decisions with the last four hires he made looking like home runs (K. Williams, JP, D. Williams, and Diaco)

Technically last 4 were Stew, JP, DW, Diaco.

I knew I should of looked that up before posting! Ha!

You weren't far off. Warren was the only coach retained by MR, but he left after NSD. KW was already there. Then they hired Stew to replace CW.