The First Trump Impeachment Thread

@Redux  I think there are 2 questions. Is it the right thing to impeach Trump, and is it a good idea politically.

It's right to impeach Trump, and the Republicans should do the right thing with the Democrats. I feel like they would earn respect that way, could try to save Pence and have him be their nominee. He might even win.

Politically is the main question you're asking, I believe. I don't think the Democrats had a choice. I think they were between a rock and a hard place. I think they would be worse off by doing nothing than by going through with it. I think there are a lot of people who don't like either party but vote Democrat, and they'd lose a lot of those people if they didn't do this.

And for both, I think, they had to do this. We need to have foresight with this stuff too. Doing nothing sends a signal to future political candidates who might have more nefarious goals than Trump, although it's too early to say what will happen with him.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

@Redux  I think there are 2 questions. Is it the right thing to impeach Trump, and is it a good idea politically.

It's right to impeach Trump, and the Republicans should do the right thing with the Democrats. I feel like they would earn respect that way, could try to save Pence and have him be their nominee. He might even win.

Politically is the main question you're asking, I believe. I don't think the Democrats had a choice. I think they were between a rock and a hard place. I think they would be worse off by doing nothing than by going through with it. I think there are a lot of people who don't like either party but vote Democrat, and they'd lose a lot of those people if they didn't do this.

And for both, I think, they had to do this. We need to have foresight with this stuff too. Doing nothing sends a signal to future political candidates who might have more nefarious goals than Trump, although it's too early to say what will happen with him.

I can't really answer that question honestly because most will see it as Republican Deflection or something.  Do I think Trump should be impeached over the Ukraine thing?  Not really.  Tar and feather me, but considering members of both parties were involved and Trump's name alone instills agression in many, I think this was just the best thing they had to go off of.  That's pretty sad considering his first 4yrs are almost up and the laundry list of stuff I've seen listed in this forum.

I don't think the Democrats were forced to do this at all.  They did this because they know how unlikely it is that a Dem gets the vote in 2020, Impeachment makes Trump look bad so they theew this as a hail mary.  It's been deflected.  Nobody was going to vote for Trump if the Dems didn't do this, if they disliked Trump before, nothing has changed.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oh....the part where I basically said what you asked. 

Yiu really can't help it can you.  This is why I lean Right a lot of the time.  Repubs talk to me, Libs talk at me.

5 minutes ago, Redux said:

I don't think the Democrats Republicans were forced to do this at all.  They did this because they know how unlikely it is that a Dem Repub gets the vote in 2020, Impeachment Benghazi makes Trump Hillary look bad so they theew this as a hail mary.  It's been deflected.  Nobody was going to vote for Trump Hillary if the Dems GOP didn't do this, if they disliked Trump Hillary before, nothing has changed.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611f3d1d1d6a095da72d4

Didn't exactly backfire into a President Clinton in this case, either...

1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

The democrats should not have limited this impeachment to just Ukraine. That was stupid. Bring everything to the table. Ukraine, 10 times he obstructed justice during Mueller investigation. Emoluments clause. Human rights abuses on the border. Over 10,000 lies since taking office, I mean afterall, Lindsay Graham said that is impeachable In the 90s. He has committed so many impeachable offenses its crazy but yet the democrats pick the one that most people have a hard time following and say they are limiting to only that. Dumb. 

Articles of impeachment have not been drafted yet.....

35 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

We haven't seen what the articles of impeachment are yet ...

Should have kept reading lol

• Plus1 1

:dunno

President Donald Trump’s White House Counsel Pat Cipollone sent a letter to Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler (D-NY) telling him that neither the president nor his lawyers will participate in the hearings.

Trump and the GOP have complained for the past several weeks that Democrats are violating the Constitution by not allowing Trump “Due Process” in the impeachment inquiry. 

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/12/trump-refuses-to-participate-in-impeachment-hearing-after-complaining-he-couldnt-participate-in-hearings/

• Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, commando said:

:dunno

President Donald Trump’s White House Counsel Pat Cipollone sent a letter to Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler (D-NY) telling him that neither the president nor his lawyers will participate in the hearings.

Trump and the GOP have complained for the past several weeks that Democrats are violating the Constitution by not allowing Trump “Due Process” in the impeachment inquiry. 

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/12/trump-refuses-to-participate-in-impeachment-hearing-after-complaining-he-couldnt-participate-in-hearings/

So....just to clarify, they complain they don’t get to participate then refuse to participate. 

do I have that right?

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Redux said:

So nobody thinks the Democrats have come out of this looking desperate?  Forget the fact Trump probably did a bunch of bad s#!t that deserves removal for a second and look at this thing as a whole.  Does this actually look like a well thought out, well executed plan?  Or does it look like a glorified witch hunt with a half assed cast of characters.

You’re right.  If I forget about all the bad things he’s done, he’s really not a bad guy.

AYFKM???

• Plus1 2