ESPN predicts Nebraska’s 2017 season game by game

Sounds like they are predicting Riley to be fired.

I want to see Mike Riley succeed.

But if the Huskers do collapse and have another 5-7 regular season in 2017...it would be a difficult case to make justifying a 4th year.

My expectations for this team are 3 losses or less. Let's start by breaking the 4 loss "curse."

You're in for a big let down. New defense and a new QB. These aren't little things.

You're expecting the Defense and QB to be.....worse than they were last year? That's an interesting expectation.

I think there's going to be definite growing pains. To expect three losses or less is unrealistic unless Diaco delivers a miracle and Lee is much better than I expect.

To expect 7 losses is unrealistic. I just don't get people that look at their favorite team and see countless flaws in that team, but look at other teams and see none or very little.

I get that PJ Fleck is the super coach of the month and all that but he is taking over a program that will be getting a new OC,DC,HC and,QB. A program that to a are large extent had players that really liked its old coach and a school that Nebraska has beat the last 2 years, yet they are going to win this year.

I also get that Willie Taggard is the #2 super coach of the month, but is taking over a program in Oregon that will also replace its OC,DC, and HC. A program that went 4-8 last year was a mess and couldn't stop a Jr High 7th grade B team from scoring 30. Yet NU has absolutely no chance to win this game according to ESPN's predictors?

Why is it that in your mind Nebraska will have all these growing pains yet 2 teams we play with more turnover than Nebraska will not.

I can't wrap my head around this.

• Fire 4

But if the Huskers do collapse and have another 5-7 regular season in 2017...it would be a difficult case to make justifying a 4th year.

My expectations for this team are 3 losses or less. Let's start by breaking the 4 loss "curse."

You're in for a big let down. New defense and a new QB. These aren't little things.

Kinda seems like this will be the first year that we have a QB - No let down from that standpoint

Do we? He wasn't recruited out of high school and didn't exactly light it up and lowly Tulane. These unrealistically high expectations are the reason why this board goes ape poop when we lose. Coach Osborne is gone and we're a middle of the road program. We haven't won a conference title since 2001. We are pretty good against Northwestern and Illinois. Not so much against Iowa or Wisconsin. Yes, not so good against Iowa or Wisconsin and last year's game against OSU was the most telling game about this program. Temper those expectations, fellow Husker fans. You'll feel better about the losses.

If Tanner Lee won the starting job at Iowa or Wisconsin we would be laughing about it

After watching what Jake Rudock did at Michigan and what Russell Wilson did at Wisconsin after a transfer, I am never going to laugh about transfers that have done very little at one place and then go to another school. Wilson did nothing at NCSt other than throw INT and for a low percentage. He left because he lost his job. The same goes for Rudock. All he did was lead Meechicken to 10-11 wins.

I am going to wait and see what happens and not think doom and gloom.

Kinda seems like this will be the first year that we have a QB - No let down from that standpoint

Do we? He wasn't recruited out of high school and didn't exactly light it up and lowly Tulane. These unrealistically high expectations are the reason why this board goes ape poop when we lose. Coach Osborne is gone and we're a middle of the road program. We haven't won a conference title since 2001. We are pretty good against Northwestern and Illinois. Not so much against Iowa or Wisconsin. Yes, not so good against Iowa or Wisconsin and last year's game against OSU was the most telling game about this program. Temper those expectations, fellow Husker fans. You'll feel better about the losses.

If Tanner Lee won the starting job at Iowa or Wisconsin we would be laughing about it

After watching what Jake Rudock did at Michigan and what Russell Wilson did at Wisconsin after a transfer, I am never going to laugh about transfers that have done very little at one place and then go to another school. Wilson did nothing at NCSt other than throw INT and for a low percentage. He left because he lost his job. The same goes for Rudock. All he did was lead Meechicken to 10-11 wins.

I am with you on that!

ESPN predicts Nebraska’s 2017 season game by game

Nov. 4 – vs. Northwestern

Northwestern FPI Rank: 29

ESPN Prediction: Loss

Nebraska's chance of winning: 37.2 percent

We have a 37% chance of beating Northwestern?? In Lincoln?!? :blink:

Fortunately HB has an emoti for this type of tripe:

:espnsucks:

Yeah, that was the one where my jaw really hit the floor.

Just because a QB wasn't highly regarded out of HS doesn't mean he can't develop and become a good one. Did anyone expect CJ Vandenburg to be worth a sh#t? Did anyone expect Joel Stave to be a starter at a school like Wisconsin? Was Connor Cook heavily recruited? No, no, and no.

Give the kid a chance.

• Fire 1

You're expecting the Defense and QB to be.....worse than they were last year? That's an interesting expectation.

I think there's going to be definite growing pains. To expect three losses or less is unrealistic unless Diaco delivers a miracle and Lee is much better than I expect.

To expect 7 losses is unrealistic. I just don't get people that look at their favorite team and see countless flaws in that team, but look at other teams and see none or very little.

I get that PJ Fleck is the super coach of the month and all that but he is taking over a program that will be getting a new OC,DC,HC and,QB. A program that to a are large extent had players that really liked its old coach and a school that Nebraska has beat the last 2 years, yet they are going to win this year.

I also get that Willie Taggard is the #2 super coach of the month, but is taking over a program in Oregon that will also replace its OC,DC, and HC. A program that went 4-8 last year was a mess and couldn't stop a Jr High 7th grade B team from scoring 30. Yet NU has absolutely no chance to win this game according to ESPN's predictors?

Why is it that in your mind Nebraska will have all these growing pains yet 2 teams we play with more turnover than Nebraska will not.

You reference Oregon as being 4-8. They had NU beat most of the game.

Oregon has the athletes and you'll see it this year. Helfrich was just that bad of a coach and Frost and Mariota just masked it. I didn't believe it at the time but that was before all the reports of division of the team and how soft Helfrich was as a coach.

Oregon will be better. I'll call my shot and own it. Last year I got blasted when I said Oregon wasn't going to be very good after the NU game.

Oregon has the athletes and you'll see it this year. Helfrich was just that bad of a coach and Frost and Mariota just masked it. I didn't believe it at the time but that was before all the reports of division of the team and how soft Helfrich was as a coach.

Oregon will be better. I'll call my shot and own it. Last year I got blasted when I said Oregon wasn't going to be very good after the NU game.

I didn't think they were going to be very good after watching them give up 35 to UC Davis. They were actually beating quite a few teams before they lost last year. :B)

Look Oregon very well may be a 10 win team next year. Taggert may turn them around that quickly. But, for ESPN to predict a 14% chance of Nebraska winning that game is dumb. I would say it is probably a toss up game and if Lee lives up to 80% of his hype, I think Nebraska wins the game.

• Fire 2

But, yet very similar things can be said on the defensive side of the ball with Diaco taking over for Banker. But, Nebraska's defense is supposed to suck and have growing pains while Oregon is going to grow and improve.

• Fire 4

We do have a QB that fits MR's ideal mold. He has received high praise from many around the business. Not sure what you consider "high expectations" however it was stated that we were going to have a let down from 9-4 and I disagree - at no point was it stated that we were going to go 13-1 and he was going to be a first round pick. I think the expectation of him leading us to a season that will be within a game or two of 9-4 and showing true QB skills is very reasonable. Losses will occur and it won't be the end of the world, however If you look at things from a positive side with a chance of some upside you will have a better chance of seeing the sun rise each morning.

I am with you on that!

Count me in, too. I am more suspicious of the OL.

Possibly and 6 months from now we may be laughing at your post

Possibly and 6 months from now we may be laughing at your post

That very well could be true.

A 5 win season would be a disaster but it's not even remotely on my radar. A 10 win season is certainly possible but I don't expect that either. I expect progression through the season, no blowout losses, and in fact, some blowout wins. And then a strong recruiting finish. If that means 7 or 8 wins with a transition year defense then so be it.

My issue is that I don't think the OLine, QB play, and offensive playcalling have any excuse. This is year 3 with at least one QB capable of running the offense MR and DL want. If the OLine can't protect Lee and/or we see more of those facepalming playcalling decisions then I'm going to have a hard time defending the staff. Still optimistic that this will be a fun offense to watch but all this OLine talk is worrisome.

A 5 win season would be a disaster but it's not even remotely on my radar. A 10 win season is certainly possible but I don't expect that either. I expect progression through the season, no blowout losses, and in fact, some blowout wins. And then a strong recruiting finish. If that means 7 or 8 wins with a transition year defense then so be it.

My issue is that I don't think the OLine, QB play, and offensive playcalling have any excuse. This is year 3 with at least one QB capable of running the offense MR and DL want. If the OLine can't protect Lee and/or we see more of those facepalming playcalling decisions then I'm going to have a hard time defending the staff. Still optimistic that this will be a fun offense to watch but all this OLine talk is worrisome.

I am a self proclaimed optimist and I align alot with what you are saying about no excuses. Those of us who believe this staff is going to succeed are not blindly following these guys. I as well as others understand there are some things that need cleaned up and if we don't see that this year it is fair to question if Riley is right for NU. But I also think it is fair to give Riley this season to prove he can make those improvements. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
  • Plus1 1

Russell Wilson was pretty good at NC State actually. Their line was really bad though and they had no run game. Also he lost his job because he was thinking about going pro in baseball and the coach didn't like that.