ESPN predicts Nebraska’s 2017 season game by game

Its all based on their FPI rankings which places tons of ephasis on returning starters, especially QB's, and rectuiting rankings.

It is basically trying to predict how you are going to do off of last years results. Which can be an indicator, but not always a great one.

Recruiting Rankings? Like those things ESPN tries to do and fails miserably?

Are there any even average college football analysts left at ESPN. Just so you don't have to go googling for the answer, it's f#*k NO!!! That place is pretty much betting on NBA basketball to be their lifeblood. They are a bigger joke now because of the personalities they kept and how they are slanting their coverage to NBA and NFL basically being only 2 sports on earth.

Its all based on their FPI rankings which places tons of ephasis on returning starters, especially QB's, and rectuiting rankings.

It is basically trying to predict how you are going to do off of last years results. Which can be an indicator, but not always a great one.

Recruiting Rankings? Like those things ESPN tries to do and fails miserably?

Yeah their recruiting rankings that are considered the worst of the 4 major services. They did this last year and had PSU winning like 5 games and Oregon winning 8 I think. Using some metric like this to try and predict W-L before a season starts is really dumb IMO. It is just something to read in the off season. It has us talking about it.

• Fire 1

Nov. 4 – vs. Northwestern

Northwestern FPI Rank: 29

ESPN Prediction: Loss

Nebraska's chance of winning: 37.2 percent

We have a 37% chance of beating Northwestern?? In Lincoln?!? :blink:

Fortunately HB has an emoti for this type of tripe:

:espnsucks:

Well Northwestern has beaten Nebraska in Lincoln once before. Just saying.

I think ESPN has been predicting Nebraska to go 5-7 or 4-8 for the last 10 years at least.

At some point, they'll be exactly like a broken clock and just happen to be coincidentally right.

Not that I think that means it will happen again but I'm pretty sure Northwestern is a Hail Mary away from being undefeated in Lincoln.

• Fire 1

I think ESPN has been predicting Nebraska to go 5-7 or 4-8 for the last 10 years at least.

At some point, they'll be exactly like a broken clock and just happen to be coincidentally right.

Not that I think that means it will happen again but I'm pretty sure Northwestern is a Hail Mary away from being undefeated in Lincoln.

Let's just keep the discussion about Riley's tenure, don't you guys think?

I guess if it makes you feel better to say that Riley has never beaten Northwestern in Lincoln........ :dunno

Or that Riley and Callahan are the only Huskers coaches to ever go 5-7 in a (regular) season........ :dunno

• Fire 3

Since when has ESPN been reputed to be an 'expert' in any form or manner when it comes to college football prognistication? It would be interesting in seeing how many, if any, national champions they have accurately forecast before the season over the past 20 years or however long they have been a significant network player in the college football realm. Picking the national champion is probably easier than predicting the won/loss records of individual teams as there are realistcally only around 15 or so teams with a meaningfully high probability of winning it all. The odds of picking Alabama or Ohio State or one or two others being champs is fairly low while KU and Wake Forest or Wyoming are pretty low. My impression is that their 'talking heads' on the game day shows and other 'analysts' are often nearly clueless when it comes to having a deep understanding of the teams they discuss. There are far too many teams for any one person to really become a true expert although those who spend their full time energies engaging in the effort to be as well informed as possible have a great deal more information than the average joe fan. But, that is about it.

There is always something to be said for the 'collective wisdom' of the public at large but again, information is always limited. I always felt the so-called 'coaches poll' (historically U.P.I. as I recall - not sure what it is called today) was the more accurate but it is only opinion. The opinions of the coaches, who are paid to be the experts in college football as evidenced by the enormous salaris, ought to be weighed more heavily that the opinions of a handful of network types that are motivated by keeping their jobs which are much dependent on making their employer happey which of course is dependent on making its owners and paid advertisers happy -- ultimately giving rise to the supposed allegiance to the SEC and its membership. Just as one would tend to believe, reasonably, that BTN will have a bias towards its member teams and their relative status in the polls. None may be wrong but one has to weigh it all with a good degree of skepticism to say the least.

Remember the last time Nebraska had a transfer QB come in and start the season?

I guess if it makes you feel better to say that Riley has never beaten Northwestern in Lincoln........ :dunno

Or that Riley and Callahan are the only Huskers coaches to ever go 5-7 in a (regular) season........ :dunno

Not saying it's the same but....

Callahan 5-6 in his first year.

Riley 5-7 in his first year.

Callahan has some success immediately after

Riley has some success immediately after.

Callahan gets a highly touted D1 QB to transfer in.....goes 5-7

Riley gets a highly touted D1 QB to transer in.....goes ????

Hopefully Riley bucks that trend.

• Fire 1