[Poll/Discussion] Are you optimistic or pessimistic in regards to the 2017 season?

Optimism or pessimism?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Look, this is solely my opinion. Take it with all the skeptecism you want.

ADSE was brought in to change the image of NU football. The two options were: A) Gudie Bo Pelini's hand in changing for the media and building a winning and strong recruiting staff, or B) Fire Bo after X amount of time.

If option B came into play, here was the plan:

1- Fire Bo. Make announcement that on field results are important, conducting in a professional manner yadda yadda.

2- Hire the "Patsy". Find a coach that can recruit strony enough that his results are secondary in the grand scheme. Perhaps a guy in the twilight of his career. This coaches sole purpose is to change the face of the team to a more friendly one, and to give an injection into the talent pool.

3- After 3-4 years assess where this coach is at as far as results go. If he is winning the division, give him a little more time. If the boosters/fans are getting antsy and there is ample reason to release him, do it and make statement that "While we are headed in the right direction, we need to be competing at a top level now..."

4- Hire the long term solution. In this scenario, it's propably Scott Frost who noe conveniently has a year or two of actual experience under his belt. Makes the fans piss themselves with excitement and weathers a lot of the bad vibes left over from any disappointing seasons.

Granted this is a pretty drawn out conspiracy theory, but it just makes sense to me.

ADSE was brought in to change the image of NU football. The two options were: A) Gudie Bo Pelini's hand in changing for the media and building a winning and strong recruiting staff, or B) Fire Bo after X amount of time.

1- Fire Bo. Make announcement that on field results are important, conducting in a professional manner yadda yadda.

2- Hire the "Patsy". Find a coach that can recruit strony enough that his results are secondary in the grand scheme. Perhaps a guy in the twilight of his career. This coaches sole purpose is to change the face of the team to a more friendly one, and to give an injection into the talent pool.

3- After 3-4 years assess where this coach is at as far as results go. If he is winning the division, give him a little more time. If the boosters/fans are getting antsy and there is ample reason to release him, do it and make statement that "While we are headed in the right direction, we need to be competing at a top level now..."

4- Hire the long term solution. In this scenario, it's propably Scott Frost who noe conveniently has a year or two of actual experience under his belt. Makes the fans piss themselves with excitement and weathers a lot of the bad vibes left over from any disappointing seasons.

Granted this is a pretty drawn out conspiracy theory, but it just makes sense to me.

There's no reason for #2 to exist. This is Nebraska, not a mid-major.

• Fire 5

If you want believe this conspiracy theory, then fine. But it doesn't make much sense since AD's get fired for the football program not succeeding. You could make the exact same conspiracy theory but just replace the HC with the AD:

1- Fire Osborne. Make announcement that on field results are important, the HC conducting in a professional manner yadda yadda.
2- Hire the "Patsy". Find an AD that can hire strong enough that his results are secondary in the grand scheme. Perhaps a guy in the twilight of his career. This AD's sole purpose is to change the face of the program to a more friendly one, and to give an injection into the coaching pool.
3- After 3-4 years assess where this AD is at as far as results go. If the football team is winning the division, give him a little more time. If the boosters/fans are getting antsy and there is ample reason to release him, do it and make statement that "While we are headed in the right direction, we need to be competing at a top level now..."
4- Hire the long term solution. In this scenario, it's probably Trev Alberts who now conveniently has a few years of actual experience under his belt. Makes the fans piss themselves with excitement and weathers a lot of the bad vibes left over from any disappointing seasons.
  • Fire 1

This is Nebraska in a 20 year conference championship drought.

This is Nebraska in a 20 year conference championship drought.

Not to mention haven't finished a season in the top 10 since 2001. Most students on campus don't even remember that. There are many programs today with resources attempting to do the same thing, and there are no magical solutions.

Cautiously optimistic with Tanner Lee at QB. ..........

Yep, me too, cautiously optimistic especially the season hasn't started. The key thing, QB. Tanner Lee is semi-mobile guy ( :thumbs ) or Christian Hackenberg/Johnny Unitas type ???

RB, WR and maybe OL ..... slightly improved (hopefully)

Defense ..... probably the same. Diaco: wait and see

7 wins threshold = hot seat (MR)

Please, no repeat (Déjà vu) .......

Callahan 1st season: 5W-6L. Riley: 6W-7L. Both inherited winning coaches (Solich 10W-3L & Pelini 9W-4L)

2nd season; Callahan .... 8W-4L. Riley: 9W-4L

3rd season; Callahan .... 9W-5L. Riley: ???

After 4th season, Callahan was canned.

How does your theory account for the following factors:

1) Athletic directors have been fired for making poor hires in relation to an athletic department's premier sport

2) the person who hired Eichorst is no longer chancellor at UNL

Optimistic- Because that is more fun than being negative about the potential performances of a group of kids that are still learning how to be men. College football is fun unless you set certain benchmarks that have to be reached in your mind. I'm sure the negative Penn State fans were losing their mind after a 2-2 start last year... Let the season unfold and enjoy it people. GBR

• Fire 1

How does your theory account for the following factors:

1) Athletic directors have been fired for making poor hires in relation to an athletic department's premier sport

2) the person who hired Eichorst is no longer chancellor at UNL

1) Have been, yes. Always? No. Like I said, if this was part of a larger plan it's irrelevant. I don't think Riley's tenure will be regarded as a poor hire.

2) So what? That doesn't mean ADSE is automatically on thin ice. We have gotten too used to the two positions coinciding with eachother (HC/AD).

For once I'm pessimistic, but I think it's a self preservation aspect so I can be surprised if we do better than I think. Why? Nothing tells me we should be better than last year at this point.

1. New defense

2. "New" QB

3. No clear #1 RB or what's going on with that situation

4. Losing our #1 secondary guy to injury for the season

5. Lots of new players and not sure what their role is going to be

I could see us going 6-6 very easily.

1. Arkansas State-Win

2. Oregon-Loss

3. Northern Illinois-Win

4. Rutgers-Win

5. Illinois-Win

6. Wisconsin-Loss

7. Ohio State-Loss

8. Purdue-Win

9. Northwestern-Toss-up (We'll probably lose one of these games and win the other)

10. Minnesota-Toss-up (We'll probably lose one of these games and win the other)

11. Penn State-Loss

12. Iowa-Loss