Nebraska athletics not a fan of Fox Sports' "Children of the Corn" send-up

2 minutes ago, arkstfan said:

Playing devils advocate

What is better for recruiting?
Oh, yeah Lincoln is exactly like I thought it would be

or

Wow Lincoln was so nice much more than I expected.

I think the fact that this commercial promotes Nebraska Football as being bad-ass is good for recruiting.  I mean, it's a 30-second promo that's attention-grabbing.  Let's not over think it.

• Plus1 4

It's ok, it's just a horror like commercial, Michigan's was some chase through the woods. From an outsiders perspective it's just an advert, it would have been no different if it was made in a desert or a town, it's the overall vibe that matters. Huskers are scary and you sacrifice your life to play the game, pretty powerful actually. It may reinforce the corn in the corn huskers, but corn is not exactly something bad and people already know there is a bit of it in Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, STL Husker said:

Lincoln can be better than expected without making it seem like it's in the middle of cornfields.  Your comparison is a little insulting

It is a bit in the middle of cornfields.  I literally have a cornfield (well, beans this year) behind my house. 

Did you mean to say "insulting?" I'm almost positive he didn't mean it to be an insult. 

Just now, knapplc said:

It is a bit in the middle of cornfields.  I literally have a cornfield (well, beans this year) behind my house. 

Did you mean to say "insulting?" I'm almost positive he didn't mean it to be an insult. 

Well I guess I meant to say Lincoln isn't just cornfields.  When I had friends come visit me while I was at school every one of them was surprised by how big of a city it really is.  I don't think anyone expects it to have a downtown area with buildings more than 5 stories.  Maybe insulting wasn't the best word and I was probably digging too deep on that anyway.  

• Plus1 1

https://www.instagram.com/cfbonfox/

All the promos are on this Instagram page.  I don't know how to post the video here, though.  Maybe someone else can.

Michigan's is similar to ours, like a Horror (as stated above)

Minnesota's is probably my favorite.  Using the Fargo movie vs "Minnesota Nice".

Ohio State/Iowa/Wisconsin are pretty good, too.

Some are kinda lame, but how can you make Northwestern/Purdue seem intimidating anyway?

*edit: Maryland's is my second-favorite.  It's about Maryland's flag being ugly.

• Plus1 2

30 minutes ago, IA State Husker said:

https://www.instagram.com/cfbonfox/

All the promos are on this Instagram page.  I don't know how to post the video here, though.  Maybe someone else can.

Michigan's is similar to ours, like a Horror (as stated above)

Minnesota's is probably my favorite.  Using the Fargo movie vs "Minnesota Nice".

Ohio State/Iowa/Wisconsin are pretty good, too.

Some are kinda lame, but how can you make Northwestern/Purdue seem intimidating anyway?

*edit: Maryland's is my second-favorite.  It's about Maryland's flag being ugly.

"They put your tailback through a wood chipper" :D

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, El Diaco said:

I'd be interested to hear the better ideas some may have.

First idea I came up with in 30 seconds would play off the sea of red. Suffocating, drowning, no hope for rescue. Every direction you look, red as far as you can see. Blood in the water. Nobody can hear your screams. You lose your sense of direction, you forget your purpose as you're assaulted by the waves. You're scared. This is the end for you. yadda yadda.

I think that's a pretty decent idea, and since FS1 paid an ad agency thousands and thousands of dollars for people to spend a lot more time coming up with stuff a lot better, color me disappointed in the final product :P

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Landlord of Memorial Stadium said:

First idea I came up with in 30 seconds would play off the sea of red. Suffocating, drowning, no hope for rescue. Every direction you look, red as far as you can see. Blood in the water. Nobody can hear your screams. You lose your sense of direction, you forget your purpose as you're assaulted by the waves. You're scared. This is the end for you. yadda yadda.

I think that's a pretty decent idea, and since FS1 paid an ad agency thousands and thousands of dollars for people to spend a lot more time coming up with stuff a lot better, color me disappointed in the final product :P

That is a pretty good idea. Sell it to them...

But I still also like the Children of the Corn  :P

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Landlord of Memorial Stadium said:

I like the idea of the Sea of Red, but ESPN used a Red Ocean Tide (for Alabama) in a college football commercial within the past couple of years.

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I like the idea of the Sea of Red, but ESPN used a Red Ocean Tide (for Alabama) in a college football commercial within the past couple of years.

and the Penn State one is basically a sea of white theme...

Watched them all and I would say ours is one of the best. Michigan and Minnesota were also pretty good and Wiscy and Iowa weren't terrible. The rest were pretty meh.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, arkstfan said:

Playing devils advocate

What is better for recruiting?
Oh, yeah Lincoln is exactly like I thought it would be

or

Wow Lincoln was so nice much more than I expected.

Or....there is nothing there but cornfields so im not even gonna give it a chance.

5 hours ago, STL Husker said:

Lincoln can be better than expected without making it seem like it's in the middle of cornfields.  Your comparison is a little insulting

I can't stop you from being insulted if that is your take so be it, you'd fit right in here in Arkansas where the they don't know and love us insecurity is also present. 

Fox is not making a recruiting video, isn't trying to sell tickets, they are trying to convince average Americans to watch telecasts involving Nebraska, they don't have to sell Cornhusker football on TV to Cornhusker fans, they are watching no matter what. The target is someone in Florida or California who isn't a Nebraska fan.

• Plus1 3