What did we learn-Game 1 Arky State

JJ Husker

10 hours ago, Landlord said:

It's weird though, because all of those were 9-10 win teams, but people think that this is somehow an indicator of an inevitable 5 win season. Why are so many so eager to declare failure? I guess I just don't get it. We could just wait to see how many games they win and which games they'll win instead of trying to decide it for them beforehand.

2015 says hi

• Plus1 2

I learned:
1. Lee seems to be the real-deal at QB. Not perfect, but pretty damn good. Threw a few risky balls, though.
2. The O-line did a reasonably good job protecting the QB against a team who feels that D-line is their strong suit. Outside of a blown assignment resulting in a sack, Lee was usually able to get the ball off in time.

3. Our receivers showed flashes - was encouraging to see the young guys contribute, even if it was out of necessity. Hopefully Hoppes (TE) can keep it up. Aside: Was it just me or did Stanley Morgan get hurt towards the end? Seemed to be favoring his wrist or hand.
4. It was nice to see that the running game showed up.

5. Our D did a decent job against the run.

6. Our pass defense was extremely soft on the short game. We will be destroyed down the road if this is allowed to continue.

7. Our pass D wasn't challenged very much deep, but I assume that was just because the short game was working for AkS.

I learned tanner lee might be pretty good QB 

I learned our RB has more moves then AA had. Exciting runner and will be fun to watch over the next year. 

I learned I could do a better job at being the D cord. Numerous times arky st O cord out smarted diaco on simple plays 

I learned our D line is atrocious. 

I learned we need new music for the tunnel walk. 

I learned the that an off lineman can knock the qb down and the D will get a late hit call. 

It's 2017 and it seems I'm watching 2014, 2015, 2016 nebarsaka football in 2017.  Why is this ? 

I don't know how much I "learned" about anything - have to see if things become a trend or not.  But here are some observations:

What I liked:

• Props to Langsdorf for the mix of plays.  Crazy how you can actually make yards with the rushing game if you don't run it right up the center's butt most of the time.  I liked the design of the plays we called and the mix much better than previously.
  • I thought Gifford had a good game.  Had some nice hits and stops.
  • Great game by Kalu.  That pick was crazy-good.
  • Loved some life in our special teams.  Spielman kicks down the door.  Punt game was very good overall (TD was more of a fluke with a long punt and fumble)
  • Had some rotation in the OL.  Apparently all the "no one rotates OL" was all for not.

What I didn't like:

• No idea why we insist on putting our defense in bad spots.  There's a difference between vanilla and dumb.
  • They threw for over 400 yards without really testing our corners, at least one of which didn't seem to be shaky at best.
  • WAAAYY too many mis-communications on the OLine.  Don't know how you can have no one even try to block a guy in B gap.
  • Didn't really ever see Lee work through a progression
  • Clock management was poor
  • We should get more pressure against a team that throws that many times.  The concept of putting better pass rusher on the field in passing situations is nice but I don't get why we have to telegraph where we're lining up.
  • Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I don't know how much I "learned" about anything - have to see if things become a trend or not.  But here are some observations:

What I liked:

• Props to Langsdorf for the mix of plays.  Crazy how you can actually make yards with the rushing game if you don't run it right up the center's butt most of the time.  I liked the design of the plays we called and the mix much better than previously.
  • I thought Gifford had a good game.  Had some nice hits and stops.
  • Great game by Kalu.  That pick was crazy-good.
  • Loved some life in our special teams.  Spielman kicks down the door.  Punt game was very good overall (TD was more of a fluke with a long punt and fumble)
  • Had some rotation in the OL.  Apparently all the "no one rotates OL" was all for not.

What I didn't like:

• No idea why we insist on putting our defense in bad spots.  There's a difference between vanilla and dumb.
  • They threw for over 400 yards without really testing our corners, at least one of which didn't seem to be shaky at best.
  • WAAAYY too many mis-communications on the OLine.  Don't know how you can have no one even try to block a guy in B gap.
  • Didn't really ever see Lee work through a progression
  • Clock management was poor
  • We should get more pressure against a team that throws that many times.  The concept of putting better pass rusher on the field in passing situations is nice but I don't get why we have to telegraph where we're lining up.

I noticed this too but chalked it up to pre snap reads

Lots of good points being mentioned. Here are a couple more worth bringing up regarding the defense. 

• Special teams gave away 7 points.
  • Offense gave away 2 points  because of the safety.
  • The bogus roughing the passer call was unbelievable.
  • I saw  two obvious holding calls against our defense that were never called. 
  • Defense didn't seem to give up fighting despite the bleeding.

I'm not trying to defend  the defense. I saw the game with my own two eyes. Still 9 points were handed to them from special teams/offense. We would all have a little less angst if that didn't happen. Next week will tell us a lot. Diaco better have them ready to play. 

• Plus1 1

What I learned is that folks need to chill out, and we are still in position to win EVERY GAME ON OUR SCHEDULE.  This was the first game against a team that was decent regardless of their name.  A team that went 8-5 last year.  A team that thumped Troy, who last year came within 6 of beating Clemson.  Yes, we have things to work on, but so does every other team.  At times the offense looked stellar. There was a guy on that D-line that will get drafted and there was hardly any mention of him.  Of course I would like to see Langs run the ball more when up late, but I can't fault him for his aggressive playcalling.

Folks need to realize that was the first time any of the defensive staff coached together, and there were definitely communication issues with the defense.  That is something that can get shored up, and I fully expect it to be. 

From what I saw the defense had superior athletes to Ark State., and Deontrae Thomas is going to be a beast. Lamar Jackson redeemed himself in my eyes last night and Kalu played a good second half.  The D-line was playing extremely well, and getting a moderate pressure with just a three man front.  

***Side Note- No one should fault Diaco for not wanting to speak after the game.  If the name demands perfection regardless of the circumstances he should feel ashamed, and use that energy to get better for next week.

1.  We were plus 2 in turnover margin with QB making his first start for N.  Zero turnovers on a night a new QB passed the ball 32 times and we ran the ball 38 times.

2.  A punting game like last night can decide close games later this season.

3. We showed explosive big play capability on the ground and through the air.  That's a defenses worst nightmare. 

4.  We showed we can pound the rock, have a go to back, and capable backups. 

5.  Lee showed composure, accuracy, good decision making, and that he can lead this offense and get all the playmakers around him involved.

6.  FG's 2 for 2

7.  D playing new positions and scheme, generated 2 important turnovers.  In 82 plays defended, allowed just one to go for more than 30 yards.  I think aTm gave up 10 times that many in the 2nd half tonight. 

8.  I learned Husker football in 2017 is off to an exciting start. If you weren't entertained by that game, maybe you've forgot how to enjoy them one week at a time and not worry about the future implications of every single play.  We WON.

• Plus1 4
19 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

1.  We were plus 2 in turnover margin with QB making his first start for N.  Zero turnovers on a night a new QB passed the ball 32 times and we ran the ball 38 times.

2.  A punting game like last night can decide close games later this season.

3. We showed explosive big play capability on the ground and through the air.  That's a defenses worst nightmare. 

4.  We showed we can pound the rock, have a go to back, and capable backups. 

5.  Lee showed composure, accuracy, good decision making, and that he can lead this offense and get all the playmakers around him involved.

6.  FG's 2 for 2

7.  D playing new positions and scheme, generated 2 important turnovers.  In 82 plays defended, allowed just one to go for more than 30 yards.  I think aTm gave up 10 times that many in the 2nd half tonight. 

8.  I learned Husker football in 2017 is off to an exciting start. If you weren't entertained by that game, maybe you've forgot how to enjoy them one week at a time and not worry about the future implications of every single play.  We WON.

I think most are not all that upset by the offense and will give it some time to get to running on all eight cylinders, but the glaring lack of success on the defense was beyond alarming!  Yes, the defense didn't give up the punt return TD nor the safety.   But the defense gave up nearly 500 yards of offense which is at least 150 too many and to a team that at best can be compared to the weakest in the Big Ten (which may be the Huskers as we played well enough to lose deservedly).  I honestly have to say that in this game, the best team lost.  That is the most disconcerting thing of all.    Ark State walked out of ourt stadium heads held high and proud while our guys should have felt exactly the opposite.   

Thanks God for the good punts and field goals and all but one kick off.  But we had way too many penalties and miscues.  Those can be chalked up to first game mistakes except that we had a full week of extra practice and we were at home.  The mistakes and miscues continued well into the second half.  The jitters and deer in headlights looks were well over with by then too.   We played very few guys whose names were unfamiliar and would simply be not ready for prime time player status.   '

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I think most are not all that upset by the offense and will give it some time to get to running on all eight cylinders, but the glaring lack of success on the defense was beyond alarming!  Yes, the defense didn't give up the punt return TD nor the safety.   But the defense gave up nearly 500 yards of offense which is at least 150 too many and to a team that at best can be compared to the weakest in the Big Ten (which may be the Huskers as we played well enough to lose deservedly).  I honestly have to say that in this game, the best team lost.  That is the most disconcerting thing of all.    Ark State walked out of ourt stadium heads held high and proud while our guys should have felt exactly the opposite.   

Thanks God for the good punts and field goals and all but one kick off.  But we had way too many penalties and miscues.  Those can be chalked up to first game mistakes except that we had a full week of extra practice and we were at home.  The mistakes and miscues continued well into the second half.  The jitters and deer in headlights looks were well over with by then too.   We played very few guys whose names were unfamiliar and would simply be not ready for prime time player status.   '

I think there are 2-3 teams in the Big Ten Arky State could beat.