5 Reasons we beat Oregon

Hilltop

1This game has loomed large for a couple years now and it still does.  If by some chance (we do have a chance, maybe 20% I'd guess), then it will sure change the prospects for the season.  If we win tomorrow, we will then have several games with decent odds of continuing to win.  This will buy us time to develop our young guys and gain some more confidence and find ways to fine tune, improve execution, blend in some new wrinkles, etc.  All of this assumes we can stay healthy which is a definate MUST BE in order to have a successful season.

On the other hand, should the team fall apart or the game get really ugly, then thee apparent confidence and positive focus that has been oft mentioned as a real positive development for the Huskers this fall, will likely evaporate.  The season will likely go as this game goes in other words.  Notwithstanding it is a non conference (some like to call them preseason but in college, every game is a playoff type game  that either enables the team to remain in the hunt for a prize at the end or not.  An early season loss, not a debacle, won't hurt in the Big Ten race, except in the most important way I mention above (confidence and unity and focus).   Go Huskers and say an extra prayer tonight and several tomorrow and always remember that God is a Husker fan too

14 hours ago, brophog said:

I like honesty, myself. Optimism isn't really all that healthy, life doesn't tend to fit the optimistic view point, and we can end up just disappointed and sad as a result.

If you're honest with your expectations, though, you find the effects you were looking for in the optimistic approach!

377fb6a4b24ccd66abb74784f74959e8.jpg

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, girlknowsfootball said:

According to social media, it looks like about 20,000 fans made the trip to Eugene. That means around 1/3 of their stadium will be our fans. I can't imagine it can be that loud for them with only 35,000 to 45,000 Oregon fans there. 

20,000 might be there, but that doesn't mean they will all be at the game.  It depends on if Oregon fans sell their tickets like the Notre Dame fans did in 2000.

10 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

If by some chance (we do have a chance, maybe 20% I'd guess), then it will sure change the prospects for the season.

I think their chances are much better than 20%. I'm dubious of that point spread, to say the least.

I also think this is a game that can give a false positive. Certainly winning is better than losing, but Oregon at this point is the very definition of a paper tiger. Coming off a bad season, new staff, and not a great performance in their opener, despite some very gaudy stats. It's very easy to pump them up to more than they probably are at this point. I saw a lot of issues in their opener that had nothing to do with their opponent. Its hard to say where Oregon really ranks given so little real data, but the Big 10 is off to a pretty good start, and we'll probably see at least a handful of games tougher than this one.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

1This game has loomed large for a couple years now and it still does.  If by some chance (we do have a chance, maybe 20% I'd guess), then it will sure change the prospects for the season.  If we win tomorrow, we will then have several games with decent odds of continuing to win.  This will buy us time to develop our young guys and gain some more confidence and find ways to fine tune, improve execution, blend in some new wrinkles, etc.  All of this assumes we can stay healthy which is a definate MUST BE in order to have a successful season.

On the other hand, should the team fall apart or the game get really ugly, then thee apparent confidence and positive focus that has been oft mentioned as a real positive development for the Huskers this fall, will likely evaporate.  The season will likely go as this game goes in other words.  Notwithstanding it is a non conference (some like to call them preseason but in college, every game is a playoff type game  that either enables the team to remain in the hunt for a prize at the end or not.  An early season loss, not a debacle, won't hurt in the Big Ten race, except in the most important way I mention above (confidence and unity and focus).   Go Huskers and say an extra prayer tonight and several tomorrow and always remember that God is a Husker fan too

delete

Regardless of who you play 77 points is a lot. At the same time giving up 21 points in the 1st half isn't impressive against Southern Utah. 42-21 was the half time score, and then the wheels came off. 

Their offensive line is suspect, but their RBs are lethal. Their QB throws a good ball but can't take off and run like previous Oregon QBs. I expect this to be a good overall game.

6 hours ago, Football Guy Bob said:

20,000 might be there, but that doesn't mean they will all be at the game.  It depends on if Oregon fans sell their tickets like the Notre Dame fans did in 2000.

Don't forget that in 2000, there weren't really any online ticket sales. There's a decent number available on SeatGeek at the moment. As of this writing, there's seats along the 50yd line available for $30. https://seatgeek.com/nebraska-cornhuskers-at-oregon-ducks-football-tickets/ncaa-football/2017-09-09-1-30-pm/3658373

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I was very surprised by who your love was, and then I wondered how I missed it.

I laugh at all his jokes and he seems to get it on with 20 year-olds in every village he traveled to (i.e. although I'm 30 years younger than him he has the *it* factor with the ladies).

Also I touched his knee in the Stone of Tear.