Fire Cavanaugh

4 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

+1 for this.

If Lee doesn't start taking care of the ball Patrick or Tristan might get a shot. It doesn't matter if you shine brighter than the sun in practice, or how pretty a ball you throw, if you consistently make bad decisions you will end up riding the pine sooner rather than later. 

this was my concern from the start with Lee........he may have a great arm, but he needs field presence and good decision making, forced the ball into coverage way to much!

Lee's throwing a lot of his balls high. Maybe that's a technique thing, maybe he needs to get in his groove more. The last INT of course, he was hit as he threw. The first one was bobbled up into the air. Hard to do much about that. The others...well, we were getting steamrolled.

Guy has the goods though. Remember that throw that Stanley nearly pulled in, almost double covered but fit into a tight window on the sideline. I love that our QB can rope the football like this. He's going to get sharper as the year progresses. Go Tanner!

--

@The Dude, I respectfully disagree about the QB spot. I look at a guy that battled the team back from an absurd deficit. The confounding thing with stats is that they usually reflect the way the game goes. This was a 42-14 first half kind of day. 

7 minutes ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

I would argue 3 of Lee's interceptions were flukes/not all his fault, one bounced off Morgans facemask, one bounced off of our tight ends hands, and another he got hit right as he was releasing it.

Yep.

Must be said, however, that he also made some bad throws and bad decisions.  I'd give him a couple more games to see if he settles down.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

Two of Lee's interceptions were because of immediate pressure. There were at least three times where you saw guys up front entirely miss a blitz pick up from a lack of communication to adjust. We saw a lot of the same from the Arkansas State game. 

Correct.

The two times you are referencing are a RB not even attempting pass pro, and a TE who got blown backwards 5 yards. 

Neither of them are offensive linemen..? 

2 hours ago, zoogs said:

Lee's throwing a lot of his balls high. Maybe that's a technique thing, maybe he needs to get in his groove more. The last INT of course, he was hit as he threw. The first one was bobbled up into the air. Hard to do much about that. The others...well, we were getting steamrolled.

Guy has the goods though. Remember that throw that Stanley nearly pulled in, almost double covered but fit into a tight window on the sideline. I love that our QB can rope the football like this. He's going to get sharper as the year progresses. Go Tanner!

--

@The Dude, I respectfully disagree about the QB spot. I look at a guy that battled the team back from an absurd deficit. The confounding thing with stats is that they usually reflect the way the game goes. This was a 42-14 first half kind of day. 

Lees numbers are not a function of the first half. In the second half when the defense kept giving us the ball back, he went something like 0 for 12 in a row. And many of those were easy throws on crossing routes or when guys were wide open. 

You mention him throwing high. Usually happens when you are tight or anxious. He needs to develop some poise. 

For the record Im not advocating benching him as I think he is probably our best option and I find it hard to believe the coaches who watch the QB everyday are missing something with the backups. But we can't sit here and ignore the very obvious problems he has working through his progressions and missing easy throws. The stats are a very accurate depiction of his game today with the exception of two of his INT not really being his fault

The O-line played ok, especially in the run game.  I don't know who to blame when Leavitt started sending blitzes after Lee and the combo of the o-line, TE's, and RB's fail to make the blocks.  Before the season, I figured Lee would struggle as an immobile QB.  He was a sitting duck (no pun intended) back there and it cost NU in the biggest moment of the game.