The ONE thing that made you shake your head

teachercd

Smh while at the game as I watch guys in coverage looking left and right trying to find someone to "cover" as guys are running in and out of their zones uncovered.  Continue shaking my head as we leave the fastest guys in single coverage, but don't bring any form of pressure to the QB. Shaking my head even more everytime I watch Newby line up in the C gap field side, but neither be in position to cover a receiver or provide quick run support.

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, El Diaco said:

Well in fairness, that was going on with Pelini and Beck also. And it's a bit tough to criticize them for running less yesterday, especially in the 2nd half. We lost Tre to injury and it is a little obvious that he is better than Wilbon or the yet to be seen Ozigbo. Good clock management would dictate getting a little pass happy when you're down by 28 points and have shown no sign of slowing down the other teams offense. I don't fault them for throwing it around the yard in those circumstances.

T true (It was happening during the Bo days) I just hate to see passing when we are moving the ball. I get passing the ball after Tre got hurt, but it was happening before that too.  Why begin the game with a pass when we have Tre? It's just frustrating. (I was thinking of the first half-we almost had to pass every time in the 2nd half to try to catch up.) I think I just miss old smash mouth Nebraska football, you know?

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedN said:

The penalty by Demorney Pierson-El when he was lined up offside and played no role other then to cost us a first down. 

That's on Lee and Langsdorf. Lee needs to wait and make sure all the guys are set before calling for the ball to be snapped, and Langsdorf shouldn't be using a play with 3 guys in motion to run a QB sneak. Just spread out the D, go on a silent count, and have the QB pick a side where the sneak is going to go. 

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

T true (It was happening during the Bo days) I just hate to see passing when we are moving the ball. I get passing the ball after Tre got hurt, but it was happening before that too.  Why begin the game with a pass when we have Tre? It's just frustrating. (I was thinking of the first half-we almost had to pass every time in the 2nd half to try to catch up.) I think I just miss old smash mouth Nebraska football, you know?

Oh yes I agree. If there is one thing that has made me shake my head for the last many years it is the offensive play calling. And much of my dismay is because we haven't been able to ram the ball down people's throats like we used to. I understand mixing it up some so as not to be too predictable but I'm also a firm believer in making the other team stop you before you change it up too much. All too often we move away from what has been working prematurely.

1 hour ago, El Diaco said:

Oh yes I agree. If there is one thing that has made me shake my head for the last many years it is the offensive play calling. And much of my dismay is because we haven't been able to ram the ball down people's throats like we used to. I understand mixing it up some so as not to be too predictable but I'm also a firm believer in making the other team stop you before you change it up too much. All too often we move away from what has been working prematurely.

Exactly. It's funny that we're discussing this topic as Coach Langs told the media that he didn't want to pass so much but when they were down as much as they were they had to (as you had suggested). Yeah, I'm so glad I was able to witness those golden years. They sure were fun!

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Spooky Tooth said:

Gonna piggyback on this. Why aren't we even pretending to set up a return on punts?

It's kind of hard to set up returns when the other team is punting from midfield. I don't know why DPE called fair catch on the last one as I thought he had a chance for a decent return