***Nebraska Athletic Director Search Megathread***

Enhance

6 minutes ago, Chumpy34 said:

From someone who hasn't lived in Nebraska for a number of years but is still a HUGE fan, can someone enlighten me on why people don't like Trev Alberts or think he would be bad for this position?  Has he done well at UNO?

This article is worth the read from Shatel and talks about Alberts at length. Why Alberts might be appealing (there's more in the article):

Alberts would be a feel-good move, a comfort hire for a lot of Husker fans. Former Husker Jason Peter posted a photo of Alberts chasing Charlie Ward in the Orange Bowl on Twitter and the message was clear: Here’s a guy who sacrificed his body for the Husker Way.

Alberts, who did not immediately return phone calls from The World-Herald on Thursday, is an intriguing guy. He’s done a terrific job at UNO, with some bumps. It hasn’t been perfect. But it’s been just what UNO needed: an identity in the market.

Don’t even start with the “he dropped football” retort.  UNO football was a jewel in this community, but it was about to be overwhelmed in a rapidly changing city. Much like horse racing at Ak-sar-ben. I’ve said this before. Some of you disagree. We know the drill.

Alberts came into the job cold in 2009 — a job that had devoured most every A.D. before him. He showed a lot of guts, instinct and vision. He checks the fund-raising box, or haven’t you seen Baxter Arena?

Why he might be a risk (also more in the article):

Bringing back “The Nebraska Way” conjures great images. There are some parts of The Formula that Alberts knows from the ’90s that are timeless: practice habits, physical play, fundamentals and leadership. But, again, the world is a different place in 2017. Facilities and strength palaces and TV appearances are everywhere.

It wouldn’t hurt to look at it through a different prism. A different way — a winning way, a proven way.

The Nebraska Way has produced mixed results. As A.D.s, Steve Pederson and Osborne made football hires (Bill Callahan and Bo Pelini) that ultimately weren’t good fits and didn’t produce championship cultures. Pederson turned out to be an anti-Nebraska guy in many ways.

That doesn’t mean Alberts would be Pederson. It just means being a Nebraska Guy isn’t automatic.

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, Chumpy34 said:

From someone who hasn't lived in Nebraska for a number of years but is still a HUGE fan, can someone enlighten me on why people don't like Trev Alberts or think he would be bad for this position?  Has he done well at UNO?

There's a lot of posts about how he's done wrong by UNO fans/alum and links to articles. 

26 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

There's a lot of posts about how he's done wrong by UNO fans/alum and links to articles. 

I did 140+ hours at UN-L back in the day, but finished my degree at UN-O a few years back,...finally.  Lots and lots of vinegar about dropping the football program "when we could probably beat the Huskers this year"....etc.  In other words, he made tough decisions, necessary decisions, that many didn't like.  At least that is my take.

19 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

I think that's a kind description but I can see your point.  He never had a losing record.  Won around 9 games per year.  Never moved the program forward however and then there were his antics.  

Bo did some good things. He initially brought a lot of renewed optimism that we could compete and he brought the program back to a consistent winner. 

I didn't have a problem with his dismissal nor was I over the top in favor of it. I think overall the program would be in better shape now if he had stayed on though. 

I also think that he may he may have had some legitimate points about SE that are now being exposed. 

Its too bad he's an a-hole

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

I'm sure that's correct. 

But considering they said they're hiring a search firm yesterday, I don't see any way they are on the road to do interviews already.

I heard the CSU AD rumor on Sirius today as well. Can't remember who mentioned it. May have been Callahan but I'm not sure. Stewart and Del Conte also mentioned so it seems the same names keep popping up

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

I agree.

Alberts is a good candidate, but he's not a great candidate. He really shouldn't even be their focus right now. I agree with what one writer put it as earlier - he's a Plan B hire. The first two priorities for the next athletic director should be:

1) The proven ability make a strong football hire and history of operating a successful college football program

2) The ability connect with boosters, fans, players and coaches while simultaneously respecting Nebraska's culture and tradition

At some point, Nebraska is going to have to learn to win without the glory days coaches/players.

Agree 100%. Shoot for the moon here. Alberts isn't going anywhere. He's a great plan B but I would take Del Conte or Parker over him without a second thought

• Plus1 2

Alberts is the equivalent of the small town hot chick/high school girlfriend.  She's always going to be there and you could probably be pretty happy with her if you married her.  But everytime you go on vacation/once you go away to college you just start looking around going, 'damn'.  I've done executive level search recruiting in the past, Trev Alberts is what we call the comparison candidate.  He's the guy who use to seal the deal on the candidate that you really want.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, gorp512 said:

If an AD position was open at another big time school, is Alberts a candidate there? If not, he shouldn't be for NU. 

This is so true - i have heard that the NU tie is only the frosting not the cake.  If you have a 3 or 2 way tie you take the NU guy every time, however if he is the guy that can barely get his head into the room there is no reason to give him the keys.

Why do people go to college? To get a degree and develop a network to get themselves a career. So everyone up in arms that these Nebraska guys are only getting considered for the job at Nebraska because they are Nebraska guys well yes, it makes complete sense. They went to school at UNL, got a degree from UNL, built a network at UNL, guess what? That is one of the major reasons people go to college. So I have no problem if there are three candidates for the job and one of the candidates went to Nebraska and the other two didn't and the guy who went to Nebraska gets the job.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

TREV ALBERTS is the only one with the passion for husker football and athletics. He understands the fans and wants the Huskers back on top. No person outside this state of Nebraska has a vested interest in our success. 

That sure does limit the scope of the search if being Alma mater is the most important criteria.  There are many things that inspire leadership and roots is only one of those things. So Joe Castiglione as AD with Nick Saban as HC would not be as desirable as Alberts and Frost?  

• Plus1 1