Rimington named Interim AD

1 hour ago, Toe said:

60 days would put the maximum end date at Thanksgiving weekend. So it's pretty safe to say we should have a permanent AD in place by the end of the regular season if Riley is to be axed by then. (I guess theoretically Rimington could can Riley on his last day, lol.)

The 60 day window being announced today is interesting. Black Friday is 59 days from today, and Riley gets the pink slip on day 60. 

The permanent AD needs to already be in place by then with a vetted list of coaching candidates. 

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

WOW...>Dave Remington is 58 years old.

I'm getting gold.

When I was at UNL I would run into Remington on my way to a business class about twice a week. He must've been a senior and it must've been my freshman year cuz I'm only 54. But man he was wide....and that neck.....

1 minute ago, El Diaco said:

When I was at UNL I would run into Remington on my way to a business class about twice a week. He must've been a senior and it must've been my freshman year cuz I'm only 54. But man he was wide....and that neck.....

The President at a local bank I do business with was drafted the same year as Rimington. They participated in some camp together (Bank prez was a LB). He said he is still the "biggest man I've ever seen".

I guess I am not sure why so many would question Eply's opinion and judgment about the talent level of the team and its general direction.  Of course he will not be bashing his current boss but on the other hand, he can always offer no comments and avoid any mention of the subject one way or the other if he didn't believe otherwise.  

I think the team, as a whole, looks more athletic and is certainly in better physical shape, although we have a long way to go to get back to the future.  Our players don't look over weight and poorly conditioned.  However, all that being said, I still don't think we are getting them in the kind of top shape and strength and conditioning needed to produce the kind of team we all want.  We have seen too many guys having cramps, getting tire, etc in the first 4 games when three of four were home, in rather below normal heat, etc.  Early in the season, we should be in much better shape that this.  

Talent of the fresmen and sophs are a notch or two better than we've had -overall - in my view.  Spiehlman and tyjon are certainly better athletes than Westercamp in my camp, as examples.  I think our younger LBs and secondary guys look to be more athletic and stronger.  Not so sure we can say much on the linement although we are seeing a frosh play DT, for example.  That is a rare thing really.  

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The President at a local bank I do business with was drafted the same year as Rimington. They participated in some camp together (Bank prez was a LB). He said he is still the "biggest man I've ever seen".

Yeah, I really don't know how to describe his body presence. I'd say he was a chunk but that conotates fat and that he wasn't. He was just extremely wide from any angle. Odd body type but perfect for an offensive center I guess. I don't recall him being very tall. Kind of a ripped sumo wrestler type :lol:

2 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

If you listen to all of what Eply said, he said MR has a good plan in place, talent level has improved over the last 3 years, depth still need to be brought up, team strength is improving, and finally said we should let MR have the time to fit the right talent for his system. 

I hold Eply's opinion and first hand knowledge in high regard. Do you have a good reason why we shouldn't take him at his word?

While it's ok to listen to his opinion, it's just one opinion.  I think the bigger question is whether the pro-style system will work at Nebraska.  As was hashed out in another thread discussing the talent level required for a pro-level system, those teams that have implemented it well have consistently brought in top 5 or top 10 recruiting classes.  We are still a long ways away from having those types of classes, and I don't want to give Riley too much time for a system that we don't even know will work.  

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I guess I am not sure why so many would question Eply's opinion and judgment about the talent level of the team and its general direction.  Of course he will not be bashing his current boss

Epley works for the whole athletic department, not football. He's an assistant AD.

3 hours ago, bnilhome said:

While it's ok to listen to his opinion, it's just one opinion.  I think the bigger question is whether the pro-style system will work at Nebraska.  As was hashed out in another thread discussing the talent level required for a pro-level system, those teams that have implemented it well have consistently brought in top 5 or top 10 recruiting classes.  We are still a long ways away from having those types of classes, and I don't want to give Riley too much time for a system that we don't even know will work.  

I wish I could locate it again, but I don't remember where I saw it.  There was something I read a while back showing several seasons under MR where he produced thousand plus yard rushers.  I think 3 or 4 of his OSU backs rank top 15 all time in the Pac 12 conference for rushing yards.  Several of his QB's were conference passing leaders, I think one is THE all time record holder, and his offense also produced several WR's who made NFL rosters.  Two won Bilitnikof awards for nations best college receiver.  He did that with recruiting classes ranked in the 40's.  He can do a lot better here and has so far in recruiting.

We know Nebraska can attract and recruit great O-linemen and running backs.  MR has now shown we can also attract top WR's and Pro-style QB's as well.  The downside to his system is getting the QB past the thinking stage and to the subconscious read and react stage.  I think the first three games this year leaned heavily on the pass for the primary reason of getting Lee live game rep experience to help accelerate his command of the offense and get him closer to the read and react stage.  MR's history shows he likes to and will run the ball and when teams respect his QB's effectiveness there's not much they can do to stop the run without giving up big plays in the passing game.  A little better play from the line, the WR's and Lee and we are right there with the backs we have.

I understand your concern, however I really don't think we are all that far away from seeing a prolific offense take shape.  One that can produce rushing leaders, passing leaders, and reception leaders.  Several pieces are in place, game experience and learning are the final steps needed before it can blast off.  There's no teacher like experience and that does take some time.  

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

I wish I could locate it again, but I don't remember where I saw it.  There was something I read a while back showing several seasons under MR where he produced thousand plus yard rushers.  I think 3 or 4 of his OSU backs rank top 15 all time in the Pac 12 conference for rushing yards.  Several of his QB's were conference passing leaders, I think one is THE all time record holder, and his offense also produced several WR's who made NFL rosters. 

Oregon State doesn't have a RB in the top 20 for single season rushing. Interestingly enough OSU does have a RB 3rd in career rushing...but that was while Riley was in the NFL. Otherwise his top RB's come in at 13th, 14th, and 18th for career yardage. Mannion did have the single season passing record until Jared Goff showed up. And he only had to average just over 46 attempts per game to achieve that. 

31 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Oregon State doesn't have a RB in the top 20 for single season rushing. Interestingly enough OSU does have a RB 3rd in career rushing...but that was while Riley was in the NFL. Otherwise his top RB's come in at 13th, 14th, and 18th for career yardage. Mannion did have the single season passing record until Jared Goff showed up. And he only had to average just over 46 attempts per game to achieve that. 

Haha.  I've been digging for the records too.  The RB you're referring to, the Pac12's  3rd career rushing leader, was actually a MR recruit it would appear and played his first season in MR's offense and ran for a 1,028 yards as a true freshman. 

Riley's Conference top 20 leaders;

P12 career rushing leaders:

3rd OSU Kenny Simonton 5,044 yards

13th OSU Jacquizz Rodgers 3,877

14th OSU Yvenson Bernard 3,862

18th OSU Steven Jackson 3,625

QB's Pac 12 top 20 carreer passing leaders:

1st OSU Sean Mannion 13,600 yards

7th OSU Derek Andersen 11,249

20th OSU Jonathan Smith 9,680 (current university of washington offensive coordinator)

WRs Pac 12 top 20 carreer receptions leaders:

10th OSU Markus Wheaton 227

11th OSU Brandon Cooks 226 (Bilitnikoff winner)

12th OSU James Rodgers 222

15th OSU Mike Hass  220 (Bilitnikoff winner)

20th OSU James Newson 213

If he can produce that many top 20 all conference career leaders in rushing, passing, and reception while recruiting classes ranked in the 40's and 50's at Oregon State, it's exciting to think what he can and will do here with top 25 classes.