Rimington named Interim AD

18 minutes ago, timmytbro said:

It seems like people are overlooking an imperative point here. Nebraska has an identity, and since 2004, that identity has been intentionally swept under a rug. Wisconsin has taken that identity of smash mouth football and has just been cruising to rose bowls. Nebraska needs to return to a run first oriented offense, We cannot on a consistent basis get 5 star recruits, nut we can become experts at a niche, much like we used to. Having people who were a part of the glory days would most likely have a better understanding of this then an outsider would. GBR

The biggest reason we were able to do what we did in the 90's was because of the outstanding road graders that were being produced in-state.  We had a great run in there with Adam Treau, Jon and Rob Zatechka, Eric Anderson, Joel Wilks, Zach Wiegert, and Chris Dishman.  I don't follow high school football like I used to, but I don't really hear of talent like this playing these days in a Nebraska high school.  I realize we recruited some great OL at that time in Brenden Stai, Aaron Graham, and Aaron Taylor.  However, the bulk of our ability to jam the football down our opponents throat came from local talent.  Over the past several years, it has seemed we concentrated recruiting efforts a lot more on skill positions than we have in the trenches.  In order to get back to this style of offense, we're going to have to do much better with recruiting these positions.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, soup said:

I could also make the argument that the Nebraska way hasn't worked in 20 years either.  :shrug:

So why not go out and make a true best candidate hire for AD and if required coach.  We haven't had a real search for either.....well ever.

The last true coaching search was Devaney?

The last true AD search.....  Maybe Byrne, but I believe he was here under Devaney.

Why do you think this means they won't do a true search? Because they brought in a homer to fill a temporary 60 day position? What did you want them to do, conduct an extensive search for a temp AD and then another one for the permanent position? 

As for why they didn't just use one of the assistants on staff...wouldn't those be guys that were influenced by Eichorst and maybe not the best options to provide the new outlook we desperately need? If ya haven't noticed, sh#t hasn't been being handled properly on the field for a long time.

Personally I am glad they brought in an insider that we can be sure has the programs best interest at heart. God knows Pederson and Callahan didn't and it can be argued that Eichorst had some other concern based on his lack of a search when Riley was hired. I just don't understand the few of you who are trying to paint this as some big misstep. Don't worry, we're not going back to the 80's and 90's. I wish we could but the rules today won't allow us to function the way we did back then. Can we agree to hold off on the torches and pitchforks until they actually make a bad hire?

I think some are maybe missing something here.  Rimington was a close friend of Boomer Esiason and I am sure is quite dedicated to his job with the foundation.  He cares deeply about his alma mater as well but simply couldn't up and jump shi.p on a moment's notice.   He can no doubt manage both roles for a couple months without much difficulty.  Obviously his role in Lincoln is to keep the alums and boosters in place, probably offer some good advice on how to help keep the football program from totally collapsing should they drop anothersomalf dozen games or more.  And he undoubtedly knows a lot of people in the football world.   Perhaps he can help us find a new coach or a couple key assistants to right things before the wheels completely roll off in the ditch and we crash and burn.  

He may well be one of those major donors himself and has even asked to 'help' out.  Who knows.

If things do stablize, maybe Riley and at least some of his current staff hang on and we survive this critical juncture.  Maybe not.  But either way, Ronnie (Arkansas or Mississsippi) Greene certainly has not Husker history to give him the credibility to choose our next head coach.  But, he is in charge so I am glad to get all the professional football minds we can get.  We sure as hell need all the help from wherever it may be.  Our Huskers have been wondering aimlessly in the desert from almost 20 years now.  It is time we found our way back to civilization and "Back to the future".   

I am like almost all of the Husker faithful - very concerned about the past, present and the future of football as we like to know it.   Football season has always been my favorite season of the year (I wish we played year around frankly - like we used I mean).  Let's don't bash on Rimington, Alberts, Osborne,  etc.   We have to believe they all want only the very best for Husker Nation and each and every student athlete (past, present and future) and every true Husker fan everywhere.   

There will be plenty of things to bitch about, no matter what happens, but it will be a lot more fun bitching after 'ugly wins' than ugly losses.       

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I think some are maybe missing something here.  Rimington was a close friend of Boomer Esiason and I am sure is quite dedicated to his job with the foundation.  He cares deeply about his alma mater as well but simply couldn't up and jump shi.p on a moment's notice.   He can no doubt manage both roles for a couple months without much difficulty.  Obviously his role in Lincoln is to keep the alums and boosters in place, probably offer some good advice on how to help keep the football program from totally collapsing should they drop anothersomalf dozen games or more.  And he undoubtedly knows a lot of people in the football world.   Perhaps he can help us find a new coach or a couple key assistants to right things before the wheels completely roll off in the ditch and we crash and burn.  

He may well be one of those major donors himself and has even asked to 'help' out.  Who knows.

If things do stablize, maybe Riley and at least some of his current staff hang on and we survive this critical juncture.  Maybe not.  But either way, Ronnie (Arkansas or Mississsippi) Greene certainly has not Husker history to give him the credibility to choose our next head coach.  But, he is in charge so I am glad to get all the professional football minds we can get.  We sure as hell need all the help from wherever it may be.  Our Huskers have been wondering aimlessly in the desert from almost 20 years now.  It is time we found our way back to civilization and "Back to the future".   

I am like almost all of the Husker faithful - very concerned about the past, present and the future of football as we like to know it.   Football season has always been my favorite season of the year (I wish we played year around frankly - like we used I mean).  Let's don't bash on Rimington, Alberts, Osborne,  etc.   We have to believe they all want only the very best for Husker Nation and each and every student athlete (past, present and future) and every true Husker fan everywhere.   

There will be plenty of things to bitch about, no matter what happens, but it will be a lot more fun bitching after 'ugly wins' than ugly losses.       

Dr. Ronnie Green is from Virginia.  Simple Google search finds that. You type so much and say so little.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, grandpasknee said:

15 days into the 60 day window for Rimington.  One quarter of his commitment time has passed.  Since I doubt they have been inactive in the search, I have to admire how they've kept the search relatively rumor free so far.  Would love to hear something soon, but am willing to wait for great news.

Yeah it has been relatively quiet except for the Del Conte rumor. I haven't heard of any interviews or requests for interviews which leads me to believe we are still a ways off from a hire.  Perhaps the committee/search firm is still gathering names and running checks/references on its candidates but I would have thought the media would have caught wind of some of this. 

5 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Yeah it has been relatively quiet except for the Del Conte rumor. I haven't heard of any interviews or requests for interviews which leads me to believe we are still a ways off from a hire.  Perhaps the committee/search firm is still gathering names and running checks/references on its candidates but I would have thought the media would have caught wind of some of this. 

Interview requests went out and I'm sure they are in the interview process and weeding down candidates. We should hear something about who the new AD is before the end of the month. There is interest in the job from sitting AD's according to some national media people. 

38 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

Personally, I prefer there not to be leaks. When a leak breaks for an AD level position, it can mean two things - the AD is leaking it from their end to get a raise or they want to pull out because they want to stay at their school. 

Exactly.  I didn't make it clear, but I see the lack of news and rumors as a good thing.

Edit:  I should have said the minimal news and rumors as there of course have been a few.

• Plus1 1