MR surviving the season

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Yeah, I guess my opinion is that people like Boyd and others have a better read on coaching competence and what it takes based on their experience and tenure and with what they see happening in the program each day.  I'll stand with them before I join the flash mob here at HB.

Also - look at the performance of some of our true freshman that have had to play this year due to injury.  I'd say that's indicative of the talent being brought in.  Jaimes, Thomas, Farinok, Lindsay, Spielman (I know he's not a true Frosh) etc.  Yes, they all made mistakes on the field, but that to me shows where we are headed.  

Wins and losses seem to be all that's viewed as defining our program on this board.  I put weight in development and other measureables.  I think Cav goes ths year because of the lack of development.  Whereas I think Parrella has shown he's good at coaching up.  I think Tanner needs to be sat down.

Do all the right things and the wins come.  In the pros you can expect players to perform on day one in camp, if they dont' they're gone.  If they can't be coached or understand the playbook they're gone.  If a coach can't get it done immediately they're gone.  College is a different world.  These kids are still growing and learning.  

I didn't think the team was going to be this young but boy we are playing a lot of underclassmen and basically 0 Seniors 

• Plus1 2

11 hours ago, Mavric said:

Unless it's an Art Briles situation, there isn't anything to be gained by firing a coach during the season.

I think a caveat to this is if there is a big name coach sitting out there currently unemployed and you want to get an "official" jump start on wooing him.

Chip Kelly probably qualifies as a big name, but no way in hell is he coming here.

It is weird but as a guy who was ready to move on from Riley last year, I now find myself cheering for him more than ever before.  Maybe it is the underdog angle, but I kind of hope he catches lightning in a bottle and pulls this off.   If Boyd thinks we are on the right track and that Riley needs more time... well... I'm not going to tell him he is wrong.

• Plus1 4

12 hours ago, teachercd said:

Yeah...I am a huge Andersen fan.  Riley left him a total mess with crap players.  I love the offense Andersen runs.

His % is actually a great reflection on just how bad Riley left things.

He is a better coach than Riley.  

Wow, you have no idea what you are talking about. Oregon St is terrible.  Every year he has changed what he is doing on offense.  He has played about 4 different QB in that time. He is panicking and doesn't know what to do.  He ran off a lot of decent players at OSU. 

Instead of just looking at what he did at Wisconsin, which was running what Uncle Barry told him to do, you got to look at what he is doing now and what he did at Utah St.   Other than Wisconsin he had 1 OK season at Utah St and 1 pretty good season.  In that pretty good season he had Chucky Keaton as his QB and Dave Aranda as his DC.  

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Wow, you have no idea what you are talking about. Oregon St is terrible.  Every year he has changed what he is doing on offense.  He has played about 4 different QB in that time. He is panicking and doesn't know what to do.  He ran off a lot of decent players at OSU. 

Instead of just looking at what he did at Wisconsin, which was running what Uncle Barry told him to do, you got to look at what he is doing now and what he did at Utah St.   Other than Wisconsin he had 1 OK season at Utah St and 1 pretty good season.  In that pretty good season he had Chucky Keaton as his QB and Dave Aranda as his DC.  

So what you are saying is that when he had the resources like he did at Wisconsin he had a 10 win season and went 7-1 in conference.  At UTSU he had an 11 win season.

I am sure he is panicking now...They suck.

I am not saying he is good.  I am saying I would take him or Riley.

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

So what you are saying is that when he had the resources like he did at Wisconsin he had a 10 win season and went 7-1 in conference.  At UTSU he had an 11 win season.

I am sure he is panicking now...They suck.

I am not saying he is good.  I am saying I would take him or Riley.

What I am saying is that his success had more to do with Running Barry Alvarez's offensive system and having Dave Aranda as his DC at Wisconsin and Utah St.  That 11 wins season was with Chucky Keaton at QB.  He was great, came out of no where, he was a special talent.  Take him off that 11 win team and that team wins 6-7 games.  Injuries killed the rest of Keaton's career at Utah St.  

14 minutes ago, NUinID said:

What I am saying is that his success had more to do with Running Barry Alvarez's offensive system and having Dave Aranda as his DC at Wisconsin and Utah St.  That 11 wins season was with Chucky Keaton at QB.  He was great, came out of no where, he was a special talent.  Take him off that 11 win team and that team wins 6-7 games.  Injuries killed the rest of Keaton's career at Utah St.  

Yeah, I get what you are saying but it really isn't fair to take a guy off a team to prove a point that the HC would have had a worse season.  I mean...that is true with most teams.

And he did really well at Wisconsin...sure he was running a different system but he still won.  

And saying that he won because he had a good DC...well as a head coach you are supposed to try and hire/keep good staff members.

Again, I am not saying he is great...I am just saying I would take him over Riley...which isn't saying much

I'd like to see one year of Tristian Gebbia under HCMR system. Plus the WR's group next year should be significantly better:

QB- Gebbia

RB: Bryant/Wilbon/Ozigbo

WR: Morgan, Moore, Spielman, Lindsay, McQuitty, KJJ, etc

I think there is a lot of talent there offensively. I just think the play calling and QB play has been extremely subpar.

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, I get what you are saying but it really isn't fair to take a guy off a team to prove a point that the HC would have had a worse season.  I mean...that is true with most teams.

And he did really well at Wisconsin...sure he was running a different system but he still won.  

And saying that he won because he had a good DC...well as a head coach you are supposed to try and hire/keep good staff members.

Again, I am not saying he is great...I am just saying I would take him over Riley...which isn't saying much

No, am not taking Keaton off of that team, I am just saying he was a huge part of the success of that Utah St team that year, and the fact that they played great defense under Dave Aranda.  

I think how little progress he has made at Oregon St.  is very telling.  I think it shows that it is pretty hard to win there and that MR did a pretty good job at the place. 

This is not an endorsement of keeping MR though.  I don't think his style of coaching is ever going to take Nebraska back to where they want to be.  I think he will lose to many games he is not suppose to.  I think he likes to build momentum throughout the season.  His team historically get better as the season progresses, but you can start 2-2 or 2-3 every year even if you win 7-8 in a row and get to where Nebraska wants to be.  

54 minutes ago, teachercd said:

You would take one of the least successful coaches ever at Oregon State(that's quite an accomplishment) over their most successful coach ever.

Says much more about YOU than anything else.  At least you're being honest so we all know how much weight to attach to any further coaching opinions you offer.  I'll keep a feather scale handy.

Gary Andersen....lol.   Things that carry more weight than you coaching evaluation:  Grain of sand, styrafoam kernel, belly button lint.......

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, LaunchCode said:

You would take one of the least successful coaches ever at Oregon State(that's quite an accomplishment) over their most successful coach ever.

Says much more about YOU than anything else.  At least you're being honest so we all know how much weight to attach to any further coaching opinions you offer.  I'll keep a feather scale handy.

Gary Andersen....lol.   Things that carry more weight than you coaching evaluation:  Grain of sand, styrafoam kernel, belly button lint.......

Well yeah, we already have seen how Mike Riley has done here.  So the only question you have to ask is do you think Andersen would have more wins, less wins or the same amount of wins as Riley does if he was NU.  

I think Andersen would NOT have beat MSU...But I think he would not have lost to Purdue, Illinois and BYU. (instead of 6-7 Andersen would have went 8-5)

I think in year two he would have lost to Oregon and all the other teams Riley did.  (8-5, one game worse)

I think this year he would be 3-1 right now.

I think his record here at the same point would be 19-11 where Riley is 17-13 (I think those are the records)

32 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Well yeah, we already have seen how Mike Riley has done here.  So the only question you have to ask is do you think Andersen would have more wins, less wins or the same amount of wins as Riley does if he was NU.  

I think Andersen would NOT have beat MSU...But I think he would not have lost to Purdue, Illinois and BYU. (instead of 6-7 Andersen would have went 8-5)

I think in year two he would have lost to Oregon and all the other teams Riley did.  (8-5, one game worse)

I think this year he would be 3-1 right now.

I think his record here at the same point would be 19-11 where Riley is 17-13 (I think those are the records)

It's not working for you.