MR surviving the season

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Why do I get a bad feeling that we might be wishing for 28 ppg by the end of the season.

We're at 30 right now against the easy third of our schedule.

Well, to be fair, we haven't been very healthy the past couple games. Down a few linemen, Tre Bryant, Morgan.... I could see the offense being more productive when they return to full strength. Now, getting into the meat of our schedule, it may not show up in PPG.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Funny you said that.  I think that they sort of keep teams in games as well because of their slow moving offense.  They take a lot of time in the huddle, they take a lot of time at the line...It limits their possessions and the other teams so now you end up (even with crappy teams as we have seen) games that are close and in doing so you can end up with a bad break and lose.  Illinois, Purdue, BYU, Ark State (almost), NIU, the list goes on and on

It looks a little slow, but they're still averaging 74 plays a game. That should be enough.

54 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Why do I get a bad feeling that we might be wishing for 28 ppg by the end of the season.

We're at 30 right now against the easy third of our schedule.

Versus conference:

we rank 3rd in scoring offense at 27ppg right behind UM at 28ppg.

we rank 2nd in scoring defense

Top 3 in both, not to shabby ;  )

13 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Well, to be fair, we haven't been very healthy the past couple games. Down a few linemen, Tre Bryant, Morgan.... I could see the offense being more productive when they return to full strength. Now, getting into the meat of our schedule, it may not show up in PPG.

This is true about health issues, I don't there is a big separation with O-Lineman (starters vs backups).  Morgan is important and a healthy Tre Bryant should be our bell-cow.  I think the offense missed him against NIU. 

53 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

Versus conference:

we rank 3rd in scoring offense at 27ppg right behind UM at 28ppg.

we rank 2nd in scoring defense

Top 3 in both, not to shabby ;  )

You're really going to base this off of one game when we played the worst team in the conference?  

You're not helping your case if you're trying to convince me I shouldn't ban you for trolling.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Funny you said that.  I think that they sort of keep teams in games as well because of their slow moving offense.  They take a lot of time in the huddle, they take a lot of time at the line...It limits their possessions and the other teams so now you end up (even with crappy teams as we have seen) games that are close and in doing so you can end up with a bad break and lose.  Illinois, Purdue, BYU, Ark State (almost), NIU, the list goes on and on

It's a good strategy if you score consistently, don't turn the ball over and play good defense.

We struggle with pretty much all three of those things. :facepalm: Though, at least the defense seems to be improving week to week.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, admo said:

Survives the season.  Like the guy.  My gut says he'll be gone after the season.  I don't see them winning enough.

- They can't score 40-50+ points like so many teams do easily.  Why is this so hard to do at Nebraska anymore?

- They invite defenders into the box with their bunch sets. And then attack the box.  Ohhh, that's why.

- They don't dominate games.  They play to stay in games. That benefits the other team.

- Special teams isn't so special.

- They don't create turnovers.

- Many other teams use spread formations to gain an advantage, and it works.  It works against us, and we don't use it.

Hate to admit this but... Riley, Langs and Cavanaugh have turned us into Nebraska State. 

yep

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Morgan is big, Tre is an upgrade at least (I think ), but in terms of linemen....I'm not convinced yet that the replacements shouldn't have been the starters.

I'd need to be convinced that getting players back is what will fix things, based on what I've seen.

Truly feel Coach Riley will survive the season, and I honestly think if we get some of our starters back we will see a half way descent team play.  The tell tale game for this season as everyone knows is Wisconsin.  If we can hang with them,  or win the game, the outlook would be a lot different.   These kids seem to love the Coach, and never quit on him.  Trust me it would have been very easy at the Oregon game.  But they kept playing and working together.  We as fans may need to develop some of that never say die fire the kids have.   We need to be positive for them, I don't care if you like the coach or hate him,  our job is to support the kids on the field, really nothing more.  We do not dictate who is hired or fired. 

• Plus1 5