Potential HC candidates not named Frost

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If any black coach was going to be accepted by the State of Nebraska, it would have been Turner Gill.  Osborne commented that he went with Bo, primarily because he felt the defense needed the biggest fix.  I also think that Osborne liked Bo's strong personality, and that won him over during the interview process.  Osborne didn't realize that Bo's strong personality had a very negative side to it though.

Sure.  In an above post I think someone was getting after Texas for not giving Charlie Strong a fair shot.  All I am saying is, he was given a shot.  

2 hours ago, brophog said:

I think I waste my time on these boards...writes about looking at things besides records, sees following two pages about records.

You're trying to be too rational. Wait for a fan favorite coach to lose 1 game and you'll see a tidal shift in opinion. Sometimes it's better to just sit back and laugh.

I feel that a guy like Strong can't endure the pressure of a traditional power.  The expectations are way to demanding.  Our job, when its available has the same expectations.  Must win, and win a lot more than you lose.  Simple.

So throwing his name out, I will take a hard pass.  Some guys are meant to coach in the non-power 5 conferences, and some are meant for the big time.

There is only a handful of guys out there right now that have the pedigree, resume, and potential to take this job and win.  I think that if we are serious about winning and competing, we need to look at Mike Leach.  If this thread is about coaches other than Frost.

Frosty is still my main choice, but others have appeal.

4 hours ago, moveitforward said:

Fire our head coach after just 3 seasons? Seriously? Name one established coach who would have one inkling of interest in stepping into this program if that is the reality - just one. The magical coaching merry-go-round just keeps on spinning.

Man I think if you saw the record and took a look at the roster you'd feel pretty good about coming in and have an improvement in year one with a breakout year in year 2.  We are a young team that just needs better development, preparation and playcalling.

6 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Gary Anderson's record:

.491 winning %.  Won't that kind of defeat the Riley is just a .500 coach argument?  :dunno          

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/gary-andersen-1.html

From the current ESPN article about Anderson leaving:

After two years as the coach at Wisconsin, where he went 19-7, Andersen made the surprising jump to Oregon State before the 2015 season to replace Mike Riley. He inherited a team devoid of talent but seemingly had the program heading in the right direction coming into the season.

8 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Frost is the for sure first option. Matt Campbell will either get a large raise or use Iowa St as a stepping stone. Not just the big W vs Oklahoma, but that team has already improved by the eye test. Midwest guy who also did well at Toledo. 

I would be pretty pissed if we got Campbell

18 hours ago, FTW said:

Yeah, I agree.  Even Bo reaped the rewards from Callahan with his recruits from 08-10. Then, when he had his own players, we finally saw what kind of coach Pelini really was. Bottom line, you have to recruit your butt off at Nebraska. When we start establishing a winning culture and win the conference, it'll become easier to recruit here, IMO.

He had pretty much the same record every year.  I don't think it mattered if Bo had great players or average players...he was going to lose 4 games.

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

From the current ESPN article about Anderson leaving:

He did a good job or sending more of that talent packing. You know the QB who led ISU to the upset over Oklahoma? Riley signed him to the Beavers but the coaching change saw him leave. Happened with a few of their other best players as well.