bo's last season

1 hour ago, jaws said:

Wait, in 2007 you guys had games that were not on TV? You also had PPV games and a game on Versus? How on earth did some of you guys not want to join the B1G and have every game on TV?

Stockholm Syndrome?

I agree. It's crazy. The Big Ten feels more like home than anything since the late 1980s when both Nebraska & Oklahoma were good.

1 hour ago, jaws said:

Wait, in 2007 you guys had games that were not on TV? You also had PPV games and a game on Versus? How on earth did some of you guys not want to join the B1G and have every game on TV?

Because some people have problems letting go of the past, embracing change, and recognizing when people that you consider trustworthy are stabbing you in the back repeatedly. 

And yes, this works for an explanation for multiple forums on this board. 

2 hours ago, jaws said:

2007 was the first year of the BTN, so it's not like that was an established thing at the time. I guess we just didn't know any better - PPV and 1-2 games a season on radio were pretty common in our context back then. 2007 was the last year that we had a game not be televised, though.

7 minutes ago, Landlord said:

2007 was the first year of the BTN, so it's not like that was an established thing at the time. I guess we just didn't know any better - PPV and 1-2 games a season on radio were pretty common in our context back then. 2007 was the last year that we had a game not be televised, though.

During the Callahan years having a game not be televised was pretty much a blessing in disguise anyway.

4 hours ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

No kidding.  And here's a fun fact you won't read in any news article (the local sports media up here doesn't like to rock the boat):

After just losing to the USD Coyotes on Saturday in Vermillion, SD, he refused to go out and shake the opposing coach's hand on the field.  An assistant coach went instead.  I think he felt he got jobbed by the refs.  Always was a classy guy.  Will never change.

I wished it had occurred playing my old school SDSU.  YSU unfortunately beat SDSU  the week before  19-7.

I would hope that our next coach, whomever he may be, doesn't bother to do much research and read a bunch of the stuff on this board.   No right minded coach would want to come to Nebraska to be our new head coach when we haven't even fired this one and comments on here suggest that if the next coach is not winning the Big Ten west by year two, he'll be on the hot seat too.  Come on people!    It is absolutely not fair to any coach to expect miracles over night.  If things are not that bad, then we sure should not be firing a well respected coach whose only been here for 2 and a half seasons.    

Seriously, evaluate our talent level currently and over the past five reasonably.   How many players from the past 5 years' teams are actually actively playing in NFL games now?  How many of our starters from the Wisconsin game could start for Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn State or even Michigan State (presumably the five best programs in the Big Ten besides NU?

How many seniors on this year's squad will be drafted or even actually sign as free agents and hold a position on the NFL roster in year two?

How many members of the past five Husker teams made first team all conference?    How many made second team all conference?

The juniors and seniors and even red shirt sophomores were mostly recruited by the previous staff/Pelini, correct?  

Most of the top 35 ranked college teams are going to be starting primarily 3rd, 4th and 5th year players.  I believe this is a true statement.

NU is NOT going to compete at a high level with players that are not even going to make the third string at Ohio State.  Recruiting must improve from where its been.   I believe the Huskers played Saturday night vs Wisconsin at about a number 35 or 40 level, assuming Wisconsin is fairly considered around a top 10 to 15 level.  I think that is fair.

It is atleast arguable that Nebraska's current talent level is perhaps as low as number 45 - 50, especially in certain areas of the team such as offensive line, tight end and linebacker.   We may not be much above number 35 in defensive line, RB and QB and perhaps even with WRs hurt or AWOL, redshirting, etc around that as well.  

Our punter is doing much better than last year certainly and Brown is a top ten kicker in my view.  Not sure where I'd place our secondary and the rest of the team.  We don't have any player that is playing like an All American nor anywhere near playing like a lombardi, butkus, rimmington,  or any of the other major award winning levels.   

Now, one can argue that our coaches have not 'coached em up' enough but you can't make DPE run 4.3 in the forty or 10.2 in the hundred.  He's not that fast.  None of our WRs have demonstrated an ability to get deep on even the corners they've faced this year so far.  For many on this board, Tre Bryant is our 'best' RB and we won a heated recruiting battle for him with Kansas State, not anybody in the top ten.  

It's not for lack of trying in my view.   How many scholarships have we offered so far in this recruiting class?   Hundreds?   We are courting, offering and blanketing the country to find the best we can possibly get but the number of 5 star guys seriously considering NU are dam few.   We've had a surprising number of visits by some highly rated 4 star guys.   This pattern is nothing new and Bo Pelini, even with Tom Osborne greeting his recruits on arrival as the Athletic Director, had less than 5 star results. 

I say all this, not to excuse Riley and his recruiting success/lack thereof, but to remind all that we have a long ways to go to get back to where we were 20 years ago when Scott Frost was a senior.   Recruiting is critical.   NU is not the same program as it was when Frank Solich took over and it was not the same when Callahan took over.  It surely wasn't the same when Bo took over and it is not the same today.   Turning this around will NOT happen in one or two seasons.   

If we should hire Scott Frost or any other coach (I want the most highly regarded, middle aged, top notch, smooth talking, parent impressing, recruiter in the country), he needs to arm himself with good recruiting staff that are exellent coaches that can lead and inspire excellence.   The next Husker coach has a tremendous challenge but the rewards will be astronomical if he succeeds.  The sky is the limit and he will become a legend, on a par with Osborne (or even better).   So - if the guy is as good as his ego and self confidence level can be to take the job, he will rise to the pinnacle of his profession.  He can name is price when the contract is renewed after 5 or 6 years.

10 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

So you won't be doing that if the Frost is a flop to be clear right? 

The minor reason I want Frost hired is to shut up the fan base when he loses a game.  Any game.  

10 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

So you won't be doing that if the Frost is a flop to be clear right? 

The minor reason I want Frost hired is to shut up the fan base when he loses a game.  Any game.