Realistic expectations

At this point in college football what is a realistic expectation in a typical year for Nebraska?

In a video with Colin Cowherd he made a point on big10 coaching. There are a lot of good coaches in the big 10 and its hard to win them all(never expect us to)

At this point I would be happy winning all the non conference games especially the ones that count(UCLA, Miami,Oregon), running over big10 teams that we should beat year in and year out, no blowouts on primetime TV and just beat  Wisconsin/Ohio state once in a while.   

What's your realistic expectation?

The good coaching will weed itself out.  If Harbaugh doesn't start beating Ohio State and Michigan State, he'll be gone.  Some of the up and comers more than likely get picked off by better power 5 teams.  A realistic expectation is 9-10 win seasons where we win the West a couple of years out of every five and winning the B1G a couple of times a decade.

That USA Today article put it well:

Toward the end of the Pelini era, there were a lot of thinkpieces floating out in the national media about whether Nebraska fans realized they were no longer a national power like they once were under Tom Osborne and whether those years had created unrealistic expectations for what the program could be today. While it’s a fun discussion because it ties into how television has changed the entire landscape of the sport, it’s kind of a straw man. Nobody in Nebraska believes they’re going to return to the 1980s or early 1990s. But is being as good as Wisconsin really too much to ask? The idea that Nebraska can't win a national title is ridiculous. Obviously, it would take the right coach with the right philosophy and some luck in recruiting. But can it happen? Of course it can. If Wisconsin can put itself on the periphery of the playoff discussion every year, there’s no reason why Nebraska can’t be as good or better.

• Plus1 3

Two thoughts.

I recognize that I'm in the minority here, but no blowouts is an unrealistic expectation.  Urban Meyer got blown out 35-0 last year.  Mark Dantonio, Bob Stoops, Jimbo Fisher every single good coach gets blown out occasionally.  In the last four years all of these four coaches won 11+ games and still got blown out in the same season. (12,12,11,12).  I'm pretty sure only Nick Saben doesn't get blown out.  Maybe Dabo Swinney will mature into that we'll have to see.

I agree that top 25 is a good realistic expectation.  Let's not forget that Riley was hired the same year as Jim Harbaugh and Paul Chryst were and they are consistently in the top 25, top 10 even.  It is not that hard to be in the top 25.  For the record it took Scott Frost fewer games to take an 0-12 team to the top 25 than it took Mike Riley to get a 9-4 team to the top 25.  We couldn't end a season there either.  Obviously the jury is still out on Frost.  

Anyway that's my two cents.

2 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

Two thoughts.

I recognize that I'm in the minority here, but no blowouts is an unrealistic expectation.  Urban Meyer got blown out 35-0 last year.  Mark Dantonio, Bob Stoops, Jimbo Fisher every single good coach gets blown out occasionally.  In the last four years all of these four coaches won 11+ games and still got blown out in the same season. (12,12,11,12).  I'm pretty sure only Nick Saben doesn't get blown out.  Maybe Dabo Swinney will mature into that we'll have to see.

I agree that top 25 is a good realistic expectation.  Let's not forget that Riley was hired the same year as Jim Harbaugh and Paul Chryst were and they are consistently in the top 25, top 10 even.  It is not that hard to be in the top 25.  For the record it took Scott Frost fewer games to take an 0-12 team to the top 25 than it took Mike Riley to get a 9-4 team to the top 25.  We couldn't end a season there either.  Obviously the jury is still out on Frost.  

Anyway that's my two cents.

I don't get too concerned over blowouts, as long as they don't happen consistently.  I do expect NU to be competitive in the Big Ten Wes though, which shouldn't be that hard to achieve, most of the West division is pretty average or worse. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

...Let's not forget that Riley was hired the same year as Jim Harbaugh and Paul Chryst were and they are consistently in the top 25, top 10 even.  It is not that hard to be in the top 25.  For the record it took Scott Frost fewer games to take an 0-12 team to the top 25 than it took Mike Riley to get a 9-4 team to the top 25.  We couldn't end a season there either.  Obviously the jury is still out on Frost. 

Jim Harbaugh also took over a program with years of top-10 recruiting classes filled with the same type of players he uses for his systems.  Plus, Brady Hoke didn't have a fan club causing divisiveness.  Paul Chryst took over Wisconsin that has run the same offense for 20+ years and that he himself called for 10-ish years ending just a couple years previously.  There's a reason every coach has the same degree of success at Wisconsin: Barry Alvarez keeps everything consistent.

UCF was 0-12 the year before Frost arrived, sure.  But they were 9-4 the previous year and 12-1 the year before that- beating Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl.  So problems, sure.  But it's not like they were an 0-12 program-- they weren't Kansas or Rutgers.