** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

Here is a good article about Frost and the general coaching carousel for 2018.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-footballs-coaching-carousel-will-scott-frost-2018-191153413.html

One thing we should all consider with Frost's short tenure as a HC is that others in his boat are not necessarily lighting it up this year after making a move to a P5 team.   First, PJ Fleck has Minnesota playing about the same and potentially a bit worse than the last couple years of that program.  Also, Tom Herman has taken over a Texas team with better than average talent and has them 3-4 currently.  Both of these guys took over programs that had been in the middle of the pack (similar to Nebraska) but are not having an immediate impact on the team.  This is different than what we saw from Urban Meyer took over at Florida and, while the record in the first season was the same, Florida was playing much better ball than when Zook was there, and in Meyer's 2nd year they won the National Championship.  Harbaugh also had an immediate impact at Michigan in just his first year there, and continues to have them performing well, but Harbaugh was also a much more seasoned coach.  

My top choices would still be luring Petersen away from Washington or Whittingham from Utah, but I understand they are locked in lengthy contracts and would be a stretch.  Fuente also has a recent contract extension at Va Tech.  I am seeing Greg Schiano's name come up a lot too and he did improve the Rutgers program when he took over and is doing a nice job as OSU DC.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ScottyIce said:

UCF is 3rd worst in country in penalties per game

59 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

I think we could live with that if we were undefeated and had a quality team like Scott does...

54 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Hope some of these playmakers join Scott in Nebraska.

I’m going to try to avoid the hype train and ask some questions and point out a few things I think may be applicable.

UCF plays in the AAC. That’s not exactly P5 level competition.

Can we just start playing Navy, Tulsa, Temple, Tulane and the like now?

It just feels like football light. I mean the current version of the Huskers would probably struggle with it but shouldn’t we set our sights higher?

I am not sold on his offense at all. Most of what I’ve seen is the result of poor defense and freak big plays. I don’t see that being near as prolific in the B1G. And those penalty problems would hint at some concerns about the team playing disciplined ball.

Im sorry but I’m just not sold at all that this is the best Nebraska can do at this point. IF he is truly the rising star most claim then yes, maybe we can’t afford to not snatch him up now. But my preference would still be to get a more proven commodity that wants to return Nebraska to a team that controls the LOS, plays nasty defense and establishes and relies on the run instead of this cutesy finesse sling it around the yard stuff. Haven’t we had our fill of that with Callahan and Riley? I sure have.

• Plus1 7
1 minute ago, El Diaco said:

I’m going to try to avoid the hype train and ask some questions and point out a few things I think may be applicable.

It just feels like football light. I mean the current version of the Huskers would probably struggle with it but shouldn’t we set our sights higher?

I am not sold on his offense at all. Most of what I’ve seen is the result of poor defense and freak big plays. I don’t see that being near as prolific in the B1G. And those penalty problems would hint at some concerns about the team playing disciplined ball.

Im sorry but I’m just not sold at all that this is the best Nebraska can do at this point. IF he is truly the rising star most claim then yes, maybe we can’t afford to not snatch him up now. But my preference would still be to get a more proven commodity that wants to return Nebraska to a team that controls the LOS, plays nasty defense and establishes and relies on the run instead of this cutesy finesse sling it around the yard stuff. Haven’t we had our fill of that with Callahan and Riley? I sure have.

:blink:

10 minutes ago, famoustitles said:

:blink:

Sorry. Really. But somebody around here has to ask some questions and point out some things. Seems almost everyone has jumped on this runaway train. I don’t want to make a similar mistake as our last hire. Yes, we need to make a change from Riley just as we did from Pelini. But I sure would like to see more rationale for Frost than he’s coming home for his dream job and the evidence of his coaching acumen is some gawdy offense numbers in the AAC.

Of course I think he would be a vast improvement over Riley. That’s not the issue though. I’m not convinced turning around UCF is near the challenge he would face here. I want to believe because it looks like that’s where we’re headed. I need some convincing.

• Plus1 2
43 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Here is a good article about Frost and the general coaching carousel for 2018.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-footballs-coaching-carousel-will-scott-frost-2018-191153413.html

One thing we should all consider with Frost's short tenure as a HC is that others in his boat are not necessarily lighting it up this year after making a move to a P5 team.   First, PJ Fleck has Minnesota playing about the same and potentially a bit worse than the last couple years of that program.  Also, Tom Herman has taken over a Texas team with better than average talent and has them 3-4 currently.  Both of these guys took over programs that had been in the middle of the pack (similar to Nebraska) but are not having an immediate impact on the team.  This is different than what we saw from Urban Meyer took over at Florida and, while the record in the first season was the same, Florida was playing much better ball than when Zook was there, and in Meyer's 2nd year they won the National Championship.  Harbaugh also had an immediate impact at Michigan in just his first year there, and continues to have them performing well, but Harbaugh was also a much more seasoned coach.  

My top choices would still be luring Petersen away from Washington or Whittingham from Utah, but I understand they are locked in lengthy contracts and would be a stretch.  Fuente also has a recent contract extension at Va Tech.  I am seeing Greg Schiano's name come up a lot too and he did improve the Rutgers program when he took over and is doing a nice job as OSU DC.

Didn't read your whole way too long post, but Fleck has a bare cupboard. Our next coach won't.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

Sorry. Really. But somebody around here has to ask some questions and point out some things. Seems almost everyone has jumped on this runaway train. I don’t want to make a similar mistake as our last hire. Yes, we need to make a change from Riley just as we did from Pelini. But I sure would like to see more rationale for Frost than he’s coming home for his dream job and the evidence of his coaching acumen is some gawdy offense numbers in the AAC.

Of course I think he would be a vast improvement over Riley. That’s not the issue though. I’m not convinced turning around UCF is near the challenge he would face here. I want to believe because it looks like that’s where we’re headed. I need some convincing.

This is the first time I've watched UCF. I'm not convinced but I realize the hype train and it will derail if we don't get him.

• Plus1 1

33 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

UCF is a mid-major themselves, with mid-major athletes, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here.  And it was a 0-12 team when he took over.  The turnaround has been nothing short of astonishing.

And no, I don't want to see Riley's Huskers playing the likes of UCF or Navy. 

Edited by The Dude
  • Plus1 4