** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

On 10/22/2017 at 9:14 AM, Mavric said:

I've been trying to point this out since Riley was hired - when all the "we're finally going to use the fullback again" partying was going on.  This is one of the biggest reasons that we've struggled to run the ball the last three years.

Husker Chalk Talk

I really wish more Husker fans would read this and understand what is being said.  

Running an offense just like what TO ran in the 80s and 90s, isn't the only path to success for Husker football.  The game changes, offenses evolve.  People who have this attitude fail to remember that TO himself evolved his offense over 25 years.  In fact, the offense Frost ran in 1997 was somewhat different than what Frazier ran in 94 or 95.

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, El Diaco said:

Its maybe not that simple. I don’t think anyone holds it against Frost because he is dominating the AAC. Sure he can only play the teams that come up on his schedule and it’s not his fault a lot of them are not as good as he’d experience in the B1G. My only issue with the differences between the conferences is that some act like that level of dominance will directly translate to here. I’m not convinced it will. I’m not convinced the same system will have the same level of success in the B1G. Maybe SF is adaptable enough and a great enough coach that he can handle it and tweak his system for success. I’m not saying that can’t happen. But I do wish some posters here would not act like everything is already solved and hunky dory the day we hire Frost. It may turn out fine and prove to be just what we needed but I do wish there was more acknowledgement of the challenges any coach will face taking over this program and jumping up a level or two.

As an example, how well did Saban do at MSU compared to his years at Bama? It’s not always simply about the coach or the conference or the team location. It is the sum total of all the parts with timing sprinkled in. My biggest concern is not that we might not get Frost but what if we get him and he isn’t quite ready or the timing is slightly off? How long will some of these Only Frost people give him to make it work? Cuz our 2018 schedule is going to be a wake up call no matter who we get, so there’s likely one subpar year down. What If year two doesn’t show enough improvement? Is he on the hot seat in year 3 just like Riley? I just wish more people were a little more realistic with the challenges this program faces. I think that is what many mean when they point out this isn’t UCF or the AAC. It’s not a knock on them, it’s just different here and I believe much more challenging than what he’s dealing with there.

And yes I realize we can’t be frozen by what if’s and afraid to do anything. But I sense this fan base is very near a point of no return. 20 years of suckage will try any organization. To be honest, we’re probably extremely lucky to be in as good of shape as we are. But if so many choose to envision Frost as our one and only hope and he should struggle a bit, God help us. I think a little more levelheaded approach would go a long ways toward preventing disaster if he turns out to not be the savior. Or maybe we’re just screwed if we don’t get him or he doesn’t work out. Sorry but the last 15-20 years has severely impacted my outlook. I just hope whoever we hire gets it headed in a good direction soon. The dismantling under Callahan and the last few years of Pelini and the Riley era has put us in a very bad situation and has significantly shortened the allowable timeframe for anyone, Frost included.

I can answer that......ten years.

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I really wish more Husker fans would read this and understand what is being said.  

Running an offense just like what TO ran in the 80s and 90s, isn't the only path to success for Husker football.  The game changes, offenses evolve.  People who have this attitude fail to remember that TO himself evolved his offense over 25 years.  In fact, the offense Frost ran in 1997 was somewhat different than what Frazier ran in 94 or 95.

That's part of TO's Nebraska blueprint, evolving the offense to keep up with the times. 

FWIW ........Jimmy Hyams said today that John Currie is fully prepared to take the heat and decreased sells, donations etc. to bring Butch back if he feels that it helps Tennessee long term.

John Currie is the TN AD. 

Jimmy is a media guy in Knoxville. Similar to Sipple for Nebraska. 

Jimmy has all of the connections at UT. 

The only reason I post this info in this thread is to update UT as it relates to a potential Coach Frost offer. 

On 10/22/2017 at 8:57 AM, Mavric said:

It's hilarious because when I've said on this forum that we need a "first tier" coach on this forum and that Frost is not that guy, I was practically flamed.

Nice to see Chalk Talk saying the same things just from the standpoint of a sanity check about all of the Frost hysteria. The Frost hysteria is of course born out of Riley's terrible results, I get it. 

8 minutes ago, Undone said:

It's hilarious because when I've said on this forum that we need a "first tier" coach on this forum and that Frost is not that guy, I was practically flamed.

Nice to see Chalk Talk saying the same things just from the standpoint of a sanity check about all of the Frost hysteria. The Frost hysteria is of course born out of Riley's terrible results, I get it. 

I agree that the Frost hype and hysteria has gotten a bit out of hand.  I really like Frost, and I think he will end up being a great coach, and I hope he ends up at NU.  I think he ends up being a "first tier" coach.

However, when you comment about going out and getting a current "first tier" coach, it's practically impossible to hire a successful coach at a current Power 5 conference school, and bring him to another P5 school.  It just doesn't happen.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Isle of View said:

That's part of TO's Nebraska blueprint, evolving the offense to keep up with the times. 

And that's one thing often pointed to as the downfall of guys like Les Miles: they fail to evolve their offenses, and their opponents start to pass them by.

A lot was made of our historic coaching staff continuity, but if you look at guys like Saban and Meyer, they seem to almost embrace having new coordinators on a regular basis. They don't seem to care so much what kind of system their new coordinator hire has run in the past, as long as they're a good coach that gets results, and they can incorporate each other's ideas. Like they know and accept that if they're really hiring the best guys, it's probably just a matter of time before their assistants get a higher-up job elsewhere. The turnover keeps things fresh and evolving.

But it's kinda one of those things where you have to ask: it works there, but would it work at Nebraska? Or are we better off keeping the continuity going and hoping that our coaches can evolve things themselves?

Edited by Toe

19 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

However, when you comment about going out and getting a current "first tier" coach, it's practically impossible to hire a successful coach at a current Power 5 conference school, and bring him to another P5 school.  It just doesn't happen.

My main question is just this: Despite the fact that it's unlikely, are we at least trying?

34 minutes ago, Undone said:

This "first tier" talk makes no sense.  That's why I didn't bother reading the article.

Give me a name.  Just tell me one of these "first tier" coaches.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I thought you were referring to the SBNation article LaFlameBlanca posted with this Frost quote:

“We have to keep evolving. We’re coming up with new things all the time and looking at the landscape of what other people are doing and being successful with and trying to put the right formula together.”

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I guess that's a fair question.  I'm sure there will be feelers put out, but are you going to be upset because a younger, less experienced head coach is hired?

I will be absolutely thrilled if we hire Frost if these last five games go like I assume they will go. Absolutely thrilled. Largely for the offense that Scott runs.

• Plus1 1