** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

8 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

That'll be a really interesting situation when Snyder finally steps down.  Snyder has one heckuva coaching tree.

It would be if he wasn't strong arming his son into the position. Kinda reminds me of someone who used to coach here with one of his assistants. 

27 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Some coaches who I think will get some looks not only from Nebraska this year 

(NC State) Dave Doeren $2.2M

(UCF) Scott Frost $2M

(Navy) Ken Niumatalolo  $1.6M 

(ISU) Matt Campbell $1.5M 

(Boise St) Bryan Harsin $1M

(N Texas) Seth Littrell $822,000

Hard pass on Doeren. 

Edited by Cdog923
  • Plus1 1

38 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Some coaches who I think will get some looks not only from Nebraska this year 

(NC State) Dave Doeren $2.2M

(UCF) Scott Frost $2M

(Navy) Ken Niumatalolo  $1.6M 

(ISU) Matt Campbell $1.5M 

(Boise St) Bryan Harsin $1M

(N Texas) Seth Littrell $822,000

No thanks to Littrell. I remember him at Indiana. I would take all of those other names before Littrell. 

Ken is the best teacher out of those names. Frost runs the more explosive system that stresses the defense the most. 

If we strike out on Frost and others like Ken, I would be happy with Matt Campbell. I know he will get his players to play hard and would recruit well. 

58 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

Is there a name for the  attitude where you really, really don't want a good thing to happen just because a bunch of other people really, really do want it to happen? Like reverse schadenfruede maybe?

Is there a term for a person that claims to be a fan of a team, but when things aren’t exactly going right they jump ship and cheer for a team that is winning?

• Plus1 2
Just now, Football Guy Bob said:

Is there a term for a person that claims to be a fan of a team, but when things aren’t exactly going right they jump ship and cheer for a team that is winning?

Probably.  Is there a name for people who can't understand complex situations and explanations, so they just make it way more simplistic than it really is?

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

Probably.  Is there a name for people who can't understand complex situations and explanations, so they just make it way more simplistic than it really is?

Yeah it’s called being Todd McShay, buddy.

• Plus1 3

37 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

he is not ready for Power 5 football, not yet.

Enjoyed your thoughts @Hunter94.  I also understand this statement quoted.  But man, I just don't see anyone other coach that has the upside of Frosty ... that additionally, just so happens to have played for us.  I just can't pass.  I was one that would have taken him back when we took MR ... so, I guess, I have to say, I was willing even then to take a flyer on him.  To me, now, he is no flyer and I can't say he isn't ready.  In an ideal world, the Nebraska Tradition ... you let him develop ... I get that.  But we now have a new tradition at :bigredn:  ... it's been going on for 20 years.  As an addict, I knew when I was at the "jumping off point" ... I knew when I "hit bottom".

I'M READY FOR FROSTY!!

• Plus1 1

I think SF is pretty much the only candidate that could bring 90%+ of the fan base together to get behind him. The only other way to get that much of the fan base to buy in would be the hire a big name. Someone people know is successful and dont have to google to find out. As for me, if its not SF ill be happy if we get another up and coming head coach. I think that is what Nebraska needs. Someone who has a bright future and is at a small school right now. The next batch of great head coaches. I dont think we can get into a bidding war with other big P5 schools for an established HC. Those schools can match us and in some cases outbid us. 

13 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

I"m all in favor of pumping the brakes on the "Frost or no one" train, but at the same time, I think he'd be a good selection.  I'm not a coaching guru, but I'm betting there are others that would be good too.  

Is it far off base to assume that someone from the University, or boosters, or who ever, has made at least initial contact with Frost's folks to start feeling things out?  I understand and admire him if he doesn't want to stir things up before his season is complete, but I'd sure like to think that the conversations are already going on at some level, just so we aren't on the dock watching the boat sail away, never having a chance to buy a ticket.

I'm sure by this point, Moos knows if there's at least a chance with Frost or if has completely closed the door to a Husker offer.  

My guess is that Frost said not to make any waves until the season is over, then he'll talk.

1 minute ago, Isle of View said:

I'm sure by this point, Moos knows if there's at least a chance with Frost or if has completely closed the door to a Husker offer.  

My guess is that Frost said not to make any waves until the season is over, then he'll talk.

All that communication can be done by Moos and Frost's agent.  Frost's agent wouldn't be doing his job if he weren't taking calls from various schools on behalf of Scott.

• Plus1 3
59 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

that's the mentality we face now, instant success.........Oz was here a long time before he got his championships.  it was a different time way back then, people were patient and stability in coaching/assistants was thought to be important, of course Oz was winning 9 games or more for some time, so just being relevant back then was enough to let him keep improving. with Riley, it seems he is simply treading water, no signs of steady improvement, but worse is his comments of "not sure what happened".....at the very least i want a coach who wants to work on specifics, not just football stuff........that comment drove me nuts! Frost took an 0-12 squad and started building success quickly.......not his guys, but he took the talent he had and molded an offense that started to click. doesn't mean he is a genius now, but he hit on what works in his league.......he has shown that he can develop and coach and scheme in his league successfully. Navy will be a test for his kids. i want to see him stay and put it together again next year, repetition is success.......he is not ready for Power 5 football, not yet.

Why to the bolded?  Jimbo Fisher was 45 when he was announced head coach at Florida State.  He had zero head coaching experience.  In year four, he wins a NC.  Bob Stoops was 39 when he was announced head coach at OU.  He had zero head coaching experience.  In year two, he wins a NC.  Dabo Swinney was 39 when he was announced head coach at Clemson.  He had zero head coaching experience.  In year nine, he wins a NC. 

Exactly how and why isn't Frost ready?  If you look at Tom Herman and Scott Frost's resumes, they're pretty comparable.  Herman took over a rated Houston team while Frost took over a team that didn't win a game.  Herman was at Houston for two years.  Frost will have been at UCF for two years.  Obviously, Texas thinks Herman is ready.  I fail to see why anyone would question whether Frost is ready. 

• Plus1 5
2 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Why to the bolded?  Jimbo Fisher was 45 when he was announced head coach at Florida State.  He had zero head coaching experience.  In year four, he wins a NC.  Bob Stoops was 39 when he was announced head coach at OU.  He had zero head coaching experience.  In year two, he wins a NC.  Dabo Swinney was 39 when he was announced head coach at Clemson.  He had zero head coaching experience.  In year nine, he wins a NC. 

Exactly how and why isn't Frost ready?  If you look at Tom Herman and Scott Frost's resumes, they're pretty comparable.  Herman took over a rated Houston team while Frost took over a team that didn't win a game.  Herman was at Houston for two years.  Frost will have been at UCF for two years.  Obviously, Texas thinks Herman is ready.  I fail to see why anyone would question whether Frost is ready. 

I also don't get the notion that Frost isn't "ready".  Now, any coach that gets hired at Nebraska is going to have risks.  But, I don't think one of Frost's risk is his lack of being "ready" or lack of experience.  Frost has the same type of experience of the following coaches who have been hired in recent years at P5 schools:  Herman, Brohm, Fleck, and Franklin.