NU staff trying to find a way to get TE's involved

Riley is in a tough spot, if he doesn't play some other guys he gets criticized for starting the same bunch of sub par performers.......the truth is, i believe, he (and his staff) just can't coach up these kids and get them developed and playing better ball.........yes, he is desperate to do something.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is a direct result of Langsdorf.  In the spring and fall camp, we heard how good our TEs were. If I remember right, they even were featured heavily in the spring game.

Then......the season hits and they are forgotten.  This isn't the players saying....naaa....I don't want to throw to TEs.  It's the OC not calling plays that get them open and get the ball to them.

Now....after we play 7 games and have lost 4, there's an epiphany in the football offices?

#frustrating

That disconnect has always been a huge problem with me. Something is practiced in the spring, shown in the spring game, practiced in fall camp and talked about during the pre-season as a 'this is what we want to do.' The season hits and it doesn't work.

If something doesn't work in live action then there's obviously a problem in preparation and/or behind the scenes and that's incredibly aggravating. I think play calling is certainly an issue from time to time, but I also think the players just aren't doing what's being asked of them. Who is to blame? I always look to the coaches first because if Player A is struggling to get separation on his routes and make plays, you either need to find better ways to involve him or find a player who can do what you want.

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is a direct result of Langsdorf.  In the spring and fall camp, we heard how good our TEs were. If I remember right, they even were featured heavily in the spring game.

Then......the season hits and they are forgotten.  This isn't the players saying....naaa....I don't want to throw to TEs.  It's the OC not calling plays that get them open and get the ball to them.

Now....after we play 7 games and have lost 4, there's an epiphany in the football offices?

#frustrating

TE.png.e5d1ac40c8d0cd2a2850557b5de74f90.png

You are right on, this is the offense and play calling that they run.  

I just love these types of headlines.  We see a lot of them with this staff.

NU staff trying to find a way to score more points than other team

NU staff trying to find a way to stop clock near end of game

NU staff trying to find a way to keep clock running at end of game

NU staff trying to find a way to increase rushing yards without running the ball

NU staff trying to find a way to get more sprinkles on cupcakes

• Plus1 4
3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

That disconnect has always been a huge problem with me. Something is practiced in the spring, shown in the spring game, practiced in fall camp and talked about during the pre-season as a 'this is what we want to do.' The season hits and it doesn't work.

If something doesn't work in live action then there's obviously a problem in preparation and/or behind the scenes and that's incredibly aggravating. I think play calling is certainly an issue from time to time, but I also think the players just aren't doing what's being asked of them. Who is to blame? I always look to the coaches first because if Player A is struggling to get separation on his routes and make plays, you either need to find better ways to involve him or find a player who can do what you want.

After listening to Langs press conference yesterday, I'd have to question if he could get a rat through a maze. I'd be confused, too, if that was my instructor.

Just now, brophog said:

After listening to Langs press conference yesterday, I'd have to question if he could get a rat through a maze. I'd be confused, too, if that was my instructor.

I think he has a knack for getting in his own way and over complicating a solution. I think, in his mind, the answers and methodology make complete sense and work. It's a theory.

But, as roundabouts in Lincoln once showed me, theory doesn't always translate to reality.

12 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

Riley is in a tough spot, if he doesn't play some other guys he gets criticized for starting the same bunch of sub par performers.......the truth is, i believe, he (and his staff) just can't coach up these kids and get them developed and playing better ball.........yes, he is desperate to do something.

I'll give them credit in that some of these position changes are working, but why aren't the top players being identified earlier? What is it about practice that is making this so hard to determine on both sides of the ball? 

• Plus1 2
43 minutes ago, brophog said:

I'll give them credit in that some of these position changes are working, but why aren't the top players being identified earlier? What is it about practice that is making this so hard to determine on both sides of the ball? 

Because we don't have an identity. If we don't have an identity, then we have no idea what our goal is. We just want to score points. That's like saying "I want to retire" but you don't have a roadmap for getting there or any idea what amount of money you need. That's a recipe for failure.

We need a coach that knows what his identity is. I want to score X points and I want my defense to hold the other team to X points. Goals for TOP and an offense that marries with that goal and a defense that will coincide with that goal as well. We are so dis-jointed right now its unreal. 

I have never been an OC in my life.  I didn't even stay at a Holliday Inn Express last night.

But....a lot has been show about how predictable we are when we run heavy sets.  We run the ball out of those sets almost all the time.  

Gee.....do you think that maybe when you have LBs crashing down on the line because they know we are going to run the ball up the gut.....slipping one of those TEs behind them or in the flats might result in a wide open target?

It's not rocket surgery.

• Plus1 2