The Numbers

HIHusker

A lot.....

Here are the actual numbers:

If Riley were to be fired? Nebraska would owe him $170,000 per month through the end of his contract, assuming he does not obtain employment elsewhere. With his contract recently extended through Feb. 28, 2021, Riley would now be owed nearly $7 million, according to Hero Sports.

So let’s do the math. If Riley were to be retained through the end of the season but fired at the end of November, Nebraska would be looking at paying out two separate buyouts for 14 months. That would equal $4,172,126.

Article here

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/want-mike-riley-gone-heres-cost-nebraska

• Plus1 2

33 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

twice......................

31 minutes ago, lo country said:

A lot.....

Here are the actual numbers:

If Riley were to be fired? Nebraska would owe him $170,000 per month through the end of his contract, assuming he does not obtain employment elsewhere. With his contract recently extended through Feb. 28, 2021, Riley would now be owed nearly $7 million, according to Hero Sports.

So let’s do the math. If Riley were to be retained through the end of the season but fired at the end of November, Nebraska would be looking at paying out two separate buyouts for 14 months. That would equal $4,172,126.

Article here

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/want-mike-riley-gone-heres-cost-nebraska

You know the buyout money gets taken care of right away correct?  Put in a separate fund and is paid out.  That money is removed from the budget and never thought of again.  The money that we are paying out coachs matters zero in making firing decisions.

• Plus1 1

What difference does it make?   If he is NOT the right man for the job, we should replace him.  If he is still the right man, then we should not.   Wins are worth a hell of a lot more money to NU than losses so the money spent to 'buy' more wins is still cheap.   If that stadium empties out and ticket prices fall 30%, for example, you'd be looking at a budget "cost' of something around $1.4 million per game, for years to come, and that does not include the loss of marketing sales, etc.  TV revenue would also slip some although the TV contracts probably would still be pretty good, even if Nebraska becomes a cellar dweller.  

3 hours ago, HIHusker said:

Some on this board know much more than I about the financial repercussions of Riley getting canned.  I would like to know what the impact will be if he is fired or asked to resign.  Can anyone fill in the numbers for each scenario? 

Well, first of all, I can't imagine he would just resign if asked and walk away from money.

Second, we just got a bump of 25+ million from the BIG this year. That one year will pay for Bo, Mike, and three years of a new coach at 5 mil per year. We now get that every year moving forward.

It is time to pony up and take a big picture view of where the money flow comes from.

A good team brings in way more than a coach costs, so it is better to be good financially.  A bad coach can cost the U dollars.  

If you want to win, act like it, and pay a good coach like a top ten team.

• Plus1 2

I heard a recent interview where someone from the University was discussing how much we've made from joining the B1G but said that that money was like 'gravy' as Nebraska had VERY deep pockets.  Money is not a concern at this time. We have plenty to offer Scott and his assistants much much more than they are making now. 

2 hours ago, runningblind said:

Well, first of all, I can't imagine he would just resign if asked and walk away from money.

Second, we just got a bump of 25+ million from the BIG this year. That one year will pay for Bo, Mike, and three years of a new coach at 5 mil per year. We now get that every year moving forward.

It is time to pony up and take a big picture view of where the money flow comes from.

A good team brings in way more than a coach costs, so it is better to be good financially.  A bad coach can cost the U dollars.  

If you want to win, act like it, and pay a good coach like a top ten team.

I could see a Mack Brown scenario where Mike agrees to "step down" with his golden parachute intact, especially if the remainder of the season doesn't go very well. But ya I can't see him just walking away from that payoff. 

As far as money goes ya we are now getting a ton more cash from the BIG and losing does have a considerable negative effect on non-BIG income. Money shouldn't be an issue as long as we are talking about paying market rate. If we want to be a big-time program again we'll have to spend like it. 

Edited by Danimal