What Did We Learn?.....Purdue

The Duke

1. We still lack discipline.  I cant believe the amount of dumb costly penalties.

2. Even taking injuries into account, our O line needs help.

3. Basic fundamentals like tackling and blocking are lacking.  I lost track of how missed tackles we had.

4. We lack fire in the belly. 

5. Our receivers drop the ball too much.  I am happy they infected Purdue's receivers though, which contributed to us winning the game.

6. De"Monay does not look confident as a return man. He is not the same as his first year.

1. Tanner Lee continues to improve and had a nice performance. 

2. Jalin Bradley was impressive, I hope we see much more of him!

3. The team did not quit.

4.  Our screen game showed a hint of improvement. It did not look as awkward and unpracticed as it usually does.

Overall, I am a bit disappointed in the team coming off a buy week as we still looked unprepared.  However, I am VERY excited that our Huskers won!

• Plus1 1

I don't always agree with Josh Peterson but I thought this tweet was pretty spot on:

I didn't get to watch the game as I was at a wedding. But, after somewhat following the score throughout the night, and looking at the final score/stats, I think Peterson's tweet is accurate. I still can't get over how bad some of would-be veterans are playing. It's baffling.

• Plus1 4
9 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

This right here is exactly what face guarding is.  Again perfectly legit in college.  

You just like like to see a defender look for the ball so he can attempt to make a play on said ball.

And I played DB and coached secondary in college.  Not trying to pull out some almightier than you card, just saying I’m not pulling stuff out of my ass to respond to you

That play that I assume you guys are arguing about, it looked to me like he was not only face guarding but also had his hands on our guy. You're not allowed to touch our guy while face guarding, are you? I thought it was a missed call, but oh well....I thought the refs did a good job overall considering all the grabbing going on.

50 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't always agree with Josh Peterson but I thought this tweet was pretty spot on:

I didn't get to watch the game as I was at a wedding. But, after somewhat following the score throughout the night, and looking at the final score/stats, I think Peterson's tweet is accurate. I still can't get over how bad some of would-be veterans are playing. It's baffling.

What will he tweet if they beat Minnesota, Northwestern ,and Iowa?

7 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

I learned that IOWA STATE made a good choice for a coach. They must have a good AD. Going from 3-9 last year to beating two top ten teams in one month definitely is a good indication that they got a good coach. I bet Iowa St would beat the living crap out of us if we played them this year.

Agreed. I also think Minnesota made a good hire and will eventually leave us in the dust if Riley stays on. 

9 hours ago, FearAmeer said:

We need to run a up tempo offense and get rid of the huddle. Don't know why he hasn't figured that out but with tanner's arm it could really torch a defense if ran correctly. College football needs 3 things to compete for championships: quality up tempo offense, dual threat QB and a sound defense. That's it.

I advocated for the huddle in important situations before Riley was hired, and I still think it would sometimes be better to rally up the offense instead of just winging a lousy play, but it looks to me like Lee would be better off if the defense didn't have time to line up in the perfect position every play.
I'd give it a shot and see what happens.........sure seems to work against us.

9 hours ago, RedDenver said:

FYI, exception #4 is why Riley was arguing with the refs over the DPI on Purdue's fake punt. Riley has an good argument here as that exception pretty much says you can't run a fake like Purdue did where the punter just throws it really high in the air.

That's right ....it was a blown call. The interference also wasn't necessary because the pass wasn't close.

10 hours ago, zoogs said:

Jalin Bradley!

We're gonna need to find a running game. Get that guy going. He just looked different.

Tanner is pretty special. A joy to watch. A shame it's not a better effort around him, but this is one of those years. Going to be a tough one.

What looked different was a run to the outside. A duel-threat QB who didn't hand off back to the middle every time would've opened this up early. Tommy would've had a field day.

But yeah, Jalin looked great!

19 minutes ago, Redux said:

I learned that Danny Langsdorf me be the worst OC we have had in roughly 10 years.  How this guy still has a job is beyond me. 

Okay, that's not fair.  I knew this about him weeks ago.

He's the only offensive coordinator I've never said anything nice about. I may have harped more on the likes of Beck or Watson on various sites, but there was at least some point, however brief, where I liked something about what they were doing.

• Plus1 1

A well coach Northwestern team with inferior talent will beat this team.

Minnesota seems like a toss up, but after Purdue, every game is losable.

A hungry Penn State trying to keep playoff hopes alive will destroy this team.

A decent coached Iowa team with equal/inferior (several kids we passed on) will beat this team.

Somehow I see them getting 2 wins out of these 4 games, but I wouldn't be surprised if they lost all of them.

Edited by gobiggergoredder

I'm gonna steal this thought from Damon Benning, but he's pretty spot on.  I don't think Riley and his staff are make good evaluations of talent and who plays on Saturdays.  We have seen numerous players this year play in games, only due to injuries or other factors and those new guys do pretty well.  Then after that success, they may play sparingly or not at all.  I also have a lot of questions on what it takes for a guy to be benched for not performing well during a game.

• Plus1 3