Thoughts and Prayers!!!

I breaks my heart to see little ones being run out of schools with hands on their heads. Or think about them contemplating their imminent death. Or talking about "going down swinging."

It also boggles my mind that there are fully grown adults who rush out after each one of these tragedies to assure us the problem ISN'T guns when it very clearly is our gun culture.

Guy mentioned earlier that there's a civil war inside the NRA right now - one can only pray it burns the whole thing to the ground. At least the lobbying behemoth part of it.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, Redux said:

Good for the kids.  I have zero problems with them letting their reps know they are out of line.  This was insensitive to the event that was meant to honor the victims.  

But I also have no problem if the Colorado reps would have went on (insert favorite news station here) and gave the same speech.  Talking about a tragedy after it happens and assessing the current state of affairs and possible solutions is not "politicizing" an event.  Going to a grieving crowd and giving a political speech is.  I hope most adults can tell the difference.

TALKING ABOUT GUN CONTROL WHEN THERE IS A SHOOTING IS NOT A BAD THING. CALLING IT 'POLITICIZING TRAGEDY' DOESN'T MAKE IT A BAD THING.

ok - I'll accept not wanting it at a vigil. But it should be done pretty much anywhere else and the anti gun control of any kind crowd always use this tactic. They try to make the people who want to address the problem the bad guy. Then they talk about mental health, but they're generally the ones who don't want to actually spend $ on things like mental health or tell people to grow a pair or call them snowflakes if they talk about their issues.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

I breaks my heart to see little ones being run out of schools with hands on their heads. Or think about them contemplating their imminent death. Or talking about "going down swinging."

It also boggles my mind that there are fully grown adults who rush out after each one of these tragedies to assure us the problem ISN'T guns when it very clearly is our gun culture.

Guy mentioned earlier that there's a civil war inside the NRA right now - one can only pray it burns the whole thing to the ground. At least the lobbying behemoth part of it.

I agree with your first and third paragraphs and the first half of your second. But when you say the problem is our gun culture, what do you mean? I would agree if you mean a culture that doesn't foster respect for life and guns, doesn't adopt common sense laws regarding certain guns, lets lobbies control our politicians, fails to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, and doesn't provide resources to even study the problem. And I'll go so far as to include the redneck  neanderthals that fly flags from their trucks saying "come and take it" and those types. But I would disagree if by "gun culture" you include responsible gun owners, hunters and true sporting folks and trained and responsible people who may have guns for self defense.

Personally, I think there are a whole plethora of societal problems and a lack of an effective and sensible government that are contributing way more to the problems we're experiencing than "gun culture". I know this will get shouted down but a gun is an inanimate object that won't harm or kill a single soul without a human being using or storing it in an inapropriate fashion. I agree there are some types that simply aren't needed and should be banned  and some people who should never be allowed to possess one but people and our society are clearly the problem. That isn't even debatable, it's a fact.

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Good for the kids.  I have zero problems with them letting their reps know they are out of line.  This was insensitive to the event that was meant to honor the victims.  

But I also have no problem if the Colorado reps would have went on (insert favorite news station here) and gave the same speech.  Talking about a tragedy after it happens and assessing the current state of affairs and possible solutions is not "politicizing" an event.  Going to a grieving crowd and giving a political speech is.  I hope most adults can tell the difference.

They can't 

36 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree with your first and third paragraphs and the first half of your second. But when you say the problem is our gun culture, what do you mean? I would agree if you mean a culture that doesn't foster respect for life and guns, doesn't adopt common sense laws regarding certain guns, lets lobbies control our politicians, fails to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, and doesn't provide resources to even study the problem. And I'll go so far as to include the redneck  neanderthals that fly flags from their trucks saying "come and take it" and those types. But I would disagree if by "gun culture" you include responsible gun owners, hunters and true sporting folks and trained and responsible people who may have guns for self defense.

Personally, I think there are a whole plethora of societal problems and a lack of an effective and sensible government that are contributing way more to the problems we're experiencing than "gun culture". I know this will get shouted down but a gun is an inanimate object that won't harm or kill a single soul without a human being using or storing it in an inapropriate fashion. I agree there are some types that simply aren't needed and should be banned  and some people who should never be allowed to possess one but people and our society are clearly the problem. That isn't even debatable, it's a fact.

What I meant was what you described in the bolded. I have no problem with the final group in that first paragraph. That's exactly who we should want using and promoting guns in our society.  Like most liberal-leaning folks, I'm not actually on some crusade to institute a blanket ban on gun owners. Least of all the good, responsible ones.

But as Guy described, why do we need a dozen guns & ammo mags at the checkout counter? As a society we've gotten to the point where we collectively fetishize guns more than I think is healthy. I don't want a blanket ban on guns, but given my choice, would I lessen our society's fascination and near total lack of barriers we have to acquiring firearms? Absolutely.

• Plus1 1
  • 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

This one could have been much worse, because this guy was loaded for bear. But law enforcement quickly returned fire after this person shot at the building, he fled, and was shot dead in a parking lot near the scene.

Gunman shot dead after opening fire on federal courthouse in downtown Dallas

The shooter, Brian Issaack Clyde, 22, died at the scene and was taken to Baylor University Medical Center, after police responded to an active shooter call around 8:50 a.m. 

Here's video of the gunman going down. Not graphic, but hidden in case anyone is squeamish.

Spoiler

And probably the most amazing part of this is, a Dallas Morning News photographer, Tom Fox, was there just as this all started, and took this picture as the guy reloaded.

Dallas Morning News photographer Tom Fox witnessed the shooter opening fire outside the buildinga and took photos on the gunman. The window panes in the revolving door and two side doors at the Commerce Street entrance were broken afterward. It is unclear if the door was shot by the shooter or law enforcement.

rb9g7JB.jpg

• Thanks 2
20 hours ago, knapplc said:

This one could have been much worse, because this guy was loaded for bear. But law enforcement quickly returned fire after this person shot at the building, he fled, and was shot dead in a parking lot near the scene.

Here's video of the gunman going down. Not graphic, but hidden in case anyone is squeamish.

Reveal hidden contents

And probably the most amazing part of this is, a Dallas Morning News photographer, Tom Fox, was there just as this all started, and took this picture as the guy reloaded.

rb9g7JB.jpg

In the least shocking news of the day, this can also be put in the republican utopia category...

His social media posts were made up of far right wing Nazism and confederacy memes.

• Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...