A decision could be made sooner than we thought

Vince R.

I agree, Moos said something along the lines of he didn't make mid season firings as it can make the players lose focus, etc. Well, the players have no focus anymore and they've quit on Riley and Co. It is also no longer mid season. He can come out and really easily save face as to why he decided to fire Riley, and I don't think any fans would throw a fit over it.

For those thinking this might look bad for the university for firing now, Tennessee is getting no negative feedback nationwide. Headlines are "Tennessee fires Butch Jones after embarrassing loss". I've also seen media folks posting about how Jones told recruits to go somewhere else, and praising that UT fired him earlier rather then later and dragging recruits out.

Yes it doesn't mean Nebraska wins the next two games or even one of the next two with Riley gone. It isn't about that, it is about letting this staff know this product and performance is completely unacceptable and really in their final years at Oregon State their performance was unacceptable. Maybe he's gone no matter what come seasons end, it gives the fan base ease of mind to know for sure he isn't coming back and to let us know this performance isn't going to happen under Moos' watch.

So if there is a time frame of how long you have to keep a coaching job open for before you hire a new coach then let's just do this already. So when that time comes where you can officially close the process Nebraska, if they have their new coach, can name them and we can get started on the early signing period and moving forward.

1 hour ago, MacNCheeze said:

Na its cool to disagree i dont have a problem with banter on any subject.  I think a change would help more in the next two games then it would be a hindrance.  The players seem distracted and i think this would just be the band aid ripped off and its over.  Will it help them win, probably not but i dont feel it would hurt either the team or the program if they did it at this point.  Like i said i think its a forgone conclusion that hes gone so there really is no surprise if you do it now.  Im not expecting any other coaches to come running before there season is over either.  Leave us to clean up the rest of this mess and move forward.

The players do seem very distracted I will give you that. You may br right it might not hurt, I just do not see it helping either. I have seen teams wake up after a firing, but I also saw Florida a couple weeks ago get thrashed by a bad Missouri team. 

Edited by runningblind

Not sure if anyone has heard similar, but apparently Dee has been diagnosed with some particular health issues.  Awful if true and would just further solidify a retiring taking place at the end of the year or possibly sooner.  My source gets info from a press member, but the story isn't being made public (at least not yet).  Take it FWIW. 

32 minutes ago, runningblind said:

The players do seem very distracted I will give you that. You may br right it might not hurt, I just do not see it helping either. I have seen teams wake up after a firing, but I also saw Florida a couple weeks ago get thrashed by a bad Missouri team. 

But mizzouri just thrashed the vols also. So maybe Mizzu is good.joker_i_dunno_lol.jpg

While many want Riley fired yesterday (myself included), it's just 12 or 13 days before he gets the pink slip. In the meantime it would be good for the leadership to have someone in place so they can make a quick hire within a 24 hour period, even if it is Coach Frost coaching in a conference title game. After the PSU game it will be at most a week (likely 6 days, IMO). Nebraska basketball plays at UCF before the final football game and UCF plays their final regular season game the same day Nebraska does. 

28 minutes ago, Blackshirts007 said:

Not sure if anyone has heard similar, but apparently Dee has been diagnosed with some particular health issues.  Awful if true and would just further solidify a retiring taking place at the end of the year or possibly sooner.  My source gets info from a press member, but the story isn't being made public (at least not yet).  Take it FWIW. 

Sad if true. They have been nothing but grateful for being at Nebraska. Results aside, sad to see it end this way for Riley. 

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, Blackshirts007 said:

Yes, I saw this posted at 247. It is why I have been saying that some people say he will step down. That is exactly what I have been hinting at. 

2 hours ago, 3rd and long said:

Lo, I was typing essentially the same thing while you were posting yours. 

guys, this does nothing for the team, the image or anything positive about Nebraska......you got to let Moos exert his leadership, in his own time......he made a comment and i expect him to stick by it, appearing to bow to fan pressure would make him look like a tool.........i am quite sure he figured we would likely fail to win another game......best to leave it be....let him lead.

42 minutes ago, Blackshirts007 said:

Oh, man. I hope not. Riley needs to go, but he and Dee both seem to be as nice and genuine as possible. I hope this isn't the case.

• Plus1 1