The Democrat Utopia

43 minutes ago, nic said:

“It used to be you would go home at the end of the day, most people would go, ‘Oh, 'Cheers' is on,” he told the publication. “‘Oh, 'M.A.S.H.' is on, oh, 'Mary Tyler Moore' is on. ... You just expected, there’ll be some funny stuff we can watch on TV tonight. Well, guess what? Where is it? This is the result of the extreme left and PC crap, and people worrying so much about offending other people."

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/jerry-seinfeld-comments-extreme-left-pc-crap-response-rcna150008

Is Jerry incapable of turning on a TV, tablet, or laptop? You really want to be triggered so good, don't you? There's tons of comedic media out there for consumption. Dave Chappelle has at least 3 specials on Netflix just making fun of trans people. If you don't like that there's Young Sheldon. George Lopez has a new show again too. I mean... this is the stupidest comment I've ever heard. Also, exactly what airline peanut joke can Jerry no longer say because it's not PC?

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 3

43 minutes ago, nic said:

“It used to be you would go home at the end of the day, most people would go, ‘Oh, 'Cheers' is on,” he told the publication. “‘Oh, 'M.A.S.H.' is on, oh, 'Mary Tyler Moore' is on. ... You just expected, there’ll be some funny stuff we can watch on TV tonight. Well, guess what? Where is it? This is the result of the extreme left and PC crap, and people worrying so much about offending other people."

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/jerry-seinfeld-comments-extreme-left-pc-crap-response-rcna150008

Seinfeld co-creator Larry David has been doing just fine with Curb Your Enthusiasm for the last 20+ years. So what exactly is Jerry’s gripe? That people don’t watch 30 min network sitcoms anymore? I think that has far less to do with “the left” and waaaaay more to do with the countless streaming services and new original content that are available on demand now. People don’t consume media the same way they did in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. All in the Family, Cheers, etc were huge because they were the best of what was available at that time. If I have a choice between sitting down to watch Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, True Detective, The Sopranos or a new sitcom with George Lopez or Tim Allen recycling the same schtick from the last 40 years… it’s a no brainer. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Fru said:

Seinfeld co-creator Larry David has been doing just fine with Curb Your Enthusiasm for the last 20+ years. So what exactly is Jerry’s gripe? That people don’t watch 30 min network sitcoms anymore? I think that has far less to do with “the left” and waaaaay more to do with the countless streaming services and new original content that are available on demand now. People don’t consume media the same way they did in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. All in the Family, Cheers, etc were huge because they were the best of what was available at that time. If I have a choice between sitting down to watch Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, True Detective, The Sopranos or a new sitcom with George Lopez or Tim Allen recycling the same schtick from the last 40 years… it’s a no brainer. 

No kidding!  Comedy is becoming MORE brash but also more specialized.  We didn't used to have options, now we do.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, funhusker said:

No kidding!  Comedy is becoming MORE brash but also more specialized.  We didn't used to have options, now we do.

I don’t know if Netflix is still doing it, but for a year or two they had a new stand up comedy special coming out every week. To your point exactly, we have waaaay more options now, and we can watch a show whenever we want. The days of rushing home to watch the new episode of Friends are over, along with standing in line at a record store to get the new CD from an artist. Times change. 

Edit: and to your point about comedy being more brash. Remember when The Simpsons or South Park was the edgiest thing on TV? It’s barely a blip on the radar now. 

• TBH 1

One thing is for sure...the non-comedy shows are WAY "edgier" 

When it comes to drugs, violence, sex...even topics.  

Ever see Euphoria???

I think Jerry might just be at that "Things were better in my day" stage of life.

• TBH 3

2 hours ago, nic said:

This is just really stupid of him to say. 

The longest running comedy show in America is 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia' which should be commended for the political correctness and it's aversion to offending people.

Like, does Seinfeld not think before he says something this extremely dumb?

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok…..just think of the concept. 

It’s f#&%ing stupid. 

16 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok, explain the reality to me about taxing unrealized gains. 

the concept is beyond idiotic. 

We've had this same discussion on a wealth tax years ago. I'm not in favor of this particular proposal as I think the 25% rate is too high and/or the $100 million threshold is too low. But in general a wealth tax is not a bad idea IMO, which I know you vehemently disagree with. If I was to change the proposal, I would propose something more along the lines of an annual 10% unrealized capital gains tax on wealth over $1 billion. Although a 1% unrealized gains tax starting at $100 million and going up an additional 1% for every $100 million also seems reasonable to me.

The biggest problem with any unrealized gains tax is that it greatly matters how the gains are measured. Is it on Jan 1 at midnight? Some average over the past 3 years? 10 years? As Archy points out, what happens if they lose a ton of that wealth the next year? So while I think a wealth tax is fine in concept, in practice it's very hard to see how it would be fairly and consistently applied, which is why I think an inheritance tax (or death tax for the melodramatic) makes a lot more sense.

11 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Isn't the concept similar to property taxes?

Yes

16 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

probably unconstitutional.  

I doubt that, which part of the Constitution are you thinking of?

16 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

@RedDenver lots of pages to sift through though for you unfortunately.  I’m not taking the time to do it.   This link was embedded in a Forbes article as the genesis of Biden’s  unrealized gains tax proposal 

https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/131/General-Explanations-FY2025.pdf

Yeah, I haven't had the time to spend more than a few quick google searches and couldn't find a link to the exact proposal either. Thanks for that link though, I'll take a look at it later.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

We've had this same discussion on a wealth tax years ago. I'm not in favor of this particular proposal as I think the 25% rate is too high and/or the $100 million threshold is too low. But in general a wealth tax is not a bad idea IMO, which I know you vehemently disagree with. If I was to change the proposal, I would propose something more along the lines of an annual 10% unrealized capital gains tax on wealth over $1 billion. Although a 1% unrealized gains tax starting at $100 million and going up an additional 1% for every $100 million also seems reasonable to me.

The biggest problem with any unrealized gains tax is that it greatly matters how the gains are measured. Is it on Jan 1 at midnight? Some average over the past 3 years? 10 years? As Archy points out, what happens if they lose a ton of that wealth the next year? So while I think a wealth tax is fine in concept, in practice it's very hard to see how it would be fairly and consistently applied, which is why I think an inheritance tax (or death tax for the melodramatic) makes a lot more sense.

Yes

My main problem with the wealth tax is that it's unnecessary. 

Just raise capital gains tax rates on the sale of stock. Add a surcharge to sales of stock that exceed certain profit amounts ($10, 20, 30 million) or have the capital gains only apply to accounts with a certain balance or individuals with a certain net worth. This way they are only being taxed on the amount of money they actually profit while simultaneously only targeting super rich individuals.

• TBH 2
3 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

My main problem with the wealth tax is that it's unnecessary. 

Just raise capital gains tax rates on the sale of stock. Add a surcharge to sales of stock that exceed certain profit amounts ($10, 20, 30 million) or have the capital gains only apply to accounts with a certain balance or individuals with a certain net worth. This way they are only being taxed on the amount of money they actually profit while simultaneously only targeting super rich individuals.

The wealth taxes incentivize spending and spreading wealth (i.e. not accumulating as much), both of which strengthen the economy by increasing the flow of money through the system. Capital gains taxes incentivize holding capital and not realizing the gains, so it cannot do the same thing as a wealth tax.

On 4/24/2024 at 12:57 PM, teachercd said:

It is something to do...that is why they are there.  It is is a social gathering for them, it is a tailgate.  They drank before or during and/or they smoked before or during (nothing wrong with that)

Go ask 10 girls at a Husker tailgate who the Huskers are playing that day...9/10 won't know and their answers will sound similar to hers.  They are there to be part of a social gathering.  

This is not a "guys are smarter than girls" thing, if anything girls are smarter than guys by a long shot. 

This is just a "they don't even know why they are there" thing.  

You have 3 groups of people there.  

1.  Pro-Pally (Maybe anti-Israel but probably not)

2.  Pro-Hamas (Anti every other person)

3.  Social Gatherers

Pretty much nailed it

On 5/1/2024 at 6:15 AM, ZRod said:

Is Jerry incapable of turning on a TV, tablet, or laptop? You really want to be triggered so good, don't you? There's tons of comedic media out there for consumption. Dave Chappelle has at least 3 specials on Netflix just making fun of trans people. If you don't like that there's Young Sheldon. George Lopez has a new show again too. I mean... this is the stupidest comment I've ever heard. Also, exactly what airline peanut joke can Jerry no longer say because it's not PC?

Yeah, It's Always Sunny, South Park, and Curb Your Enthusiasm have found incredible success by intentionally poking what's PC, and their audiences cut across the political spectrum.

That's cable. Network comedy hasn't fared as well, but it's not too bad, either. There was plenty of crap on during Jerry's golden era as well, and tons of lines network censors wouldn't let you cross. Comedy is struggling a bit on network TV and in feature films, but that's about studio economics, not woke content. 

And you're right ZRod, it would actually be refreshing if Seinfield had a joke that pushed the edge. I think young comedians and audiences gently mock Jerry for being from the "what's the deal with airline food?" school and perhaps he's not taking that well. 

That being said, Chappelle, Ricky Gervais and Chris Rock make a more convincing case about daring comedians getting doxxed. 

36 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Pretty much nailed it

So, either they're all idiots, or they don't have the fortitude to actually speak about what they believe in? Neither is good.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

That being said, Chappelle, Ricky Gervais and Chris Rock make a more convincing case about daring comedians getting doxxed. 

And shocker, they're all doing just fine.