Adam Taylor - 0 Career Carries

Mavric

A quick reminder: As a senior at Katy High School, against some of the best prep competition you'll find, Class 5A football in the state of Texas, Taylor ran for 2,754 yards and 45 touchdowns, leading his team to a 16-0 record and a state championship. That came after he tore his ACL during his junior season, mind you.

In the state semifinals, Taylor ran 40 times for 226 yards. In the finals, he willed his team to a win, toting it 30 times for 276 yards, grabbing a late lead for Katy with a 56-yard touchdown on a fourth-and-1. He put the matter to bed with a 42-yard house call after spinning a safety out of his shoes. He was said to put more than 400 pounds on the bench and squat more than 500 as a high schooler.

He signed in the same 2013 recruiting class as Terrell Newby, giving Nebraska arguably the top running back recruit out of both Texas and California that year.

Taylor is still here despite suffering a broken ankle that took him out of the 2014 season. He came back to play every game in 2015 on special teams, and played five more the next season on special teams before another injury.

He isn't one for interviews. An NU media relations person couldn't recall if he'd given one during his time in Lincoln.

He didn't do many even when he was tearing up the scene in high school. But others said enough on his behalf. His high school coach Gary Joseph once remarked that Taylor's leadership was as good as anyone had provided for Katy High football in the last 20 years.

"He's a really good person," said senior offensive lineman David Knevel. "Overall, just growing up with him in this class, I respect him a lot. Guys like that ... they're good guys that just stick it out and play."

Much respect to Adam Taylor for sticking it through an injury riddled career that didn't turn out as hoped. Kudos for his leadership on the team and in the local community. Who knows what kind of a different story it would have been if he started his career a couple years earlier or later with a different staff.

Outstanding high school career that didn't quite translate.

Gotta be honest, I thought Adam was going to be a star here. His highlight tape of the state championship his senior year was... Adrian Peterson esque. Kid looked like a bona fide stud. Who knows what the answer is to why he never took the next step, but it was always a bummer. 

Kudos to Adam Taylor for seeming to be a quality young man comfortable in his own skin and role.

Complete lack of kudos to that guy from Katy TX who posted on here completely obsessed with him and every other high school boy in Katy who played football, and then hoped that Nebraska never won another game ever again until they let Adam Taylor play. Yikes.

Edit: Oh, and his username was candyman???? Da fuq, dude.

Edited by Landlord

2 minutes ago, 3rd and long said:

I’ll echo what everyone else has said, but add one more thing. 

He he never had a carry here!?  Maybe he could have been something special. This staff has shown some “questionable” decisions on who is playing. A kid that talented never gets a carry here? So who really knows?

That's over two different staffs.

I guess I have to go back and think somehow the broken ankle greatly diminished his ability as an RB.  Maybe he still had the speed making it possible to play ST but not the cutting ability to play RB.

I would think that if he were the same player but just not seeing the field (NOT ONCE) just because the coaches were idiots, then he would have transferred a long time ago to find a place he would play.

Hope he got a good education and has great success in life.

Good points. Wasn’t he the scout team player of the year one year(could well be wrong on that, just thought i remembered reading it)?

If so, there must have been something there. Oh well, seems like a good young man and I hope he was able to take advantage of getting jhis education. 

I just cant shake that memory of watching him in high school and how good he was.