Tre Bryant

HIHusker

27 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Damn, you must be young because I feel ancient after these posts.

Ha, I am not that much younger than you, but when retirement age in football is about 29 you know it's a young man's game.  So 35 year old knees would be ready for the nursing home in this context.  :D

Im sure both of us would feel ancient running around with these kids.

Edited by runningblind

3 hours ago, runningblind said:

Ha, I am not that much younger than you, but when retirement age in football is about 29 you know it's a young man's game.  So 35 year old knees would be ready for the nursing home in this context.  :D

Im sure both of us would feel ancient running around with these kids.

For some reason, I seem to recall some mention of arthritis maybe (might have dreamed that).....They night have gone in and cleaned some of it out.  Regardless, I wish him the best and only hopes he plays of he's not risking some permanent disability in his future.  

If I had to bet, I'd say either Wilbon or Bradley will start next year. But really, I don't think we've seen all that ANY of the backs are capable of, thanks to Riley & Langsdork. So I'd say all bets are off...

I haven't played football, in ehhh 50 years, but I have brand new titanium knees and they work good.  Having knee problems is not fun.  And it is not something you just train thru.  I think read some where arthritis was the main problem, but could be wrong.  I hope he makes a full recovery and plays like he wants to play.  He doesn't have to measure up to my desires, only his.  If it is time to walk away, he should do so.  Okay I have a 25 mile mountain bike ride in the morning.  Need to rest my knees.  lol 

10 hours ago, husker98 said:

Hopefully this staff manages him better than the last group. There was no reason to run him as hard as they did, especially against Ark state with as many other backs as we had.

Our rb-rotation was an utter mystery throughout the Riley era but it didn't get worse than running a guy with established knee issues into the damn ground. Going forward we need to moderate Bryant's touches considerably. Between Bell, Wilbon, Ozigbo, and Bradley sharing the load it should hardly be a problem.

5 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

We have nothing but 1 comment by Riley to go by.  Last I checked, he wasn't too reliable (only 50% reliable) so I'll take that for what its worth.

We have a bunch of reports from media guys that Bryant was getting held out of practices during fall camp because of either knee issues or wanting int rest/not over-work his knees.  So they were worried about it before the season even started.

On 1/28/2018 at 12:17 PM, husker98 said:

Hopefully this staff manages him better than the last group. There was no reason to run him as hard as they did, especially against Ark state with as many other backs as we had.

In their defense, Tre Bryant had 299 yards rushing in two games last year.

Ozigbo had 493 in 10 games and Wilbon had 379 in 11 games. They did have a fair amount of reason to lean on him as much as possible.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Enhance said:

In their defense, Tre Bryant had 299 yards rushing in two games last year.

Ozigbo had 493 in 10 games and Wilbon had 379 in 11 games. They did have a fair amount of reason to lean on him as much as possible.

No one disputes he is the best back on the roster. However it doesn't excuse running a kid with known knee issues 51 times in 2 games. The other backs in that time span had a cumulative carry count of 12. That includes receivers. Wilbon only had 5 of those. 

But i guess, Winning games>player health. 

Wilbon and Ozigbo did as best they could behind a struggling line, and could have been used more to reduce the wear and tear on Bryant.

• Plus1 2
45 minutes ago, husker98 said:

No one disputes he is the best back on the roster. However it doesn't excuse running a kid with known knee issues 51 times in 2 games. The other backs in that time span had a cumulative carry count of 12. That includes receivers. Wilbon only had 5 of those. 

Wilbon and Ozigbo did as best they could behind a struggling line, and could have been used more to reduce the wear and tear on Bryant.

Why are/were things that are so ovbious to all of us, such foreign concepts to the last staff?  Will forever be SMH about roster management through the whole season.

21 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

All I know is that at the end of last season, I heard several people saying that the word around the rumor mill was that Bryant might not return at all, ever. I certainly hope that's not the case, because he flashed signs of greatness during his limited playing time.

I believe what’s wrong with his knees were going to last however long no matter what. At some point he was going to be done. Use him while you can. 

12 hours ago, husker98 said:

Some players lie and say they're ready to go. Some don't. Some doctors give them the green light to play only to see it result in a further injury. We don't know how any of this stuff went down.

My point stands true - they had reason to run him as much as they did based on the talent pool of the other backs. I'm not saying they did the right thing, but it's disingenuous to say they had "no reason," particularly when we're not privy to the medical discussions that took place.

4 hours ago, Enhance said:

Some players lie and say they're ready to go. Some don't. Some doctors give them the green light to play only to see it result in a further injury. We don't know how any of this stuff went down.

My point stands true - they had reason to run him as much as they did based on the talent pool of the other backs. I'm not saying they did the right thing, but it's disingenuous to say they had "no reason," particularly when we're not privy to the medical discussions that took place.

It was well known that he had knee issues coming out of high school. We must also be cautious passing judgment on the other backs as well. They actually ran against the stout run defenses of the BIG 10 with little or no line support. Bryant did not.

The picture is very incomplete here, i don't know that we can say for certain how good Ozigbo or Wilbon actually are. But i think we will find out come august.

• Plus1 1
  • 3 months later...