TAKODA

Honest Expectations (Frost and Co)

With all the talk, excitement and the high expectations that us Husker Fans have for our football program, I am wondering what the majority of people are expecting by our hire of Scott Frost and company? 

Are we so starved for success, and the fact that we have been out of the lime light for so long, that it impairs our rational or judgement?  

I for one hope for the best for Frost and Co, and feel that our core culture has been so fragmented, that it will take a little time to get back to our players knowing what that “N” on the side of their helmet represents?  <— Is this fair, to expect kids to repspect what many of of older fans used to take as gospel? Who we were? If it is not fair in your opinion, why not? If so, what does that look like in 6 months, 1 year, 3 years?

I guess the reason for me posting this question, is so people can evaluate from the the depths of their souls, on what they believe constitutes success from their own eyes. No, we do not need to talk of the what if (we do not improve) because I believe out of the gate, Frost will demand and get the most out of our players, to be invested in success, not just going through the motions. I also believe Frost will bring together the fractured fan base, which can have an impact on the results going forward. 

Feel free to chine in with your thoughts on all the above. I for one, look forward to what is ahead of us, but I am also tempering my expectations to a degree, to give adequate time for Frost and Company to get things right. I do not expect the massive turnaround, that UCF just went through from one year to the next. 

:3DN:

• Plus1 2

Bowl Game next year

Become the hunted in the West in 2 years

B1G Championship game at least every other year.

In 5 years a B1G championship and New Years big game and possibly a playoff spot.

Like Teach said, this would have been the same with me with Solich through Riley

• Plus1 2

Expectations for the first couple of years, for me, is progress. Show that you're a tougher team, a more physical team, a more mentally tough team. Show that you're not going to go on the road and lose to an average B1G program by 30-40 points.

I'll start worrying about B1G division titles and conference titles once we can prove the above.

• Plus1 8

Win at least maybe 8-9 games next year but be competitive and look competent on the field.

From there, improve and move the program forward.  Ultimately, playing in CCGs and winning some.  Hopefully that doesn't take more than 3-4 years to accomplish otherwise the natives will start getting restless again.  

Ultimately, make the Huskers once again a program that most other programs dread playing because they know they are going to get their asses kicked.

Coach and manage the program in a manner that represents the school and state well.  Help develop relationships and HS football programs throughout the state so local HS kids have the opportunity to help make the Huskers a dominant program.

Kick Iowa's ass back to the also-ran program they were before.  Beat them so bad every year that everyone just knows Wisconsin is going to be our toughest game in the west and Iowa is just the game at the end of the year we play to end a good season.

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Plus1 1

To resemble a team that represents what Nebraska football has been and should be about. Mental and physical toughness. Playing with tenacity. Outworking and out hustling opponents. Playing with the physicality and strength necessary in all phases of the game to win. Sure tackles from everyone on defense with no more "kinda throw my shoulder out there and hope he trips" tackle attempts. Competition in every aspect of the program resulting in players being able to win spots by practicing well. Guys feeling the heat if they aren't performing on the field. Accountability on and off the field. The implementation of the culture that Scott Frost wants at Nebraska. 

Doing the above will fix a lot of the issues we've had in the past in terms of wins/losses. If this team can be properly motivated and play with physical and mental toughness, the turnaround in the results column will be quicker than most think.

Year 1- Team shows consistent improve and becomes competitive against pretty much anyone we play. We will be understanding if we drop a game or two early on due to the transition. Make a bowl game

Year 2- Start to dominate far lesser opponents, beat the teams we should and beat either Wisconsin or Iowa. Make a decent bowl game. 

Year 3- Win the west, beat both Iowa and Wisconsin, No blowouts, make a better bowl than the year before. Top 15 recruiting class

Years 4-7- Same as year 3. If Coach Frost can get his system established it will just take getting better athletes than what he will start out with on both sides of the ball to consistently win the west and to a BIG championships. 

And in all honestly my expectations may be a year to quick each year

The first year I don't expect miracles, but realistic change.

-Not getting taken to the woodshed by teams we should beat.

-No enormous blowouts.

The second year, I expect to be seeing talk of serious contenders for the West, and handily beating lesser opponents. 

Third year, I want Huskers at Badgers to be THE B1G game to watch. With this game being who goes to the B1G Championship,  and advancing in Top 15 rankings.

I feel this is one of the only coaches in America that our fan base will be patient enough with. Am I still worried about some of the off beat Nebraska fans that will turn on him year one when we don't win every game? Yes.. but we need to be reasonable as a fan base and not get caught up in the wins and losses. 6-6 would NOT be a failed season. With the schedule and change of EVERYTHING. 6 wins is pretty damn good. I know I won't be looking at the win and loss column until year 2-3. I just want to see the players come out with some fire and passion and play hard. 

• Plus1 1

Actually if Frost can get this team to work hard and be mentally tough it would probably jump the program ahead two years.  A mentally tough team this year would have finished at least 8-4 if not 9-3.

• Plus1 3

I just want the kids to stop beating themselves.  If we lose, I want to be able to cheer as the victors go by...because our kids made them earn it.  The results will take care of themselves if we can get back to taking care of the little things.  NU has generally won with that formula.  The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Edited by beorach

Living in Ann Arbor Im always asked what is/was the difference between Michigan's program and Nebraska's program. Although its been awhile why has Nebraska had the success that Michigan hasn't been able to obtain consistently. Short answer....Michigan is/was never a "team". They recruit a lot of 4 and 5 stars that are prema donnas. One foot in Ann Arbor and one foot in the NFL. Nebraska may not have had the stars but the "team" succeeded.  I have slowly watched the Nebraska program turn into Michigan until it was totally fractured.

SF will bring the "team" concept back. I don't care who he recruits. As a team they will recapture national prominence. It may sound like a cliche but the "team" is always stronger than the individual. I sensed it out of Orlando. Thats how they did it. Of course this will take 2-3 years but this is the transformation that excites me the most. After all isn't that what TO taught us all?

I love all the suggestions so far.  What I would add is:

>Establishment of relationships between coaches and players AND between players and players.  Since the coaching staff is already a cohesive unit, they can concentrate on bringing this team together as a team and not just a few star players. Teach them the importance of looking out for the guy in either side of them and being committed to the team overall.

>Coaching this team with regards to football fundamentals

>Establishing discipline! No more sloppy playing or those endless 'delay of game' or 'personal foul' penalties.  

>Making sure these players know the plays!  Our boys looked so lost so much of the time this year especially on defense.

If we can get the above going during the first year we will win game or at least be competive.

Bowl game next 2 years.

Compete for B1G West by year 3.

Win West by year 5.

Then each year the goal will be to win the West, which gives a chance to win the conference, which gives a chance to make the CFP.

Edited by RedDenver

Lets hypothetically say Frost coaches Nebraska the next 20 years (very possible IMO). The records of the teams will take care of themselves. I think fans also have to be mindful that we haven't won a conference title in 19 years and a national title in 21 years come the 18' season.

I would be very happy if he could do the expectations below. Some might say lofty, some might say not good enough. The B10 is a good conference with solid tradition, and very good coaches right now. Wisconsin has proven consistent winning, MN has row the boat, Purdue has improved with Brohm, Ferentz can pop up at any season, Fitz also a sneaky good coach. Then you have Meyer, Harbaugh, Franklin, and Dantonio in the East. 

Years 1-5: Win the West 2/5 years. 1 B10 Title 

Years 5-10: Win the West 3/5 Years. 2 B10 Titles 

Years 10-20: Win the West 5/10 years. 3 B10 Titles. 1 National Championship before retiring 

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

The B10 is a good conference with solid tradition, and very good coaches right now.

I think this will continue as long as the TV money keeps flowing into these programs.  Right now, the Big Ten programs have the money to spend on really good coaches.  

I'm hoping to be able to beat Wisconsin and Iowa in year three and compete well in the conference title game.

Long term, I'm hoping to win our division 50% of the time and win the conference every 1 in 4 years.

If either of the above doesn't happen, but our team has unity and competes without the drama and headcase nonsense that we've seen at times by the last three regimes, I won't be upset. I won't be on here or anywhere else disparaging coach Frost. I'll be proud of us again.

I don't know what my "expectations" are, but I'm just excited to have a coach that I think will do a great job.  I could be wrong on that of course, but this is the first coach I have been excited for since Osborne.  There were times where I liked Solich, Callahan, Pelini, and even Riley, but I didn't have the excitement about the future that I do now.  

Year one, 8 wins max.  It's a gauntlet of Big Ten powers.  Maybe we have a better unit than we think and knock off a couple.  But he's taking over a team that mostly gave up, a team that had very little guidance we are finding out and most importantly a team that got used to losing games it shouldn't.

Year two, win the division.

We knew next year would be rough years in advance. Not a bad year to hit the reset button. 

I expect improvement. All he has to do is win five games to do that. What I want is a bowl game which would be two more wins than last year. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, RunMickeyRun02 said:

We knew next year would be rough years in advance. Not a bad year to hit the reset button. 

I expect improvement. All he has to do is win five games to do that. What I want is a bowl game which would be two more wins than last year. 

I also think it's a great year to go through a transition year.  The schedule and the 2017 record will provide lower expectations from the fans.  I still think the schedule has a built in 6 wins (assuming Frost is the upgrade in coaching that we expect) so then if Frost wins 1-2 50/50 games and pulls off one upset, then NU is looking at 8-9 wins.

#1.  Change the culture back to Nebraska values.  This includes turning boys into good men.   Coaches should be mentors.  I want to be proud of our program off the field, too.

#2.  Make improvements in play.  Win when we should.  Lose with grace, at least be competitive.

#3.  Bowl game would be nice.

#4.  Make Nebraska respected in college football again.

#5.  Within 3-4 years, we should be back in the thick of it for conference championships, national playoffs.  At least be close.

• Plus1 2

1. Get back to fundamentals including tackling, route running, blocking, weight room philosophy.

2. Show improvement from game one to game 12, next year.

3. Have accountability, in every facet. From game prep to in game scenarios.
4. Resurrect the pride of Nebraksa football.

• Plus1 1

2018 - get a bowl game (win, or lose doesn’t matter).

2019 - get a bowl game (win, or lose might matter).

2020 - win division...  hopefully.

Honesty, if we could have 9, or 10 win seasons without blowouts, and mental breakdowns- I’d be happy.

Most of the responses are realistic and my expectation is to beat the lower to middle tier teams and compete with the top teams.  No blowouts, no embarrassment and play with pride.

I also expect to see a team with a clear identity.  Fast play, conditioned athletes and smart coaching .

• Plus1 2

Has Frost ever said we’ll win championships?  That’s impressive to me because the last three came in promising big things and then didnt deliver. It was like being sold a bag of coal when diamonds were promised. 

for me, this program is so far down that success is going to be game by game for awhile. At this point the team just needs a sound process not a bunch of empty dreams

8 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Has Frost ever said we’ll win championships?  That’s impressive to me because the last three came in promising big things and then didnt deliver. It was like being sold a bag of coal when diamonds were promised. 

for me, this program is so far down that success is going to be game by game for awhile. At this point the team just needs a sound process not a bunch of empty dreams

Or sold a bag of diamonds and coal was delivered.....or promised a date with the homecoming queen but getting hooked up with a literal pig with lipstick.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I also think it's a great year to go through a transition year.  The schedule and the 2017 record will provide lower expectations from the fans.  I still think the schedule has a built in 6 wins (assuming Frost is the upgrade in coaching that we expect) so then if Frost wins 1-2 50/50 games and pulls off one upset, then NU is looking at 8-9 wins.

Yeah, my normally pessimistic gut is telling me he'll be more of a Pelini in his first year than a Callahan or Riley but I refuse to let my hopes up get out of control. 

• Plus1 1

UCF conference Rank / N's conference rank

1st in passing offense / 2nd in passing offense

6th in rushing offense / 13th in rushing offense

4th in rushing defense / 13th in rushing D

6th in passing defense / 11th in passing D

Installing entirely new systems on both sides of the ball with players who were not recruited to fit those systems is not an ideal formula for winning a lot of games.

I expect our run game to be a focus and our rank to improve and be among the top 8, passing to hold steady in top 3.  Rushing D improve to top 7, passing D to stay same.

I will trade wins next year for building a strong running game and rushing D foundation if that's what it takes.

I think some of us will be surprised by how fast he turns this around. This will be a fun thread to visit this time next year.

The last year of the big 12, going into the first year in the big 10 there was a lot of talk of "has anyone won a conference championship in two different conferences back to back?" Of course we didn't win either, but Frost's ceiling is higher imo. It won't take long for that narrative to pop up.

By the second year I expect every game to start with the announcers talking about the Big Ten West's new threat, with a heavy dose of hype up to our first loss.

I'm not really sure what my point is aside from our expectations will probably bounce up pretty high after a couple years of mediocre pelini-level success. "Next year" will be ours again!!

9 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

We got Frost as our head coach.

I am lounging back and sippin some Jack Daniels on the rocks the next 7 years just enjoying the ride.

Wild Turkey 101 for me, please.

Edited by Sparker

1 minute ago, Sparker said:

I think some of us will be surprised by how fast he turns this around. This will be a fun thread to visit this time next year.

The last year of the big 12, going into the first year in the big 10 there was a lot of talk of "has anyone won a conference championship in two different conferences back to back?" Of course we didn't win either, but Frost's ceiling is higher imo. It won't take long for that narrative to pop up.

By the second year I expect every game to start with the announcers talking about the Big Ten West's new threat, with a heavy dose of hype up to our first loss.

I'm not really sure what my point is aside from our expectations will probably bounce up pretty high after a couple years of mediocre pelini-level success. "Next year" will be ours again!!

Wild Turkey 101 for me, please.

Had a little too much of this during the Riley years, and it was no lounging and sipping going along with it. 

• Plus1 1

The situation that Riley is coming into is much different than Frost.  Riley took over a program that had won 9+ games 6 or 7 years in a row.  It wasn't supposed to be a rebuild, but Riley found a way to burn it all down.

Frost is now taking over a dumpster fire. I truly believe if we hired Frost instead of Riley, we don't lose a beat and continue winning 9 games a year with Tommy Armstrong manning the helm.  With that said, the 2018 schedule is tough.  Combine that with a whole new system being implemented, I don't think it is reasonable to expect much in year one outside beating the teams we are supposed to, and maybe stealing a few toss ups.  I hope the fan base can be patient, and I don't see why they wont.  We found our floor, and only expect us to trend up from here.  What that trend looks like, I have no idea, but it can't be any worse than the past 3 years.

Honestly, I just want to be relevant in college football. Top 10 every year And every 3 years be in the conversation of getting into the college playoffs. A great example of this would be Oklahoma; top 10 program every year and every three years they're in the conversation in being in the playoffs. Not to unrealistic with our division and our resources.

We need to be a strong contender for a division title year 3. Improvement until that point. After that lets just be the consistent favorites in the West and I think that will position us nicely on a regular basis. 

2 hours ago, zoogs said:

Clean program, represented with class, long term commitment to the coach, do not care about W/L.

You do know sports are a competition, with winners and losers, right?

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You do know sports are a competition, with winners and losers, right?

I get what you are saying but records can be deceiving.  By year 3-4 i want to compete in every game.  I want to have a realistic chance of winning with 5 minutes left in the 4th of every game.  It's been a while since we could say that.  

That being said if we in every game but only winning half of them that's not good.

Just now, melscott62 said:

I get what you are saying but records can be deceiving.  By year 3-4 i want to compete in every game.  I want to have a realistic chance of winning with 5 minutes left in the 4th of every game.  It's been a while since we could say that.  

That being said if we in every game but only winning half of them that's not good.

I understand that records can be deceiving, but I was just commenting on the poster's general comments about not caring about wins and losses.  Why even follow sports teams if you don't care about wins and losses?