BTN: Early Look at B1G West in 2018

Mavric

5. Nebraska
Good: New coach Scott Frost already is getting rock star treatment, energizing a fan base that deserves good things—but hasn’t gotten them often in recent years. There is some skill-position talent on offense. First order of business: Find a QB for Frost’s dynamic offense.
Bad: There will be a transition period as the new staff incorporates its schemes, while also instilling a new culture. Does the personnel on hand fit what the new staff wants to do on both sides of the ball? Job No. 1: Get better in the trenches on offense and defense.

Link

• Plus1 3

Agree with Job # 1 Get better in the trenches on both sides of the ball.   Hopefully we will see a marked difference next year with S&C coach and new coaching.  If we can put together half of a running game (this past year was a disaster) the O will be OK.  I don't expect a # 1 scoring O next year but I think we will see marked improvement.

The D needs strength and speed.  S&C coach as a job waiting on him. 

40 minutes ago, jsneb83 said:

This is the same order that they finished in 2017.

Ya. I'd be shocked (but probably not pissed off) if we were 5th. We do have the toughest crossover schedule in the West, but I guess I'm optimistic we'll be better than 2 of Iowa, Northwestern, and Minnesota. Northwestern plays Michigan and Michigan State.

Also, I understand thinking with a transition things take awhile, but we won 4 games. I don't think that should be too hard to top.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1

All of our tough games are on the road. Northwestern is a road game but its basically a home game for us. Outside of Sparty we should not lose at home and since we play them at home we have a good chance against them. I will say we finish third but would not be surprised if we finished second or potentially win the division. 

I would rather be put low like this and exceed expectations in year one. And then consistently win the division thereafter. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

All of our tough games are on the road. Northwestern is a road game but its basically a home game for us. Outside of Sparty we should not lose at home and since we play them at home we have a good chance against them. I will say we finish third but would not be surprised if we finished second or potentially win the division. 

I would rather be put low like this and exceed expectations in year one. And then consistently win the division thereafter. 

I do like the low expectations .... for now. What if we win the BIG? The committee may put 3 SEC teams in the playoffs, and no Nebraska. 

12 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I do like the low expectations .... for now. What if we win the BIG? The committee may put 3 SEC teams in the playoffs, and no Nebraska. 

If we go 11-1 or better in 2018, 2019 or 2020 and win the conference we will be in the playoff. We have some tough matchups in the East and all of those schedules have some tough teams. The low expectations are for year one and year two is a big year for us. A schedule that is very favorable with all the tough games at home. 

I don't think we will see two SEC teams in again unless they want to lose ratings continuously. If Alabama and Georgia meet in the SEC championship the loser will be ousted. Unless ESPN runs a campaign to promote the loser like crazy.