Frost, Harbaugh or Urban Meyer

If you mean what coach would I want at Nebraska then it is Frost. If you are saying at any school it is Meyer by a landslide at the moment because this is Frost's best situation for longevity. Meyer did what Frost did at UCF and some before going to Florida/Ohio State. Lets hope Frost can eventually win a Natty for us 

Edited by BIG ERN
10 hours ago, melscott62 said:

Anyone that doesnt say Meyer is crazy.  You take the proven choice.  If people are being honest.....i can't see Frost's absolute ceiling being much higher than what Meyer is.  

100x this

Saban/Urb/Dabo >>>>>>>  everyone else right now

Meyer's records:

8-3

9-3

10-2 #21

12-0 #4

9-3 #12

13-1 #1

9-4 #13

13-1 #1

13-1 #3

8-5

12-0 #3

12-2 #12

14-1 #1

12-1 #4

11-2 #6

12-2 (will finish top 5)

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

Meyer is a great coach but I think he’s peaked as coach who does more with less and instead does less with more. Florida and OSU were programs waiting for success. Zook recruited Florida at a high level, ranking 20/2/7 (according to rivals). And if it weren’t for tattoo scandal, sweater vest may still be at OSU recruiting at just as high of a clip as Urban has. He’s won titles, but with other coaches players. 

Harbaugh is a gimmick. His shtick gets old and his personality wears on people, which unsurprisingly, I’ve heard goes back to his time at USD. 

Like many, I’ve been hoping for Frost to become the head coach since he got into coaching and I’m going to let my homerism shine. Frost all the way baby. 

I said when harbaugh was hired that he hasn't done squat to get what he got and the love fest that followed him. 

He is a Bo Pelini. High floor low ceiling. He also had zero evidence to support he is a long term builder. He went to Stanford peaked and bailed. He is now in a conference with a bunch of coaches that are on the up and up. He isn't special. On a scale of 1 to 10 he is a 7 at best 

• Plus1 2

11 hours ago, ladyhawke said:

I know what you mean.  My husband asked me why I disliked Saban so much.  I said, because I don't want any coach to beat out Osborne.  Silly, I know.  There's just something about Saban that just rubs me the wrong way.  Maybe I'm just jealous that he wins so much.  Meyer, I don't know.  I remember when Tim Tebow left and that team started to go downhill.  The next thing you know is Meyer is jumping ship.  Hopefully, he won't do that to his alma mater.  Harbaugh is a question mark.  Again, if he has high quality players he seems to do well but I think he would still be in the NFL if they hadn't have let him go.  But he said he wasn't going to leave when a reporter asked him about the NFL after they lost their bowl game.  I know that Coach Osborne lost a few doozies too.  Don't pay any attention to me.  I'm still mad that UCF got screwed out of being able to play with the big boys. I don't like the current play off system but it's what we have.  (I remember after they fired Frank, Pederson (sp?) called Urban Meyer to see if he would be interested in coming to Nebraska.   Meyer said, no way.  He said he couldn't believe that they would fire a coach who had a 9 win season.  Meyer thought that was crazy as did many others.)

The bold: I know the feeling.  One could argue that Osborne did more with less than Saban and Meyer.  Yes he (Tom) had a lot of talent but he also built the program on walk ons, and a lot of 3 star linemen.  Part of coaching is development and not game day coaching.  Tom was top in regards to development - the S&C program, the walk ons, the 5th year linemen- pipeline building, etc.  Yes we had talent but he had to work harder then Saban or Meyer ever had to in order to get those talented skilled players.  If you haven't noticed, we aren't in the recruiting hotbed.  Besides that - he has sustained success at 1 school for 25 years. That is unheard of. He was an offensive genius ahead of his time as well. A lot of what we see with today's spread and zone read offenses is built on isolation - getting the player in space - Tom did that wt the triple option and ran it to perfection. These are reasons I think Tom was the best coach. Being the best coach is about winning the most NC - so many other things involved.  Besides I believe he got screwed out of the NC in 82 and 93 and was so close 2 or 2 other times.  I still think if he had coached another 5-7 years he would have added 1-3 more.   But all of that goes to sustained success. Tom was close so many times while most coaches have or wish for that one flash in the pan year. 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

The bold: I know the feeling.  One could argue that Osborne did more with less than Saban and Meyer.  Yes he (Tom) had a lot of talent but he also built the program on walk ons, and a lot of 3 star linemen.  Part of coaching is development and not game day coaching.  Tom was top in regards to development - the S&C program, the walk ons, the 5th year linemen- pipeline building, etc.  Yes we had talent but he had to work harder then Saban or Meyer ever had to in order to get those talented skilled players.  If you haven't noticed, we aren't in the recruiting hotbed.  Besides that - he has sustained success at 1 school for 25 years. That is unheard of. He was an offensive genius ahead of his time as well. A lot of what we see with today's spread and zone read offenses is built on isolation - getting the player in space - Tom did that wt the triple option and ran it to perfection. These are reasons I think Tom was the best coach. Being the best coach is about winning the most NC - so many other things involved.  Besides I believe he got screwed out of the NC in 82 and 93 and was so close 2 or 2 other times.  I still think if he had coached another 5-7 years he would have added 1-3 more.   But all of that goes to sustained success. Tom was close so many times while most coaches have or wish for that one flash in the pan year. 

Not to nitpick, but Tom didn't use the option to get players in space.  He used it to get numbers, which is why we always ran it to the short side.  He did it with the playaction, but what really made him be as ahead of the game as he was is that he did both concurrently.  Fraziers senior season gave us the most deadly attack that college football has ever seen because they were able to introduce an RPO into the option, making it in fact a quadruple option play. Only a couple of quarterbacks since then have had the ability to reproduce it (Vick being the only one who was as efficient).  What many people don't realize is how much Tom actually did adjust his system for the quarterback he had running it.   The offenses that Joseph, McCant,  Frazier,  and Frost ran were night and day difference in many ways.  

Harbaugh has earned everything he's gotten. He inherited losing programs, turned them around immediately and had them competing at the highest levels. Helluva coach and motivator.

Then Harbaugh clashes with management and media and begins wearing out everyone around him, and the quirks that seemed fun and funny now just seem odd and people start to wonder if he's worth it. This usually takes about four years. Like I said, he's earned everything he's gotten. 

Urban Meyer has also earned everything he's gotten. He's about the best insurance you could have. A no-brainer for any program.

But at the particular time and place, I think the younger coach who just went 13 - 0 to become the most sought after HC in college, the guy who already wants to be at Nebraska more than any coach in the world, is the best of the three. If Urban Meyer and Nick Saban had one more chapter left in their coaching careers, I don't think they replicate what they did as hungrier young men in Scott Frost's position. 

• Plus1 4
51 minutes ago, Bornhusker said:

Harbaugh has only been there a short time. Frost won't win the division in 3 years, of course it will be harder here than Michigan, but regardless, it has only been 3 years.

That's fair. But, his seat is starting to get a little warm. His recruiting rankings have so far been ranked #50, #4, #4 and currently #17 (according to Rivals).

People up there are going to start expecting some hardware in the next couple of years with recruiting classes like that and I think that's a fair expectation. They at least need to win the division soon.

10 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

Not to nitpick, but Tom didn't use the option to get players in space.  He used it to get numbers, which is why we always ran it to the short side.  He did it with the playaction, but what really made him be as ahead of the game as he was is that he did both concurrently.  Fraziers senior season gave us the most deadly attack that college football has ever seen because they were able to introduce an RPO into the option, making it in fact a quadruple option play. Only a couple of quarterbacks since then have had the ability to reproduce it (Vick being the only one who was as efficient).  What many people don't realize is how much Tom actually did adjust his system for the quarterback he had running it.   The offenses that Joseph, McCant,  Frazier,  and Frost ran were night and day difference in many ways.  

Agree - I should have clarified - the space is created when the #s are overwhelming- you get QB,RB, pulling Guard coming towards a LB and DE and they have to choose - which allows the QB or RB to get the space needed - isolate the defender and the ball goes to the RB or stays wt the QB or surprisingly QB pulls up and throws a pass.

I hate Urban but you can't compare eiter of the other two to him (based on championships at the top level of college football).  I don't follow Michigan closely enough to judge but feel like people are likely beng a little tough on JH (not that he doesn't deserve it to some extent).  College football doesn't allow for "reloading" until you've dominated your conference (like Ohio State has) for the better part of a decade so I expect it has to do with personnel changes.  Stanford had one conference championship under Harbaugh.  The guy won 10 in his first two seasons at UM, though, and their worst loss in the past one was probably the bowl game.  Our guy won an American Athletic Conference title and a bowl game against a favorite.  A little too much has been made of the winless season UCF had, too.  They had not been so helpless in the years immediately preceding it (though you could find another winless season without going too far back either).  I'm just saying it's not like they were Kansas.

Edited by beorach
misspelling
  • Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Harbaugh has earned everything he's gotten. He inherited losing programs, turned them around immediately and had them competing at the highest levels. Helluva coach and motivator.

Then Harbaugh clashes with management and media and begins wearing out everyone around him, and the quirks that seemed fun and funny now just seem odd and people start to wonder if he's worth it. This usually takes about four years. Like I said, he's earned everything he's gotten.

Yeah, people are making Harbaugh out to be some type of chump coach when he really is not. 

What Harbaugh has done at prior stops is pretty amazing.  Took at USD team that averaged 5.5 wins/year over the prior 5 seasons and won 11 games with them in years 2 & 3.  Took a 1-11 Stanford team to 12-1 his 4th season (as well as beating #1 USC his 1st year there as a 41 point underdog!!!!).  He took a 49ers team that averaged 6.5 wins/year over the prior 5 seasons to 3 consecutive NFC title games (and averaged 11 wins/year in SF).

As far as Michigan, he took a team that averaged 6.5 wins/year the prior 3 seasons and won 10 games in each of his 1st 2 years.  And yes, they did go 8-5 this year.  We would be jumping for joy if Frost can get us to 10-3 his first 2 years here.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, ladyhawke said:

I know what you mean.  My husband asked me why I disliked Saban so much.  I said, because I don't want any coach to beat out Osborne.  Silly, I know.  There's just something about Saban that just rubs me the wrong way.  Maybe I'm just jealous that he wins so much.  Meyer, I don't know.  I remember when Tim Tebow left and that team started to go downhill.  The next thing you know is Meyer is jumping ship.  Hopefully, he won't do that to his alma mater.  Harbaugh is a question mark.  Again, if he has high quality players he seems to do well but I think he would still be in the NFL if they hadn't have let him go.  But he said he wasn't going to leave when a reporter asked him about the NFL after they lost their bowl game.  I know that Coach Osborne lost a few doozies too.  Don't pay any attention to me.  I'm still mad that UCF got screwed out of being able to play with the big boys. I don't like the current play off system but it's what we have.  (I remember after they fired Frank, Pederson (sp?) called Urban Meyer to see if he would be interested in coming to Nebraska.   Meyer said, no way.  He said he couldn't believe that they would fire a coach who had a 9 win season.  Meyer thought that was crazy as did many others.)

To the bolded, I feel the exact opposite.  Urban Meyer makes my skin crawl.  He is a great coach, but he is a jerk and and a-hole, but wants everyone to love him and think he is a swell guy.  Sabin in a jerk and and a-hole and he owns it and doesn't care.  He is not trying to tell you he is anything but what you see of him.  

Harbaugh is a good coach  that gets immediate results, but I think he does wear thin quickly with his quirks and rubs his bosses the wrong way.  I think he has Asperger Syndrome.  

Edited by NUinID
  • Plus1 1

There are some tough critics in this thread. It is really hard to have a great season in CFB let alone to sustain that over a career. The OP of this thread is basically claiming that Frost is going to win 4+ NCs and string together many top 10 finishes. To be fair to Frost I would pump the brakes on that a bit.

I would be very happy with the young coach that you landed and how well he will fit at Nebraska. That is more important than comparing him to Saban, Meyer, Harbaugh, or Swinney. 

• Plus1 1