Russia

21 hours ago, commando said:

do you think putin wouldn't use nukes if we go kick his troops out of ukraine?  is it worth the risk of ending civilzation to find out?

I have trouble believing Putin would trigger mutually assured destruction over conventional weapons used against him in one of his provincial wars.  He probably would if we attacked undisputed Russian territory. 

19 hours ago, commando said:

but i am not a dem.....i am life long republican who is critical of what the far right is doing to the party.....i did vote for biden because he was not on either extreme of the political spectrum.    but i would prefer a true conservative instead of a conservative warrior from the far right.

You voted for the Bushes either time?

6 hours ago, nic said:

I have heard chatter that we might stop Russian energy imports. It has bipartisan support, even from Pelosi. How long will it take to implement? …and ratchet up our production at home or at least get more from Canada and Mexico. Maybe the new interest in Venezuela is for oil???

It may be a case where the only Russian oil available is already at seas and headed for US refineries.  It doesn't really help to divert them so another country gets it.  

Yes we have to be mindful when other foreign powers gain influence in our back yard. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

*When asked about production targets for 2022 during a January earnings call, ExxonMobil CEO Darren Woods responded, "The primary objectives we've had in looking at the portfolio is less about volume and volume targets and more about the quality and profitability of the barrels that we're producing."

Straight from the horses mouth. 

That sucks and I don’t understand it at the oil prices we are seeing. 

Sad thing is, how do you force them to drill more?

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's an easy answer, but an uneasy solution. And one that the right will despise.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, ZRod said:

It's an easy answer, but an uneasy solution. And one that the right will despise.

Actually, now that I think about it, we might be able to accomplish this with simply some awesome marketing. 

Othrr companies have stepped up and stopped doing business in Russia after simply being asked to. 

Ok….market the s#!t out of stuff like the quote above. Make investors pissed. I’m more than willing to figure out how to not be invested in these companies if they have that attitude. I’m guessing about 60-70% OC Americans would say that now. 

Go on a major marketing campaign about this. 

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Actually, now that I think about it, we might be able to accomplish this with simply some awesome marketing. 

Othrr companies have stepped up and stopped doing business in Russia after simply being asked to. 

Ok….market the s#!t out of stuff like the quote above. Make investors pissed. I’m more than willing to figure out how to not be invested in these companies if they have that attitude. I’m guessing about 60-70% OC Americans would say that now. 

Go on a major marketing campaign about this. 

They won't give a crap. Oil is like healthcare. At this point it's a necessity and the oil companies basically have a monopoly over supply. Consumers can't dial back their demand because our whole way of life in this country depends on it, and there's not incentive for the oil companies to drive down prices. The only real way I see to influence them is with government intervention.

• Plus1 1

31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He said nothing about not drilling for more volume.  He just said volume isn’t a target.  If the profitability per barrel fits their model, they will drill as much as possible to maximize those profits….based on what he said.  

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I have considered what an escalation could possibly mean and I’m still for it.

What Russia is doing in Ukraine just should not be allowed. I say F Putin and do what’s right. If that ends the planet….it is what it is. We’re all going to die some day.

The problem is we are not prepared. We could build up as a threat I suppose but it would be obvious. Poland will give Ukraine old Migs, in exchange for F15s and other fighters from the US. I hope the Javelins, stingers and anti aircraft weapons we send are enough. I heard we are getting them there quickly. Economic sanctions can be somewhat offset by China if China is willing to finance this war. It seems they are. My hope is that Russia continues to look inept on the battlefield and the little guy can win with support. It would be incredible if they could pull it off. When the 40 mile Russian convoy got "stuck" all I could think of was the highway of death in Iraq. We took that large of a convoy out in one day.

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, nic said:

The problem is we are not prepared. We could build up as a threat I suppose but it would be obvious. Poland will give Ukraine old Migs, in exchange for F15s and other fighters from the US. I hope the Javelins, stingers and anti aircraft weapons we send are enough. I heard we are getting them there quickly. Economic sanctions can be somewhat offset by China if China is willing to finance this war. It seems they are. My hope is that Russia continues to look inept on the battlefield and the little guy can win with support. It would be incredible if they could pull it off. When the 40 mile Russian convoy got "stuck" all I could think of was the highway of death in Iraq. We took that large of a convoy out in one day.

Just a personal fear I have. I have raw materials that are only made in China. That’s the only place in the world. If China starts playing hard ball, my entire industry might be shut down. 

42 minutes ago, nic said:

Trust me, we are plenty ready to provide air support and enforce a no fly zone on short notice. That is all I’m proposing and all Ukraine is requesting. Obviously we do not have a ground invasion force ready. I’m thinking wings in the sky, not boots on the ground.